Vengeance (2022)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Vengeance (2022)

Tagline: Find the story before it finds you.

Genre: Thriller, Drama, Comedy

Director: B.J. Novak

Cast: B.J. Novak, Boyd Holbrook, J. Smith-Cameron, Lio Tipton, Dove Cameron, Issa Rae, Ashton Kutcher, Isabella Amara

Release: 2022-07-29

Plot: Ben Manalowitz, a journalist and podcaster, travels from New York City to West Texas to investigate the death of a dog he was hooking up with.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This just came out on Peacock so I gave it a watch. Its actually really good. Good little murder mystery with some good jokes thrown in there.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Plot: Ben Manalowitz, a journalist and podcaster, travels from New York City to West Texas to investigate the death of a dog he was hooking up with.
Has he been doing this the whole time and I haven’t bothered to notice? 🤣

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This was pretty good. We enjoyed it.

BJ Novak does a pretty good job of making a caricature of both elitist NY liberal and country Texan while letting the plot and characters grow. His character is pretty much a presumptuous liberal New Yorker writer asshole that knows nothing about Texas. And the Texas family is, on the surface, a stereotypical dumb simple group. But the whole thing pokes enough fun at both and admits that a lot of his preconceptions were misconceptions, or at least misunderstandings.

I will say that I think he was trying to do a lot with the Quentin character and some of it dragged a little too long or got slightly overplayed. The whole movie paid off along with all the other stuff going on, but was very close to being overdone, if not slightly crossing. And since BJ Novak directed and wrote it, I think he also tried to do a lot of homages or winks and nods to other tropes.

But it was good. I think this is his first feature and I’d definitely be interested to see what else he comes up with.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Novak has been a pretty good writer, Threat Level Midnight was great

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think he also tried to do a lot of homages or winks and nods to other tropes.
There are at least two chekhov's guns in this movie, one of them I caught before he even mentioned the second.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I never saw that this thread existed because I've had op on ignore for so long.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

yeah, watching now via prime. not done, but do have to recommend so far.

It really does walk the line between mockery and earnestness so well. the MC constantly gets "am I a giant piece of shit?" checks. The whole thing hits the pacing of a great true crime documentary.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database