Virtual Reality

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Have there been enough units moved to support another generation being produced? I'm pretty ignorant about VR in general, but I would think mass adoption of the technology would be the biggest hurdle.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have there been enough units moved to support another generation being produced? I'm pretty ignorant about VR in general, but I would think mass adoption of the technology would be the biggest hurdle.
I'd say signs point to yes. Jury probably out until Sony VR is released but I really doubt it is going to crash and burn.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I like the idea, but would have liked to see what cabling looks like, and how do you get controllers, how is it tracked (camera, lighthouses, etc) ?

LOVE the idea of it being user upgradable as higher resolution solutions become available. Was my first thought once the honeymoon period wore off.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes, but in many ways it doesn't matter whether the first generation is successful. The concept of VR is well proven and will be successful even if the first gen falls on itself. Beyond that, VR is limited by core technologies that will be developed no matter what for mobile devices.

VIVE, PSVR, Oculus knocking it out of the park speeds this along a bit because they're able to dump money into taking core technology and doing everything they can with it by developing supporting tech (ex: head tracking, optics, the SDK, game support etc).

VR is very cool now, will be incredible soon (2-3 years) and will be massive later (5-8 years).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Y'all are buying betamax VRs. I'm gonna wait to you dudes figure this one out.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Y'all are buying betamax VRs. I'm gonna wait to you dudes figure this one out.
I owned one of these:

rrr_img_136330.jpg

And a huge collection of these:

rrr_img_136331.jpg

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Have you tried setting it higher than 1.6?
I set mine to 1.7 last night and just used it briefly before going to bed, but I didn't notice any real stutter/slowdown on my EVGA SC 1080. People in the Reddit thread were talking about setting it as high as 2.5, but that seems like itd only work for simple games.

Gonna try setting it up to 2.0 tonight and then probably work my way back down.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I set mine to 1.7 last night and just used it briefly before going to bed, but I didn't notice any real stutter/slowdown on my EVGA SC 1080. People in the Reddit thread were talking about setting it as high as 2.5, but that seems like itd only work for simple games.

Gonna try setting it up to 2.0 tonight and then probably work my way back down.
I have a 980ti. Will see how high I can get it without issue. What's the most intensive app/game to test it with, I wonder?

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Have you tried setting it higher than 1.6?
I tried 1.2-1.5 and it still seemed quasi blurry, and 1.6 was the sweet spot for me when I stopped noticing it at all. After reading how it worked I didn't see much use in increasing it further. For anyone interested there is an internal multiplier 1.4 that you're multiplying by. So 1.6 would be really 1.6*1.4, I've included a chart I've stolen below to show how the multiplier scales to the super sample resolution.

1.0 is 3024 x 1680
1.4 is 4234 x 2352
1.5 is 4536 x 2520
2.0 is 6048 x 3360
2.5 is 7560 x 4200
3.0 is 9072 x 5040

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
This was mildly entertain, most of the stuff I've seen have been mostly demo type stuff to show off the BR. But not really long lasting entertainment. Also this guys channel is pretty good if you remember old games/dos and such.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
PSVR games looking kinda pricey, hope a number of the ~50 titles for launch are low cost PSN releases.

$20 for a 1 hour Batman game (if initial news of duration was correct) and $50 for Rigs seems like a bit much. Retail release/console tax I suppose?

By comparison, there are 0 titles for the Vive on Steam, of the 322 compatible, that are above $39.