Virtual Reality

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
dude the cloud will let u solve all these problms so ez what u woried bout.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
i'd like to see them incorporate some decent 7.1 headphones/microphone into the design somehow. Seems like wearing the unit and then using any sort of headphone unit along with it would be quite awkward.

Column_sl

shitlord
The whole point is not adding weight..

Although there current unit seems to work with any headphones just fine.
If you want the best experience get some wireless Astro a50s.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Seems like wearing the unit and then using any sort of headphone unit along with it would be quite awkward.
Not really. It's just an elastic headband so there's nothing there that would interfere with a set of headphones.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know what exactly they're planning on doing with the 75mill they just got but if the new prototype is as good as thye say and they opened pre-orders after demonstrating it at CES2014 I'd bet they'd get enough money in a month to build a large scale production of Rifts.
They've said they have 100 engineers between the offices in CA and TX. I don't know what a top flight electrical/software/mechanical engineer living in CA makes per year but it has to be decent right? Even if they were only paying those guys 100k each that is still 10 million just on payroll, then you've got lease costs, production costs, HR stuff, advertising, etc. I bet they can burn through that 75 million.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah they can certainly spend it. I saw an article that they are planning on using the money for inventory and marketing (Rather than R&D) so I think it's pretty focused on rolling out the consumer version.

Will blow my mind if I see a Rift commercial on TV. Kind of like the first time I saw a WoW commercial.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They're targeting $300 so it shouldn't be too bad. Affording a rig that can properly use them with AAA games might be expensive enough.

Column_sl

shitlord
300 is a bargain if they can really do the 4k they are claiming. Not sure what kind of computer you would need to drive that resolution tho.

You need the game to be silky smooth otherwise it causes massive motion sickness.

Column_sl

shitlord
They have a space sim out right now thats pretty cool, you play as kind of a robotech space fighter.

Strike Suit Zero

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
$300 is about a third of the price I thought they might be. That's good news.
We will see. Maybe it'll b north of 1000. Right now their best internal unit is a hacked up Samsung phone. They really want an oled display for its quick switch rate but only Samsung and lg make them. If they have to pay out the ass for lg to share or make their own they will probably ow passed their target price.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
They're targeting $300 so it shouldn't be too bad. Affording a rig that can properly use them with AAA games might be expensive enough.
Indeed. While I think 4k displays would be awesome, you have to remember that your PC needs to be able to render 2 displays at that resolution. I don't think they'll be 4k displays.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Very unlikely that the first version will be 4k. 2k is more likely.

Going to be really expensive trying to max out AAA games on Rifts. They'll for sure release 4k versions with 120hz refresh rates. Combine that with how bad fps drop is on an HMD and those things will be system killers.

Column_sl

shitlord
They should just release the version they already have as another dev kit.

Who cares about all this 2k/4k stuff, i'll just take the 1080p version they have been demoing for the last year...

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
They should just release the version they already have as another dev kit.

Who cares about all this 2k/4k stuff, i'll just take the 1080p version they have been demoing for the last year...
*Raises hand*

Maybe it was a childhood spend growing up and learning from the Carebears, but yeah, sign me up for the max/best/uber version of this. 4k? Yeah, I mean, since there is no "Have a surgery to get ocular implants, or brain jack installed" version yet, I suppose I'll take a 4k version.

If they announced they were releasing a $15,000 setup that included a force feedback haptic full body suit, where you hooked yourself up to some rigging, and then were hung a foot off the floor, providing a full range of immersive movement and feedback as an option, well, I know where my savings would be going.

Look, Boy Scout Magazine promised me back in like 1988 that by the year 2,000 I would have virtual fucking reality, I'm ready to go full on with this shit.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
4K fyi is not really 4k and is just double the horizontal and verticle pixels of 1080p, just the primary marketing stat has shifted from the vertical in 1920x1080 resolutions to the horizontal in 3840x2160 resolutions. Still hasn't reached actual 4k so it's a really goddamn shitty marketing term used that is probably a left over from recent digital 4k cinema projectors (they actually use a bit higher resolution that is a bit above 4k unlike the consumer devices and panels that have the aforementioned resolutions).

Also 2k doesn't exist unless you are referring to 1080p which i assume is what Tuco is referring to.

Edit: Does the occulus rift cover the entire field of vision with built in lenses or is there a significant amount you can't see (like goggle vision or motorcycle helmet). That will determine if 1080p to 4k will make a large difference or not. It probably would but I'd need to test it out. Can probably use my transformer infinity 1080p tablet to test the field of vision to see if the pixels are visible.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't cover the whole FOV. It's been described as like a scuba mask. The human FOV is so large that totally covering it isn't worth it. Another problem is that a wide FOV rendering of a scene gets really fucky after 100 degrees. There's another hmd I can't remember the name of that goes up to like 200 or something. They actually render each frame 2 times for each eye and stitch them together. I think the rift is targetting 90 degrees which is too low but the resolution and frame rate are much more important.

And 2k is just a nomenclature people are starting to use to describe 1080p. I would have preferred they called it 1k but the retarded marketing jump to 4k prevented that. At least 2k / 4k is easier to say than 1080p, 2060p etc.

Some guys created an infinitely repeating maze that occupies a real world space. Kind of cool but any game where I have to get off my ass isn't playable!
VR team presents infinite walking in virtual environments (w/ video)