Virtual Reality

Tetrian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Has anyone been able to find a way to get the I AM CARDBOARD shipped to europe? Amazon wont allow it :/

Tetrian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Nevermind - found it on the amazon.co.uk page
wink.png

Thank you.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So has the DK2 shipped at all yet? I'm seeing they are shipping in October and was thinking of grabbing one, but I'd like to know if it's worth it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
DK2s were first received a month or two ago. If you ordered today I think it'd be here by Halloween. If you're not planning on developing I wouldn't get it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
cardboard arrived (weekend/labor day took extra time) assembled in 1 min, it's cardboard so yea feels flimsy, i mean cardboard. loaded up google app, looked nice, i don't think they did the split image well, so i just one-eyed it.

head tracking works nice, i spun in my office chair. the app is like versailles tour, google earth (superman) tour, streetview(like your sitting in a streetview car moving) and youtube view. (you see hundreds of active channels and can click to view, like how bad guys have the walls of tv)

this is just 10mins to play with it. i did get a tinge of bile/metallic, so i'll probably get motionsick from this (i can't play fps anymore since i turned 30 for more than 45mins)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
DK2s were first received a month or two ago. If you ordered today I think it'd be here by Halloween. If you're not planning on developing I wouldn't get it.
You have made my pantalones not so happy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's like a $300 pre-order for the GearVR case, which seems like a huge ripoff considering the mobile device itself is some $800.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you have a DK2 Star Conflict is free and a fun game to use with it.
Thanks, I'll try that one out tonight. Haven't found much good material for DK2 yet. Helix was great on DK1 but kind of sucks on DK2. Titans of Space was the one demo I found that was incredible on DK1 and is still incredible on DK2, that developer just gets it. The Kon-Tiki DK2 demo is also good.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So had a chance to try one out, from a friend who got one of the newer versions...

Not really impressed all I got was a headache after 10minutes =/
So I tried it again, this time with my contacts on no headache after 10mins but after about 1.5hours I started getting vertigo badly hahaha(something that I would probably not even notice once I got use too it..)

weird thing my glasses/contacts are only for distance but seem to help my eyes better adjust for the OR unit, kinda interesting.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I tried it again, this time with my contacts on no headache after 10mins but after about 1.5hours I started getting vertigo badly hahaha(something that I would probably not even notice once I got use too it..)

weird thing my glasses/contacts are only for distance but seem to help my eyes better adjust for the OR unit, kinda interesting.
If you were able to make it over an hour wearing it you are very lucky, that is a crazy long time, the average person is going to get motion sickness way before that.

Yes you have to wear glasses just as you normally would. Your eyes are focusing on stuff in game similar to how they would in real life, if something in the game looks 100 yards out in front of you then your eyes are focusing like they would on a 100 yard out object. It is good that it works this way or everybody over age 40 would be screwed. My close up vision got worse and worse in my early 40's and I need reading glasses to be able to focus on something a few inches away from my face but I have no problem using my Oculus Rift.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Motion sickness doesn't bug me at all, honestly it is something I have never noticed my whole life.

My actual eye script hasn't changed at all sense I was 24, and even then it is a very miniscule adjustment needed for my distance sight. I did have a lot of fun playing HL2 with it though makes it interesting and can't wait for the better sound stuff.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The DK2 I ordered on July 25th has finally come into stock. I expect it to ship in the next day or two. I'm still torn, though. I think I might sell it since they are still going for 700ish bucks on Ebay.

Siliconemelons

The DK2 I ordered on July 25th has finally come into stock. I expect it to ship in the next day or two. I'm still torn, though. I think I might sell it since they are still going for 700ish bucks on Ebay.
I am still looking for someone who wants to donate a DK1 or 2 they are board of... tax credit :) if you have a 1 and are replacing it with the 2. I am looking into writing a grant to get one for our maker lab, but having someone(s) donate one(or more) would be great and you get a tax break... I think for "full price" of whatever it was when it released.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I tried a google cardboard tonight and the shadowgun VR and holy shit I was about ready to puke about 5 seconds in. I've never experienced VR before, but I now figure I will probably never be able to play oculus rift. That sucks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I tried a google cardboard tonight and the shadowgun VR and holy shit I was about ready to puke about 5 seconds in. I've never experienced VR before, but I now figure I will probably never be able to play oculus rift. That sucks.
There's a learning curve (getting your VR legs as it were) but VR can be nausea inducing if one of a handful of problems exist. It's only when all the stars align that it really is worth it.