Virtualization (VMware, VirtualBox, Hyper-V, ...)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Since virtualization generally has its own unique set of problems (and solutions), and I'm always messing with VMs, I figured I'd start this one.

I'm currently running a lab infrastructure at home using Hyper-V R2, and a bunch of miscellaneous VMs on some of my workstations using VMware Workstation 9/Player 5. One of these is Mac OS X 10.8.2. I can't, for the life of me, get the VMware Tools to work properly (no copy/paste outside the VM, video acceleration is sketchy). I know it's not entirely likely, but anyone done this?

Or, if anyone has virtualization nightmares to share, let's hear them.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Have you tried the VMWare knowledge base or users forums? It seems to me that VMWare's KB is most comprehensive one around.

Question: Does anyone have a good book/video/site that baby steps you through a start into virtualization? I have worked at Dell for 8 years and now help remotely install small/medium business SAN environments and find that my lack of base level Virtualization knowledge is a hinderance.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Have you tried the VMWare knowledge base or users forums? It seems to me that VMWare's KB is most comprehensive one around.
The issue here is that running OS X in a VM (that isn't VMware Fusion or Parallels, on an actual Mac) isn't supported by Apple, so no one officially cares about it.

I tried looking around and discussion is fairly readily available, but solutions, not so much. It's a kext issue, I'm sure. I just don't have an in-depth understanding of OS X internals, so I don't know what to avoid doing that might blow up OS X when I upgrade the tools (which happened yesterday; I was a dumbass, and didn't take a snapshot, so had to revert to a backup).

As to a start with virtualization, I'd say, find yourself a good virtualization blog and jump in using whatever spare resources you may have lying around. Most hardware won't run commercial offerings like VMware ESXi -- it has a very specific HCL -- but pretty much anything will run Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware Player (or Workstation if you feel like spending a bit) or VMware Server (old, but still a good place to start), VirtualBox (free for non-commercial use), Xen (if you're ready for some Linux-style hacking), etc.

A quick search led me here:http://www.van-lieshout.com/2009/08/...re-do-i-start/

There are dozens like it, and they aren't all VMware-related, but VMware is the king of the market right now. There are some basics covered here, and some instructions on how to set up a quick ESXi installation on portable media (so that you're not doing anything permanent to your server/workstation). Since ESXi has a free trial mode, one of many good places to start is just to throw the software on a USB stick and see what it's like to work with the real thing.

Some quick links for folks who've never seen this stuff:

Hyper-V comes as a role with Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2 and 2012, and Windows 8. You can also download Hyper-V 2008 R2here.
VirtualBox:https://www.virtualbox.org/(downloadhere)
VMware:www.vmware.com(and some quick download links toServer,Player,Workstation (free eval),ESXi / vSphere 5 (free eval))
Xen:http://www.xen.org/(downloadhere)

You have to register to download most things from VMware. Not sure about the others.

For reference's sake, I run VMware Workstation and Player on my desktops, and Hyper-V 2008 R2 on my server. My server isn't an enterprise product, so it doesn't have a network card compatible with VMware ESXi, and I don't have any iSCSI storage or an HCL compatible hardware RAID card either, so I can't consolidate storage in ESXi. These were the decision points for me. Ultimately, ESXi is leaps and bounds ahead of Hyper-V in a lot of ways, but it's also extremely picky when it comes to hardware compatibility.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I used VMWare back in the day in some network and server administration classes. It works really well.

I'm currently running Hyper-V on server 2008 R2 on my Torrent computer. I've got an Ubuntu 12.04 Server VM with Nginx that I've been working to set up as a webserver. The box has a dual gigabit NIC motherboard which is great. One is statically set for the main box, and one is solely used for VMs, worked really well to keep them seperated.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider

Question: Does anyone have a good book/video/site that baby steps you through a start into virtualization? I have worked at Dell for 8 years and now help remotely install small/medium business SAN environments and find that my lack of base level Virtualization knowledge is a hinderance.
If you have no idea about VMware - this blog has a walkthrough of getting a home lab going that is the best I've seen on the 'net. You need a pretty beefy desktop, but most gamers have a nice machine. Ram is cheap currently if you need more ram.

building-the-ultimate-vsphere-lab-part-1-the-story

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most hardware won't run commercial offerings like VMware ESXi -- it has a very specific HCL -- but pretty much anything will run Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware Player (or Workstation if you feel like spending a bit) or VMware Server (old, but still a good place to start), VirtualBox (free for non-commercial use), Xen (if you're ready for some Linux-style hacking), etc.
If you just want to play with it, ESXi will run fine inside of VMware workstation. You can have your desktop running workstation, running esxi running VMs - totally meta.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep, done this before -- it will do pretty much anything except virtualize fault tolerance, which is aggravating.

I've heard that you can virtualize FT within ESXi (e.g. 2+ virtual instances of ESXi within ESXi with shared storage), though, provided it's running on bare metal. Haven't tried it yet. I have a lack of spare hardware that can run ESXi.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I use hyper-v at work. Running 3 Host servers and 16 virtual servers. Haven't had any issues at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Probably going to migrate to Hyper-V 2012 at home shortly (like, sometime this week). Gotta get a full backup of everything done first so I don't lose my shit if (for some reason -- this is Microsoft, after all) it fails to run my Hyper-V R2 VMs.

We run ESX / ESXi at work. I'm not very involved in the host level stuff, due to crazy politics.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
We run ESX / ESXi at work. I'm not very involved in the host level stuff, due to crazy politics.
Prolly cause your VMware guy doesn't want anyone to know how little he really does.
tongue.png

I'm a VCP5-DV but we have a pretty small environment.

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I work in government... everyone silos everything. Although I think you may be partially right. =)

Our environment is fairly small. Only about 100 VMs. We're about to put another 1500 or so up, though, on new hardware... mostly virtual workstations.

Ratina

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have a blade center w/ attached SAN running ESXi on bare metal, and 2 infrastructure machines running Hyper-v at work. I am the only one who touches the stuff witch is a blessing and a curse. The guy I took over the network from was a disaster, I say that I am the FEMA of the company coz I would follow him around and fix his shit.
Want to build a vmWare Workstation lab at home because it will run ESXi as a virtual so I can reproduce my environment.

• 1Like

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I really, really wish that VMware Workstation would run alongside Hyper-V so that I could do the same, or that ESXi would run inside Hyper-V (which it won't, as far as I know).

It's probably a bit too late to figure out a way to install ESXi bare metal on my server, given that it holds about 9TB of video and such on a software RAID, which ESXi can't do without a whole lot of pain (like, for example, providing 4 raw HDs to a single VM, RAIDing them up and re-exporting the whole thing as iSCSI. Ugh).

I might just have to dedicate a laptop to running a virtual ESXi environment. What a waste.

Maebe_sl

shitlord
Anyone have any good forums on virtualization besides the VMware ones? A forum with all virtualization/cloud stacks in the one place would be cool.

rrr_img_3358.jpg

rrr_img_3358.jpg

rrr_img_3358.jpg

Vinen

God is dead
Yep, done this before -- it will do pretty much anything except virtualize fault tolerance, which is aggravating.

I've heard that you can virtualize FT within ESXi (e.g. 2+ virtual instances of ESXi within ESXi with shared storage), though, provided it's running on bare metal. Haven't tried it yet. I have a lack of spare hardware that can run ESXi.
I seem to remember going to a discussion at VMWorld 2012 discussing using Virtualized ESXi hosts.
Anyone heard of any limitations?

I can ask around internally at VMWare a little bit...

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I seem to remember going to a discussion at VMWorld 2012 discussing using Virtualized ESXi hosts.
Anyone heard of any limitations?

I can ask around internally at VMWare a little bit...
The only limitation I've seen is the one I posted above (virtualizing fault tolerance), and that's due to the difficulty of virtualizing CPU replay. If I recall correctly, you can bypass this in an ESXi host running on bare metal, but not in Workstation/Player/Server as the software won't let you virtualize that feature.

Seventh

Golden Squire
For those interested, I got this in some vendor spam from Hitachi today. I went to VMWorld this year, so I get about 100 of these damn things a day, but this one was actually useful.

Free eBook:

HDS: Hitachi Storage Virtualization for Dummies E-book

There's no confirmation, so you can sign up as Bigtittus Maximus with a random email address and it'll send you right to the download.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Has anyone ever worked on/had an issue with VMWARE Vmotion on 5.5 running much slower than line speeds between two hosts? I am having a 10gb link running moving between datacenters at around a cap of 1gb line speed. It is a layer 2 connection, i do not SEE it routing to a 1gb interface and out. It could...maybe.. be a mtu mismatch but I do not see how that could drop 90% performance. All connections show a 10gb speed/duplex connectivity with each other. Arp tables show it is going through the proper interfaces. It is in QoS priority 6 so nothing should be dropping it below 70-80% on a link that is never saturated. Iperf testing on a separate vlan between two linux hosts show me getting close to max connectivity.

This has been going on for a year, I DO NOT think it has anything to do with the network itself, but our VM bro keeps giving me the eye. I am about to create an 80gb LAG once i get a chance to burn the fiber, but if i get 8gb over an 80gb LAG im going to be pretty pissed off.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You're vmotioning VMs between physical datacenters? Madness I say!

Anyway, you positive all the nodes you are using have 10g links on them, and the 10g links are the nics assigned for vmotion and management traffic? Our nodes for example have 10g pci nics in them, but that connects to storage only, they run over the onboard 1g for vmotion and management traffic etc, but none of that is leaving the confines of their DC so it never really matters. If you have a 10g link between these two DCs and it tests at 10g speeds outside of vmotion traffic on these nodes, occams razor says its the nodes obviously. You on the network team it sounds like?