Voltron: Legendary Defender

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Column_sl

shitlord
Tried to watch the first episode, just wasn't for me. I'm sure it's good ,but I was bored the whole way through.

I think this is the same people that made Korra, and I didn't like that either. I think its the limited style animation combined with how it looks artistically that is turning me away from both series.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think it's the fact that I'm not 10 anymore. Don't get me wrong, loved this when I was younger. But trying to go back to my childhood is pretty much always a disappointment. I need to learn to not ruin my memories by trying to relive them.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The exaggerated anime like responses are the worst part of the show by far.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Yeah, the intro music sounds like an amateur midi intro from youtube. Actually all the music sounds like random 80s midi files.

However, it's definitely entertaining, and the angle they are apparently taking with the leader Shiro and him not remembering his time on Zarkon's ship seems like it could be pretty cool.
While I agree for the most part. I had this going on my surround sound and ep 9 near the end was pretty epic to me.

Also I just noticed this when doing a second watching of the show. If you want some just akward hilarity choose English - Audio Description (only other show I've ever seen this with is American dad.)

Radicale_sl

shitlord
Show is fucking pitiful. Allurra is a mulatto British speaking elf. Coran is an Australian ginger elf. The only thing that would have made this show better is if they got the original narrator (Peter Cullen.)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I loved how it was all "Each lion chooses it's Paladin".... and well... each of you is already wearing the color of one of the lions, so it could be that too.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I watched the first episode... I'll just say I wasn't impressed. It wasn'tbadbut it was just a normal Saturday morning cartoon from the 90s which I think even all but the youngest kids are over the simplicity these days. I guess I was expecting a bit more quality from Netflix - something more like Clone Wars/Last Airbender.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
The exaggerated anime like responses are the worst part of the show by far.
It's funny too because it's not even really anime, but the sort offauxanime that's produced by an American animation studio. Couple this with the chronic comic relief and it's just cringeworthy.

Now I don't hold the original to be some masterwork; it was a kid's cartoon, with the simplistic, often nonsensical plot you'd expect from one but still worthy and entertaining in its own right. The difference between that effort and this one is something I find common to most remakes/reboots/distant sequels of beloved franchises: an awkward self-consciousness that pervades the writing, usually manifesting as a lot of shamefaced exposition punctuated by fart jokes to "clear" the air.

This isn't some unavoidable consequence of having to appeal to a modern audience. It's the result of a generation of creatives who fail to understand (or at least accept) the essence of the source material they're working with and how to do it justice.

I loved how it was all "Each lion chooses it's Paladin".... and well... each of you is already wearing the color of one of the lions, so it could be that too.
All the mentions of "paladin" prompted the first rule in the rudimentary drinking game my brother and I played while watching this. I guess "space explorer" is just too plebeian nowadays.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only saw the first episode but liked it way more than I thought I would. They did a decent job (so far) of keeping true to the spirit of the original. I can't take most kids cartoons these days and I don't like most reboots so I'm surprised.

Not sure why so much criticism. Maybe it's because I went into it with the understanding that it's a kid's cartoon and not an adult anime, so my expectations were pretty reasonable, but I thought it was good for what it was.

Yeah, obviously there's going to be some cringeworthy puerile humor because of the target audience, but, again I expected that and there was less of it than I see in most of the kids stuff I see these days.

I'll watch the second episode.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
you can write for kids and still have it appeal for adults.
This is especially true when rebooting a 35 year old series.

It lacks some of the more mature and adult themes of actual anime. its like Korra, and other daytime US kids animation(various Marvel properties). Which.. is exactly what the writers and directors have history on.

Like the 10k year thing is handled really poorly. Zarkon is winning vs atlea. Atlea has super power space magic tech, invincible lions, castle, etc... and is losing somehow. They choose to hide the lions to not risk Zarkon getting them... Hidden for 10000 years. uh.. ok. Zarkon slowly conquers the universe over 10,000 years... New team finds blue lion. Wake up princess. who speaks English, british elf english. Space lion tech is STILL lightyears ahead of Zarkon somehow, despite 10,000 years, and countless worlds technology and energy being stolen. If they were so far behind, how the hell were they winning?
Paladins all dead somehow, but their weapons and armor were in the castle, while lions spread out in the universe. What happened to the old paladins exactly? How were they so much better trained, but at the same time so much less competent? Right from the get go, the back story is kindof dumb and full of holes.

Like, all of this is just garbage, because of the 10,000 year number. It plays out like something you would see in Avengers, Guardians of the galaxy, Gen rex, ben 10 etc. Super childish resolutions, and not really thought out. Maybe we'll get some cool reveal that the backstory is a LIE, and thats why it seems so silly. But, I doubt it.
no one forced the writers to put in such a silly backstory. And, they even seeming call attention to it a few times... so.. why? why was it written?

I think the Pidge stuff was done well. It was blatantly obvious. Then, later lampshaded with half the characters stating. oh? I thought it was obvious.

Keith has some relation to the Galra.

The lions are too weak by themselves in this, imho. Maybe this is only an early thing. But solo lions are getting their asses kicked by like everything, so far.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
We and the kids like this, other than the music. The music is pure ass, what were they thinking?

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I binged over half the season today at work. Feels very light on story. There are a couple arcs going but mostly it's been 'we're on the run and have to fix problem y because when we fixed problem x we used too much z.'

the rogue faction could be cool with their hidden bases, but I've already forgotten why Keith has that blade. Figured Pidge would have embraced her female identity more now that it's in the open but nope. Will be interesting to see how they break Zarkon's link with the black lion. Im guessing the setup from the first half of the season is to have the mermaids, the metal/tree people and the hidden faction do an all out attack at the end of the season. And where the hell is Lotor?

Despite my nit picks I'm enjoying season 2 so far.

Last edited:

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Just binge watched the 2nd season. Last couple episodes & last one especially I thought were great. Good action, music and ending for the season.

Definitely worth a watch.

Calling it now, Haggar is Allura's sister

Last edited: