War with Syria

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Can only hope our actions do not go beyond cruise missile and air strikes as that shit hole is not worth one American life.

iannis

Musty Nester
I can't imagine it will be air strikes. What it will be is a less-covert funding of local military groups which still exist, are still relatively effective, and are still willing to fight assad. I'm talking out of my ass without specific knowledge, but I have to see this as a token to increase our stake in what has become a proxy war.

We aren't going to fight anyone directly. We're gonna arm some rebels! WOOOOOOOOO. Yep, it's that time again.

Edit: Well, maybe we'd invade. Who knows. I guess that depends on exactly how much Obama personally hates Hillary, and how much he'd rather see President Christie.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The fucking irony of the people who started this thread being full bore Iraq War supporters to the extent that one of them literally served there is blowing my mind.

Szlia

It's a game of bluff. Obama said a year ago using chemical weapons is a red line that must not be crossed. Red line has been crossed. So you need to at least pretend you might do something about it, but it's all empty threats as long as Russia maintains customer service. On the up side, what Russia wants is a politically stable Syria that buys their stuff. They have no particular affection for the Assad family, which might leave some wiggle room to find some semblance of a solution.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Served in Iraq...love that these countries are in fucking shambles. Nice to see them turning all these weapons on each other instead of what they were doing before...bringing them across the boarder (into Iraq) to fucking shoot at us and blow us up. Let 'em burn.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eonan that type of mindset is kind of fucking retarded. I salute you for your service, sir, but to act like the Syrian people didnt peacefully protest at the ignition of the Arab Spring is naive. They only turned to violence once Assad decided to start using live fire on civilians. Shit has just degraded because of the length of the conflict( Al Nusra Front, Al qeada etc), 2 and a half years running. Aleppo is a battlefield, Homs is a battlefield, and now the outskirts of Damascus is a battlefield. Arab jihadis fight their holy war wherever it is convenient, and right now thats Syria.

Believe it or nor, but radical Muslims will fight eachother just as well as Americans or any other non Arab/Muslim faction. As long as there are ideological differences (in this case Assad being of the Alawite sect) and a cause (oppression of their people) then there is a breeding ground for jihad. Think about it, if you are a young Jihadi who wants to do something important in his life (to them anyway) you would probably rather link up with other like-minded Muslim fighters who are up against a Syrian government who is using Soviet era weaponry, and not the high-tech United States who is increasingly turning to asymmetrical warfare (drones, special forces, spies) and have an unliimited budget.

And if the United States does strike Syria, this will turn into a proxy war in a hurry. Russia will start to strike opposition targets covertly soon after, and kick up its support for the Assad government exponentially.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Served in Iraq...love that these countries are in fucking shambles. Nice to see them turning all these weapons on each other instead of what they were doing before...bringing them across the boarder (into Iraq) to fucking shoot at us and blow us up. Let 'em burn.
Yet again shitheads in Europe responsible for long lasting problems. Maybe if they wherent greedy fucks that carved up the Ottoman Empire's remains in such a way that ensured generations of strife that whole part of the world wouldnt be the problem it is today.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Don't we have a bunch of dudes like
rrr_img_41623.jpg
to go and wipe out the motherfuckers ordering wanton slaughter of their own citizens quietly, instead of being bogged down in conventional tactics?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
All I'm saying is they're flying the 1983 MiG 29s and shooting .50cal into the sky as "anti aircraft" weaponry.
Hmmm, what year do you think the F-14. F-15. F-16 and F/A-18 are from?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought a good portion of the rebels were Al-Qaeda? Why the fuck are we choosing sides in this? They're both terrible.