Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Semi related. Gladius is free on steam for a bit right now. A few random shitty other indie games announced. (One looks like a reskin of crossout or whatever with ork vehicles)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

No release date yet, but the game officially moved from Alpha to Beta. I was unable to find if this is a traditional beta, meaning feature complete, where they finish art, squash bugs, and polish it up, or if they are still adding things. They have a Alpha/Beta buy in, that now includes the first 3 acts, so people are playing around with it:

Official Dev blog video (2 min):

Beta overview from Mortismal Gaming (11 min):

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
bit early to be jumping into a beta for a game that doesn't even have a quarter targeted for release yet.

• 1Like

Burns

Can I turn Chaos is all I wanna know.
From what was previewed in that Mort video, yes. There is an influence mechanic that is broken down into Imperium (For the Emperor!), Heretic (Blood for the Blood God! Skulls...), and Benevolent (sounds like goody-little-two-shoes). They are currently tied to, at a minimum, what weapons/equipment that the party can use. I would assume it also changes what followers will join.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
From what was previewed in that Mort video, yes. There is an influence mechanic that is broken down into Imperium (For the Emperor!), Heretic (Blood for the Blood God! Skulls...), and Benevolent (sounds like goody-little-two-shoes). They are currently tied to, at a minimum, what weapons/equipment that the party can use. I would assume it also changes what followers will join.

That is at least two playthroughs because you know the Chaos dialog is going to be awesome.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Here it is described in game:
2023-06-02 09.59.43 www.youtube.com ef16bc7ab2cd.png

2023-06-02 09.59.59 www.youtube.com f02eff163e0d.png

2023-06-02 10.00.20 www.youtube.com a9ddd56d208a.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burns

Character creation is a bit underwhelming, when compared to Pathfinder:

Last edited:

Burns

Suprised they went with since care bear sounding 3rd made up alignment. if they had to I would have preferred something more being about fierce rogue independence of don't give a fuck.

Beta should be open now right ? I pre ordered
Most people play good as their first play through in DnD/Pathfinder games, and for many of those, that is the only play through they do. Being that 40k is "grimdark," I am sure the Imperium life will lean to lawful evil more than lawful good, if we try to put it on a DnD alignment scale.

So (I assume) they had to make it sound as goody-two-shoes as possible, just to try to appeal to more people. There is, most likely, a large percent of people that were fans of the Pathfinder games, that have never played a 40k game. I have played a handful of Warhammer games, but never heard of Rogue Trader before this.

As for Beta access: I don't know the details, but I think you need to go to the official Owlcat site for it, not steam.

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
How long did the betas for kingmaker and WotR last? I'll be waiting for the full release to play this.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

lets see. wotr. first beta was feb 2 21. second beta was may 5th 21, with release sept 2 21.

theres also been a ton of post release patching, enhanced edition, etc as well. Wotr has insane replay, something the thread doesn't comment enough on. so, this could potentially have play on release, then further replays later after patching.. assuming owlcat learned anything from wotr.. but, wotr's replay is also from its huge class system and mythic paths, which this does not have.

do go look back at the wotr thread... TONS of complaints about bugs. Bugs they are still patching right up to today. so that's kindof my point. I'm not sure I would recommend an owlcat game at release. Like Larian games, they are a mess at release. wait a year for for the EE, and 90% of the bugs to be squashed, and new content to be added/rebalanced.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
Character creation is a bit underwhelming, when compared to Pathfinder:

If it takes any cues at all from tabletop dh characters are largely specced by their gear load out. And xp sunk into shit will exacerbate good gear. Tho I haven't been following game mechanic talk

• 1Like

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeap beta live if you ordered, I'm torn on fucking around with it vs waiting a year. My backlog is so heavy it shouldn't be a big deal, but then again I've got a big 40k boner lately, and I forget what video tricked me into rushing to preorder this. Think the funny scene with the statue .

My job + farm life is unthinkable, I get maybe 2-3 hours a week I am on my computer. Luckily I can read foh at work. And my one overnight shift I need to start playing more stuff via steam deck.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Yes if you preordered at least. For being semi close to release, a laughable amount of "unavailable in beta in progress will be in release" type messages on backgrounds/skills etc.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Don't mess with this crap until its actually released. Srs.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
sandbox games can be fun to fuck with in alpha stage. Narrative and class-driven crpgs? Wait for it to be done.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users