WDTV/ Roku Streamers

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Anyone have one and how do they work with streaming things off your hard drive... etc.
Looking towards a WDTV so I can just get hulu + and steam pirate bay shit. discuss

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Roku + Plex = beautiful. I stream 1080p movies over my N grade wifi with no problems. Just watched Amazing Spiderman today. It's so freaking easy too.

spronk

FPS noob
I have roku, 2x boxee, old mythtv htpc, googleTV, supergamingPC attached to 60" led, xbox, ps3, new smart LG/Samsung TV with all apps, etc between me and my relatives houses. boxee is king by far, the UI and remote control are far superior to the others. It also natively plays the most video formats (except for my gaming PC of course) and has the best set of apps.

Roku is ok but its shitty at mkv, you have to have plex and stuff on a PC to transcode, whereas boxee can just see it as SMB shares and plays it straight up, even out of RAR files! For 1080p movies, you pretty much need a external USB drive or wired connection, wireless is too slow. At my parents house I have a 1gb (unpowered) USB drive attached to the boxee, and when I visit I bring a 64GB flash drive with a few movies for them to watch, takes a few minutes to copy to the drive. Boxee also works with new downloaded 3D movies (OU or 1/2 SBS format, not full SBS), although subtitles generally don't work.

If all you want is Netflix or amazon VOD, newer TVs come with all that shit built in. My dads samsung even has DNLA and USB support so it could theoretically play plexee served files or a thumbUSB, but the UI is seriously horrible and I'd never see him figuring it out in a million years.

You can get pretty complex with the boxee too if you attach a $100 1-2TB drive, like the drive is shareable on a SMB/linux network so you could setup a wintask or cron job to copy over new torrented files every day at midnight, and remote control into your PC to download torrents into a special Boxee-share folder. For my wife in the bedroom boxee, I copy over her retarded foreign soap opera films every night and she can pick which ones she wants to get next via a torrent RSS feed on her ipad.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had a WDTV Live for probably 3 years or more now. Works great, works fine with MKVs, and every file type I've thrown at it. I have it wired though, so I can't comment on how it does wirelessly with streaming 1080p. My only gripe about the WDTV Live is that the remote is tiny and easy to misplace...it's probably about the size of a normal garage door opener remote, or a micro-laptop mouse. Also it's not illuminated, so it's hard to see what buttons you are hitting when watching a movie in the dark.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've had a WDTV Live for probably 3 years or more now. Works great, works fine with MKVs, and every file type I've thrown at it. I have it wired though, so I can't comment on how it does wirelessly with streaming 1080p. My only gripe about the WDTV Live is that the remote is tiny and easy to misplace...it's probably about the size of a normal garage door opener remote, or a micro-laptop mouse. Also it's not illuminated, so it's hard to see what buttons you are hitting when watching a movie in the dark.
Get a Harmony, noob
smile.png
With that out of the way, I absolutely hated my WDTV Live. It streamed every format though, never had a problem with that. The UI was sluggish, it refused to obey the setting for when it would scrape the NAS and update the content. Almost every time I went to use it, it started updating and would make it unusable. Then replaced it with a Boxee and loved it. Interface was snappy, like the organization of titles better, and the apps worked more reliably. Unfortunately it up and died one day, just started flashing red when we tried to turn it on. Now back using the WDTV live with the Media Library functions turned off and just browse to the files manually. Harmony doesn't work with the Boxee out of the box b/c the remote is not IR, but pretty sure you can get a repeater device, kind of like what you'd do with a PS3.

Oh, and in case you do much Anime watching, I do not believe any of these streamers will play the new 10-bit encodes that are being released or are capable of ever being software upgradeable to make it possible. Got hooked on the Fall Anime Thread so thought I'd check out some of those shows and apparently the anime nerds think 10-bit is the second coming of Jesus and release everything in that now. Anyways, just in case. Never know what people are planning to use it for.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Another thumbs down for the WDTV Live here. It's half effective and getting worse every year. It won't do 10-bit (I also watch a lot of anime) and won't play some of what I throw at it, depending on how it's been packaged.

Best thing I ever did was get a cheap laptop and plug it into the TV.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Thumbs down for the WDTV in any iteration as well.

I did not like Boxee last time I tried it but that was a long time ago. I will try it again next time I get a wild hair up my ass.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
Ok so if a person <like myself> only wants Hulu + and to stream most media shit like Movies etc from pirate bay VIA a 1tb external hardrive with the "steaming" capability that needs to be a wireless connection via my router in the other room. Also doesn't care too much about 1080p streaming. Thats why I have a external hardrive maybe I can get a 1080p video from there. PLUS my wife is going to be upset if she doesn't watch her shitty ass shoes for example. "What not to wear" which I can download via a torrent and have them all for her. Basically Im trying to get out of a 160 dollar charter fucking cable bill that I can lower to 45/month + Subscription to Hulu or Netflix or some streaming bullshit.

If anyone understands what im getting at... please help =)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Qnap NAS and a DLNA TV. Samsung sets are pretty amazing in what they offer now and well worth it.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I have a Roku in the bedroom and we love it. Dumped cable/sat a year ago and don't really miss it. The living room is the gaming area. Xbox and ps3 to a decent Sony LCD. The ps3 is just a glorified bluray player.

I've been thinking of doing a media pc in the living room. Have a i5 2500k w a ATI 6950 that never gets used. What would be the best way to start with that?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That PC is more than enough for an HTPC. Get yourself a wireless keyboard/mouse, plug the HDMI output into your TV/AV Receiver, and enjoy your HTPC. Do you want to use it for a DVR or just to play Netflix/Youtube/ripped movies/etc?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WDTV is great for one thing, plug and play many formats. It's perfect for me and retard mode usage, doesn't do HD wireless streaming worth a fuck. But there's just way better options out there now if you look, especially for streaming media stuff.

But for me? Torrent whatever I want, throw it on USB stick, plug it in. Plays everything I've thrown at it. I'll upgrade eventually, but had no reason to yet personally.

Not sure how the WDTV Hub thing works though, with the built in hard drive and more streaming options.

spronk

FPS noob
I've been thinking of doing a media pc in the living room. Have a i5 2500k w a ATI 6950 that never gets used. What would be the best way to start with that?
Get the tiniest enclosure you can, there are a bunch on newegg. You can hook up a OTA antenna if you want to get the local channels in HD, and all the media software supports PVRing stuff too. Worth it for sports and stuff, other shows are all torrentable. Get a cheap bluray drive in it too ($40 or less) for those random DVDs or audio CDs. Get at least a 2-3TB drive, with room for a second drive in the future. Internal is better than external imo.

If there is any way to have a wired connection for your media PC, do that. Wifi is ok, but you will end up waiting for shit and wifes don't like that, plus remote desktop control is much faster over wired. Wifi will work fine though, just have to plan ahead a little more. As said get a nice wireless remote, you can use a ultraslim keyboard/mouse combo one but for the wife I'd suggest using an iOS or android app, if she has a smartphone. or a ultra simple bluetooth/IR logitech remote.

I'd recomend plex or windows media center as your htpc software. You will want to think carefully about how you "feed" video in, you want to do it as painlessly as possible. Suggest a large enough hard drive on the htpc itself (not your main PC), and a torrent software that supports remote access. Setup RSS feeds from your favorite torrent sites, and use the HTPC frontend, android access, or your main PC to pick and choose which torrents to download, and delete. You really want the torrents to be right on the HTPC itself, copying them back and forth from your main PC gets very tiresome. The HTPC can act as a share as well to feed ps3, roku, boxee, etc to other TVs in the house or to smartphones/tablets/laptops.

Obviously setup your firewall to allow your htpc torrent access, remote torrent sites will see both your main PC and htpc as the same "source" so you can download from both no problems, at least I have so far.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the info! Is there are problem with the HTPC being my main pc? The rig mentioned above is my gaming machine but since I haven't played an MMO in a year it just sits. I use my iPad for general browsing and consoles for gaming since the 8 yr old has started getti g into them.

fris

Vyemm Raider
we ditched cable about 2 years ago, rocking Hulu Plus and Netflix and loving it. we just got amazon prime just for the shipping and discounts, the streaming there doesn't seem to offer anything we want that couldn't already get for free. might be tempted to buy an episode of game of thrones if my 'other' sources aren't available in time come march.

I've got a media center PC. my first one was juts my old gaming system I upgraded. When it finally died, I built one from scratch in a media pc case. sit in the stand under my tv and looks like a receiver. here's a great site for picking how much processing power you need:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

if you're building new, the new I3 procs w/ intel 4000 integrated video will do just about anything, so no need for an upgraded video card. toss in 8gb of ram and an ssd and you'll have a quiet and cool system.

the review for the boxee here have been helpful to me, as we're thinking of getting another setup in the bedroom since our main system downstairs is stuck on Dora the Explorer thanks to my 3 year old. I think the Boxee (or something similar in size) would work fine for the bedroom with a decent 40+ LCD. I don't know how well those smart TVs can stream stored movies/shows from our NAS.

for the living room, my wife will sometimes do some simple Office apps and web surfing, so windows OS feels more needed.

assuming a good wireless N connection, can the Boxee box stream 1080p from a NAS ok?