Website recommendation

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've been given a task at work, since I'm apparently a technology expert due to my ability to operate Microsoft Word properly. Anyway...

I've got about a hundred links to various audio/video recordings scattered in various places around the web (e.g., Youtube, MP3s on websites, etc.). I need to set up a page where all of these links are located and organized into categories. Additionally, it needs to be 100% free and allow enough customization to be branded with our logo and colors. It should be user friendly to use, and also user friendly to edit/add/remove links and categories.

My first idea was to just set up a pretty simple blogspot page, but I'm curious if there are any better options out there for this sort of thing? I'm not sure how customizable that is, or how well that blog format would work for what I need to make. The last time I had to do something like this was back when Geocities was a thing, so that tells you how much contemporary knowledge I have about setting up blogs/webpages.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider

Buy a domain name and host the website on your company's webserver?

Jesus Christ blogspot for a company? How many employees work at this place? Why the hell would they put you in charge of this. Some random receptionist with a few community college credits in computers probably has learned more about setting up a website than what you seem capable of.

If your company cannot afford 10 dollars a year for domain name registration... and doesn't have a spare computer sitting around that could be used as a web server... well, that just seems like a pretty piss-poor place to work.

edit: and to add a somewhat serious answerHow Much Does It Cost to Set Up a Website? (thesitewizard.com)

McCheese

This is just a simple thing my department wants to set up, it's nothing official or important which is why it needs to be free. My first suggestion was to buy a simple domain name from Godaddy or something and throw everything into one of their professional looking templates. Normally I'd put all these links in SharePoint, since we have a very robust SharePoint portal set up already. However, this collection of links might need to be accessed by people outside my department, and they won't have access to our SharePoint, thus the simple external site.

I was just curious if there was something I wasn't aware of. If my only real choices are cheap domains or free blogs sites, I'll just toss it all onto a free blog site and call it a day.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
ftp folder with a notepad file with hyperlinks

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Google docs text file/spreadsheet with hyperlinks?

Can share it with whoever you want, and give access for editing it to whoever you want

And all web-based and free

McCheese

Awesome, +1 joeboo. I forgot about Googledocs, that's the perfect solution. Thanks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
People outside your department aren't on the same Sharepoint server?

If Azure AD is set up, you don't even need to be on the domain to access the Sharepoint.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If Azure AD is set up, you don't even need to be on the domain to access the Sharepoint.
Azure as AD/federated trust is a horrible idea to allow access to internal resources of any kind. Don't ever. Ever. Seriously.