Weight Loss Thread

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Body for life food list/meal is not so much a diet but a way of eating for life. It's very successful for people and there are plenty of carbs thru grains. Lets not turn this thread into another paleo. My 96 year old Italian grandfather has eaten bread/pasta his whole life and still has all his health. Point being... There are so many factors at play here.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The diet he's put me on:

150-200g of lean meat and a handful of organic nuts for breakfast, then 5 other meals of 150-200g throughout the day. No carbs except vegetables, root vegetables not included.

I've been no carbing since Jan 1st anyway so that point hasn't been too difficult.
No fruits either? How long term would this be for? Sounds like a basic ketogenic diet which would imply relatively short term (usually) but I'm just curious. They definitely work but if you cant have fruit either I'm curious if he's deliberately asking you to get into ketosis and burn fat that way and how long would you be doing this.

The biggest debate I see about keto is how long to do it. Lyle McDonald has been writing on this forever, but I think all of his books are saying to do it to cut then get into a more "maintenance" diet. e.g.:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the...-loss-handbook
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rotein-qa.html

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Body for life food list/meal is not so much a diet but a way of eating for life. It's very successful for people and there are plenty of carbs thru grains. Lets not turn this thread into another paleo. My 96 year old Italian grandfather has eaten bread/pasta his whole life and still has all his health. Point being... There are so many factors at play here.
Yeah that's the Bill Phillips guy right? I have that book as well and yes it works if you follow it. Not really arguing that because I like his book and approach. Now when you say nutrisystem though that is pure crap from what I've seen and base calorie restriction. I cant imagine that working long term.

I'm not turning it into anything Paleo, keto diets are a common method of fat loss (see links above) and any fat loss thread that didnt discuss it would be idiotic.

Lyle perfected the Keto stuff after Duchaine died or around that time, but he doesn't cookie cutter it or say it's the best way to do things. He's an endurance athlete, as is mostly everything recent that he writes about being catered to that, and he ridicules the Paleo crowd regularly and generally people who take the mantra of carbs = death.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
He wrote a number of weight loss books all based on ketosis, certainly the three I linked are based on it. And by the way I am not one to hold up Lyle as some perfect source of information, just a well respected one. I plan to do UD2 that I linked pretty soon to see how I do.

Again we're talking Ketogenic not Paleo. As for general opinions on the high carb vrs high fat thing he is big on "context". You can read this for his take:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...es-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...es-part-2.html

He wrote a number of weight loss books all based on ketosis, certainly the three I linked are based on it. And by the way I am not one to hold up Lyle as some perfect source of information, just a well respected one. I plan to do UD2 that I linked pretty soon to see how I do.

Again we're talking Ketogenic not Paleo. As for general opinions on the high carb vrs high fat thing he is big on "context". You can read this for his take:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...es-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...es-part-2.html
Not to sound like a Lyle expert, but I've read everything on the site, as it was written there and other places over the past 10 years. He's been around forever and kind of took over where Dan Duchaine left off, although he's infinitely more intelligent than Duchaine was even if he won't admit it. He wrote books based on the best possible way to lose fat fast, in different types of context, and ketosis is usually the way to do that. One of his books is basically how to starve yourself without dying, and another is on drug use, and most of them are 75% the same info except for the ends. Furthermore, mostly everything in his books is in the articles he wrote.

You don't have to look hard to find him bashing the Paleo crowd, with good reason. He ridicules the Paleo community all the time, and has challenged Taubes to a public debate before.

He's also a proponent of intermittent fasting and when he attached his name to it, it blew up in popularity.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Feel free to bring it up in the paleo thread if you want me to talk about it.

@Convo you've inspired me to re-read Body for Life now. I seem to remember him suggesting the basic thing I always agree with and see across the vast majority of these books: eat whole natural foods. I also remember some kind of chart where he basically shows you how much of your plate needs to be protein, grains, veggies etc.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
^ LOL.

Anyone try this backloading shit? I'm not arguing whether it works or not, but isn't following that type of program just begging for diabetes basically? Spike your insulin levels as hard as you basically can at night between 6 PM and bedtime? What the fuck?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't *want* to hear or see you talk about anything, let alone faileo. But you'll post in your abomination of a thread anyway.
So stop bringing it up you fucking fool. If you need a slap down on it go to the other thread.

^ LOL.

Anyone try this backloading shit? I'm not arguing whether it works or not, but isn't following that type of program just begging for diabetes basically? Spike your insulin levels as hard as you basically can at night between 6 PM and bedtime? What the fuck?
I just started hearing about this recently but I dont know much about it. Some dude on another site keeps mentioning it, and I know that guys like Arnold and Columbu used to do it back in the day supposedly.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
They are semi accurate at measuring changes(mainly water), but the actual bodyfat numbers are meaningless. Watch the mirror and the scale.
yes, because my body stores water in my cheeks, arms, shoulder blades and all the other obscure places where calipers are used to measure body fat...rofl fucking fail, this post has had me lolling all day. retard

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'm looking for easy, quick, and healthy recipes that I can put together in 15 minutes or less with minimal cooking.

Right now I'm eating greek yogurt and fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc) for breakfast. For lunch I have a deli sandwich packed with 1/2 a package of lean deli meat (lean chicken or turkey), a handful of spinach leaves, swiss cheese, some honey mustard, and two thick slices of absurdly fiberous whole wheat bread. I tack on a pickle as a palate cleanser. For dinner I'm eating a sweet potato (cooked for 10 minutes in the microwave) with honey and cinnamon. When I get hungry I munch on celery / carrots with some peanut butter, fresh fruit (bananas, apples, mango's, etc).

After four days of this my energy levels are like a greek god and I feel better than I have since I was a teenager. I'd like to mix things up for dinner though, and I'm having a hard time finding easy dinners to make that focus on vegetables and lean meats with minimal fat/sugar added in.

Any recipe advice?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yes, because my body stores water in my cheeks, arms, shoulder blades and all the other obscure places where calipers are used to measure body fat...rofl fucking fail, this post has had me lolling all day. retard
I'm not trying to join in on the accuracy of calories, but yes, your body stores water all over the place.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
No fruits either? How long term would this be for? Sounds like a basic ketogenic diet which would imply relatively short term (usually) but I'm just curious. They definitely work but if you cant have fruit either I'm curious if he's deliberately asking you to get into ketosis and burn fat that way and how long would you be doing this.
]
It's not a traditional ketogenic diet (which I was following before) because the bulk of my calories are coming from protein. Before I was 5% carbs, 35% protein and 60% fat. Now It's more like 55% Protein, 30% fat and 15% carbs