Weight Loss Thread

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At your height/weight maintenance level at light activity level is 2100 calories. The fasting thing isn't going to affect this like 30+ percent. Not trying to bash on you, but it seems like you're not counting calories accurately. Probably portion size or something. And it's good that you want to work on this.
Yea, true I do eyeball rather than use a proper kitchen scale since the move. Lost ours in the move (well, some stuff still unpacked 14 months later) and haven't been using it since.

Good call.

5) Replace my kitchen scale to make sure portioning is being done correctly.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Whatever you do just don't go to a nutritionist. There is no accreditation for nutritionists and they know exactly jack and shit about how the body works. If you're going to go to a professional go to an accredited dietitian, or better yet, an actual doctor.

Vaclav

Vaclav you have actual medical problems dude, I doubt our bro advice will be very helpful for you. Most of the post in this thread are like "zomg I am 5'5 and 290lbs should I do starting strength and what should I eatz0rz???"

You have like significant medical issues I'd do exactly what your doctors say and discount what anyone in here says.
I'm aware - thus why I'm waiting for any big stuff - but I'm not too worried about small nudges. I've honestly (barring last month - but I was stressed to hell last month - and stress influences my problems) been almost symptom free for a year and a half now - I've got a little flexibility. The minute any symptoms come back though I'll definitely back off whatever I did without professional advice though.

But yea, I'm aware - part of why I tried to caveat and why before I tweaked HOW I was reacting to the input I was getting upset a couple. I realize it's a journey that will be MOSTLY me and the doctors - but some small stuff could help. Hell, Sterling's thought about portioning could be close to 100% of the problem since I stopped using my kitchen scale for portioning around 2 months before I started gaining weight... it really was an awesome brainstorm on his part. Next time I'm out I'll be replacing it. (or Sunday at the latest if there's only shitty one's at local places - since Viera has a Bed Bath & Beyond that should have a ton of options vs. Wal-Mart and shit close that probably have one or two options that might not be so hot)

Vaclav

Whatever you do just don't go to a nutritionist. There is no accreditation for nutritionists and they know exactly jack and shit about how the body works. If you're going to go to a professional go to an accredited dietitian, or better yet, an actual doctor.
It was probably a dietician and I was using the wrong term - it's someone that's part of the same medical group (different location however) as my GP, that my GP personally recommended.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just a note, but "fasting" 12 hours doesn't do anything with the way your body handles calories. You'll mentally get used to not having food for 12 hours, but your body will just go about business as normal. I would say that unless you are somehow sub-sedentary, 1500 calories is going to be maint. or below maint., regardless of how small you think you are. The body only reacts to "fasting" when you don't eat for 24 hours or more, and then it largely depends on how fat you are to begin with. If 1500(not sure I believe this number, honestly) gains you weight, you are not heavy enough for fasting to have a positive impact, and all your doing is just scheduling your calories over a given day, not "fasting." Given your specific health issues, I would see a dietician before you do anything. And a professional trainer because, again, your specific health issues. Keep the treadmill at comfortable walking speed, and only do enough lifting so your muscles/joints don't atrophy from non-use.

Not sure we have too many medical doctors on the forums who would know the ins and outs of your condition(s) and I'm pretty sure we don't have any pro nutritionists who have dealt with anything similar to your issues. I could be wrong. The only advice you -should- take from here is to seek professional aid in your diet/physical training, and just hang tight until you can do so.

edit: that's what I get for leaving the window open before replying. Glad to see everyone else agrees~

Vaclav

Not sure we have too many medical doctors on the forums who would know the ins and outs of your condition(s)
Heh, trust me, I think I know the entire list off the top of my head for the US experts on it - my condition is that rare. Occulodigitaldental dysplasia if it's of interest. Last I'd heard something like 1200 known cases worldwide, with 7000 estimated total based on occurrence rates or some such. Extra bonus is the neurologic symptoms aren't even a 100% thing - from what I see in the literature about 70% chance in men and 30% in women or something like that. [Which is kind of weird if you look at most neurologic conditions - all the major ones I know the details on seem to be female skewed]

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
heh, I go to a business association thing every Friday morning. One of those leads associations. Most times every morning a couple of the people will get up and to a talk about their business for 10 minutes, but sometimes they'll bring in an outside speaker. One morning they brought in one of the member's wives, who is a nutritionist. Her talk was alright and she seemed okay, not too much woo shit in there (don't get me started on the spinny cunt chiro that's actually a member). But the hilarious part is that her husband, who is the actual member in the association, is probably 5'4" and 300 lbs. Like, he's a gigantic fat mess. Nice enough guy and all. But it was really, really hard to take his wife seriously when she can't even get her husband to eat right.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've seen plenty of nutritionists advertising their businesses who are clearly overweight and broaching the obese range. I personally find that hilarious.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Your recent post reminded me I never went back to listen to the podcast again to confirm my understanding. You were right - the 6% vs. 66% was caloric burn, not fat burn. Their argument is that, "Yes, you will burn more fatduringlow intensity steady state cardio. However, high intensity interval training burns moreoverallfat due to the 66% increase in caloric burn." They don't explicitly mention the EPOC concept in their discussion, but I think they do imply its effects as they discuss a boost in mitochondrial production and oxidative activity caused by the HIIT.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I misunderstood what they were saying and you were right to question what I was saying. For me, the key point is that LISS works, but it's not optimal in any measure when compared to HIIT. I know HIIT isn't for everyone though, just like LISS isn't for me.
You know, it's a rare thing for someone on the internet to admit to a misunderstanding, so kudos to you, sir.

As for some other sources, it's actually been a while since I was into the idea of really getting into min/maxxing stuff, but I appreciated the approaches of leangains.com and bodyrecomposition.com. I'm not sure what amount of overlap there is with Norton and they probably come to some different conclusions, but they do seem to have a similar approach with an emphasis on actual studies and research analysis (they don't have a brosciency vibe around them). Plus, at least back years ago, they would respond to questions/comments on their articles. Again, you may disagree with it ultimately, but I think it's at least a decent place to get some reasonable viewpoints to compare against.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You know, it's a rare thing for someone on the internet to admit to a misunderstanding, so kudos to you, sir.

As for some other sources, it's actually been a while since I was into the idea of really getting into min/maxxing stuff, but I appreciated the approaches of leangains.com and bodyrecomposition.com. I'm not sure what amount of overlap there is with Norton and they probably come to some different conclusions, but they do seem to have a similar approach with an emphasis on actual studies and research analysis (they don't have a brosciency vibe around them). Plus, at least back years ago, they would respond to questions/comments on their articles. Again, you may disagree with it ultimately, but I think it's at least a decent place to get some reasonable viewpoints to compare against.
Thanks, I'll definitely check them out. When I first started looking into putting serious time in the gym I pretty much exclusively looked at bodybuilding.com articles. Needless to say, Layne Norton was a breath of fresh air from all those bro scientists.

In other news, did the stationary bike sprints routine (speed up to 175 rpm with 0 resistance, increase to max resistance and attempt to maintain that speed for 10-15 seconds, rest for 2-4 minutes) for the second time last night. I managed to do one more rep this week (did 4 last week, 5 this week). That shit sounds pathetic but god damn it's fucking brutal.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Moving, staying in a hotel for a few weeks while our apartment is readied... Dreamer bulk engaged. Holy fuck lifting while eating heavy is such a drastic change. Next time I cut I hope I remember how much life sucks while cutting and to get it over with quick.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I'm really digging that fitmatic site. My weight hasn't been moving much but my measurements have, so I'm able to see some results. Distant objectives are just difficult psychologically. Like I plant rows of green beans 10 down and 6 across and my asshole grandpa planted them 60 down. Until you finish you barely notice you're moving, and that sucks. Taking measurements is a PITA though, and I try to err on the side of underestimating progress to keep myself in reality.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
My wife and I are both dieting right now and trying to get into better health habits. We want to have kids and her OB GYN said that losing weight would help us out. I'm the typical Accountant / Gamer dude who doesn't exercise nearly as much as I should and could eat better so this is a good chance for me to get into better habits too. One of the things about me is that I can lose a ton of weight really fast but as soon as I stop working on it I put that weight back on just as fast.

Right now we're eating a ton of chicken and vegetables. We're also doing meal preparation where we will cook several days worth of meals ahead of time. Days when she works we don't eat together since she's a nurse and doesn't get home until 8pm a lot of nights (the upside is she only works 3 days a week but they're 12 hour shifts which is normal for a nurse). This helps both of us since beforehand we would both just do frozen dinners since they were "easy" to make after a long day at work. But with meal prep everything is cooked so you just toss it in the microwave for a few minutes and you still get your chicken, vegetables, rice etc. My one big weakness has always been snacking so I'm just really watching myself in that department and making better choices when I do. Instead of grabbing a Little Debbie snack cake I'm grabbing some trail mix and even then I'm cutting way back on reaching for anything outside of meal times.

In addition to that I got the treadmill down and am doing at least a mile or two a day on it. That helps me break out of the sedentary lifestyle that Accountants live and actually burn off some of my excess weight.

I've still got a LONG way to go but I've lost about 10lbs in the past two weeks and I already feel a lot better. My clothes are fitting MUCH better.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That's really good movement for two weeks. Hope you can stick with it. If you get sick of it just dial it back a little. Practicing portion control on the fly is critical to maintaining a lower weight long term.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think I fucked up my left shoulder doing squats. The benchpress motion feels fine (horizontal) but vertically it hurts like fuck. I think I kept the bar too low on my back and it was messing with my shoulder. Its feeling better today than it was yesterday and better than the day previously so hopefully it'll heal up fast.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
One of my issues has been the fact that I'm a Government drone and get lots of work from home days (telework). So I roll out of bed, trip over a cat and stumble into the backroom for the whole day. Unless I'm active about it I simply don't ever get up and move around. At least when I'm in the office there's the walk to and from the parking garage and I'm running around all day putting out fires. Not so at home. So that's another thing I'm keeping in the back of my head. On telework days I need to move more.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
One of my issues has been the fact that I'm a Government drone and get lots of work from home days (telework). So I roll out of bed, trip over a cat and stumble into the backroom for the whole day. Unless I'm active about it I simply don't ever get up and move around. At least when I'm in the office there's the walk to and from the parking garage and I'm running around all day putting out fires. Not so at home. So that's another thing I'm keeping in the back of my head. On telework days I need to move more.
Maybe get one of those fit bit watches just as a reminder to keep you mocing.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think I fucked up my left shoulder doing squats. The benchpress motion feels fine (horizontal) but vertically it hurts like fuck. I think I kept the bar too low on my back and it was messing with my shoulder. Its feeling better today than it was yesterday and better than the day previously so hopefully it'll heal up fast.
Sounds like an impingement. That's exactly what happened to my shoulder and I ignored it and "worked through the pain" for a few years until I couldn't even put a coat on correctly anymore. Had to use my other arm to slide the coat sleeve up and onto my bum arm. Needed surgery.

How the hell did you do that with squats though? It's more likely you did it with chest or shoulder exercises than on squats. Arm exercises could have easily fucked it up too because most tricep and bicep exercises put a lot of stress on shoulders, especially if not done correctly.