Weight Loss Thread

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
How many type 2 diabetics do you guys know that are in shape? You can blame it on this food vs that food or whatever else but they're almost always people who overeat.

Now if you wanna talk about the effects on hunger that certain foods have or talk about the combination of fats and carbs in cuisine (especially desserts) that leads to overeating and obesity that's a different story.
The layman's definition of type 2 diabetes is the state of being extremely insulin resistant. I don't know if I'm a victim of nutritional gurus, but my understanding is that type 2 diabetes is effectively curable by being active, burning off muscle glycogen stores, and giving insulin some place to actually store blood glucose to become insulin sensitive again. Anecdotally, I've read testimonials from type 2 diabetics who are no longer diabetic, but I've never met them personally.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And that's the type of diabetes we are talking about. Type 1 is where your body simply doesn't produce insulin (or a completely negligible amount)

Type 2 is "adult onset" and is almost always self inflicted.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Right. I guess what you're fishing for is someone to say type 2 diabetes is more activity related than diet related. My ignorant conclusion is that that's correct, but I'm not a doctor. I know there are countless athletes who consume 300+ grams of carbs every day and are not type 2 diabetic.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Right. I guess what you're fishing for is someone to say type 2 diabetes is more activity related than diet related. My ignorant conclusion is that that's correct, but I'm not a doctor. I know there are countless athletes who consume 300+ grams of carbs every day and are not type 2 diabetic.
It's certainly not activity related. It's completely diet related. But it's not rice or bread, it's a combination of things, like eating bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches and having cheesecake everyday.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
My problem with skipping a meal is that I'm aiming to eat about 168g of protein every day, and it's just not realistic to eat that in two meals (minus the little bit I get in my post workout shake).
Uh, just drink 3 shakes... that'd be like ~350 calories for 100g protein.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Uh, just drink 3 shakes... that'd be like ~350 calories for 100g protein.
That'd be one way to do it. Unfortunately, evidence shows more than 60g of protein in one sitting (2-3 hours) is pointless for protein muscle synthesis. That's saying nothing about how hungry you'd feel eating that much of your diet as a liquid and no gut fill.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Eat 6 eggs for breakfast, 12oz chicken for lunch, and a whey protein shake (60g protein) + almond milk for dinner, and have greek yogurt for snacks. Hit 200g protein spread out throughout the day like a boss.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Type 2 definitely has a genetic component to it. I know it runs in my wifes family, they basically all have it, wife got diabetic at second pregnancy, had to take insulin, it has now regressed but she is stil teetering on the edge, not even that overweight either.

Thats why I tell my kids all the time to watch what they eat, not all food is good for you. My older son is 14 and like 6ft, 135, but eats nothing but junk all day. The fucker will eat dry pasta if there is no snack shit around. He could pound out a whole box of cereal in less than a day.

The younger son is who I worry about though. He is going to be 12 now, but is 5'8" or 9" but 175. Quite chubby and loves to eat like a boss.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Type 2 definitely has a genetic component to it. I know it runs in my wifes family, they basically all have it, wife got diabetic at second pregnancy, had to take insulin, it has now regressed but she is stil teetering on the edge, not even that overweight either.

Thats why I tell my kids all the time to watch what they eat, not all food is good for you. My older son is 14 and like 6ft, 135, but eats nothing but junk all day. The fucker will eat dry pasta if there is no snack shit around. He could pound out a whole box of cereal in less than a day.

The younger son is who I worry about though. He is going to be 12 now, but is 5'8" or 9" but 175. Quite chubby and loves to eat like a boss.
Holy fuck dude, my 12 year old is 5'7 and 100lbs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
5'7" 100 lbs is pretty skinny dude, is he ok?

My doctor said basically there's a 25% chance any one of my kids would have it passed to them. That doesn't mean that if they hit it they're instantly diagnosed. It's just a gamble when you eat shitty and it runs in the family.

Am I out of shape too? Yes.

I don't know what will happen when I do get in shape. There is no "cure" for diabetes, although some have claimed to reverse it. We'll see, I guess.

I actually was diagnosed when I was in peak shape (lifting heavy 5x a week... eating heavy too)

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Fuck both of you for having 12 year olds that I'd have to look up to talk to.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure why today is the day, but I went low carb today. I'm type 2 diabetic, and as of last blood analysis, my A1c's were 6.8, so technically pre-diabetic, but my blood sugars are still out of whack. 150 fasting? that's not good.

I HATE how fucked up my guts get taking Metformin, and had stopped for about 2 weeks. Oh how glorious it was to shit 2-3 times a day instead of 6-8 with diarehha. Oh well. Sacrifices, and hopefully with a very low carb diet my shits will improve.

Got back on MFP, and am tracking everything I eat. It's been tough, as I did this pretty abrupt, so my house is full of carbs. But I managed to do 3 eggs, cottage cheese, and bacon for breakfast (cottage cheese has way more carbs than I thought), and then chicken wings (no sauce, just lemon pepper seasoning) , and more cottage cheese for lunch.

Low carb Blue Monsters are out, and that might be the toughest, as I don't mind water, but I've become addicted to energy drinks. Going to look into nuts for snacks. Start thawing out the chicken and steaks we have in the freezer.

I can do this.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The stomach stuff with metformin usually passes after your body gets used to it. Took me about a month. Be glad that's all you take.

I take glimepiride and it makes me feel awful.

Why are you cutting out the monster? Has no carbs or sugar

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The stomach stuff with metformin usually passes after your body gets used to it. Took me about a month. Be glad that's all you take.

I take glimepiride and it makes me feel awful.

Why are you cutting out the monster? Has no carbs or sugar
Well I might at least switch to the Monster Ultra's, which really do have no carbs or sugar. the "low-carb" Blue version still has 7 carbs per can. That's a lot when trying to stay under 20g per day! But it is my favorite kind, and for sanity, maybe I'll keep taking it.

As for Metformin, that's how it was when I first started taking it. Was about 5 days or so, and then I got better. I'm really banking that it's diet related, because I had issues with insurance, and ran out, so I was off it for about a week a few months back. Get back on it, and it's been really bad since. But I haven't been all that carb conscious either, so I'm hoping now that I'm back on it, and watching my diet/carbs, that it'll be fine.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I have started getting on the elliptical. I am now up to 15 minutes, about 1 mile after my workout. How in the living fuck can these women who are like 300+ pounds stay on these machines an hour! I'm DEAD at 15 minutes.

Anyway...still at my same weight this week. 287. BUT I noticed that I am now down to the last hole in my belt!! Mauahahahahahhahaha! Bitches!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I have started getting on the elliptical. I am now up to 15 minutes, about 1 mile after my workout. How in the living fuck can these women who are like 300+ pounds stay on these machines an hour! I'm DEAD at 15 minutes.

Anyway...still at my same weight this week. 287. BUT I noticed that I am now down to the last hole in my belt!! Mauahahahahahhahaha! Bitches!
Yea, you got get yourself a new belt, what do you wear a 46?

And don't cheap out on no canvas shit either, get that leather again so you can see the crease marks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just got back from the doctor, basically no good news. Weight went up again, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been; 250. I've always hung around 225 or slightly lower, but it's just shitty to see. Also had to put me on new meds because sugar wasn't lowering enough. I guess that's about as big of a wake-up call as you can get when you're told "next step is insulin"

Guess I gotta go pretty hardcore.