What are you playing?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Playing Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for the umpteenth time, for research purposes. Two of my all-time favorite games ever, across all genres/platforms. I stumbled across Pirate Software on YouTube thanks to him blowing up a couple weeks back, and a 45 minute spiel of his convinced me that the stuff keeping me from finally making the spiritual successor SF game I've dreamt of making for 30 years was all bullshit. Hopefully in a year or two I'll be asking you bros to help playtest my game.

• 7Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Bunch of Survivors games in the Deck.

No Man's Sky on the PC. They've added so much shit and the gameplay options to make it more relaxed are great. Pretty immersive using 7.1 surround headphones, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just went back and finished Black Mesa after the 25th anniversary half life stuff from last week. Game was really fun. I played through and beat HL dozens of times back in the day but this felt totally new. And Xen was cool since they actually paid attention to it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Playing Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for the umpteenth time, for research purposes. Two of my all-time favorite games ever, across all genres/platforms. I stumbled across Pirate Software on YouTube thanks to him blowing up a couple weeks back, and a 45 minute spiel of his convinced me that the stuff keeping me from finally making the spiritual successor SF game I've dreamt of making for 30 years was all bullshit. Hopefully in a year or two I'll be asking you bros to help playtest my game.
I just really miss that kind of combat without all the extra shit that has been added to it over the last 20 years. The new stuff is "ok" but something about as basic as the strategies were, yet the pieces were like chess - made for a great experience. Never mind that the characters grew as they leveled up, sometimes into a complete bad ass of a unit. Or, that if you did the right thing, or found the right object - you could unlock a completely new companion. Or, if you collected all the pieces beginning from the very first map, that you could build the sword of uber ass whoopin'!

There has only been one game that has reminded me of Shining Force, and it was just because the combat reminded me of my childhood with SF and that was the mobile version of Langrisser. Really odd, because after the top layer - they really arent the same at all. (if P2W gacha shit annoys you, obviously dont install Langrisser as its pretty bad.)

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, you're naming the games that I played immediately after super mario bros and final fantasy. Me and my brothers even figured out Battletoads and beat it a few times.

I had a MAX controller and rigged up a system where i was crouching and attacking in Rygar, put myself against a wall and turned off the tv in the living room overnight on a Saturday. Came back to pretty high level (life) and walked through the rest of the game the next day.

I used to really like finding ways to AFK-sploit to get power in old games.

Something that comes to mind in a much later game: In Castlevania: Circle of the Moon on the GBA you can hold the limp whip in the air while standing under these ceiling things that drop endless enemies on you. This is in like the 3rd room of the game. Go AFK and check back later, be way leveled up and steamroll the game. They only give 1 EXP each but who cares when it's AFK. On an emulator with frameskip you can crank the speed too. I did that and was level 10 after about two minutes. Kinda cheapens the game though. I hope I can resist doing that when I inevitably replay that game.

Oh yeah, forgot another NES game I never got to, Ultima: Quest of the Avatar. AKA the good one on the NES (I think it got four Ultimas, 3/4/5 and RoV, but only this one was said to be great)

Caliane

If I just had more time, I'd be working on learning how to make games, to make a Wizardry haha. I am very unsatisfied with modern blobbers. and I think it'd be pretty easy to actually make one.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If I just had more time, I'd be working on learning how to make games, to make a Wizardry haha. I am very unsatisfied with modern blobbers. and I think it'd be pretty easy to actually make one.

Yeah, the only hard parts are having the time to do it and the ability to stay focused.

Back in 2000 when RPG Maker came out for Playstation, I was up for like 3 days working on it. Basically had the next 6 months or so off at the time being between school and finishing early, so I had all the time in the world for it. Planned an entire 7 game series with the full story/characters/abilities/world/everything sketched out over like two hundred pages of notebook paper. It just needed to be converted into game data.

Unfortunately after a couple weeks of working on it I made a mistake and saved over one of my data files. And it was the important one, the data file with the scenario data (aka what every object, switch, NPC etc did). Never got back my massive level of excitement for the project after that. I'd say the first game was about 40% done after those couple weeks, so progress was pretty quick when I just focused in on it and didn't do anything else.

Tried again a few years later with RPG Maker 2 on PS2, but that one was ridiculously obtuse. Wish I'd gotten RPG Maker 2003 or whichever the really good one for PC was. Basically handicapped myself by getting the Playstation versions because there was no keyboard support, which made entering text a total PITA and caused the writing portion of design to take ages longer than it should have. If I'd had keyboard support I might have gone ahead and re-started the project and at least finished the first of the seven games, given how much work had been done already (and was still accessible).

Regardless, even though it didn't work out for me, I can say that the rush of planning and creating a game/series is pretty amazing and definitely rewarding when you start seeing it pan out.

Goonsquad Officer
Will play. Love shining force. That and ps4 best Sega games

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shining Force CD was also really good. The series' art style, music, and overall character the world had has stuck with me since I was a kid. If you make a successor I wonder how expensive getting the OG composer would be? If he's even still alive. The opening theme to SF1 hits me just right every single time.

I never was able to play the third one. I'm hoping one day SEGA pulls their head out of their ass and makes a new SF with the Camelot guys, or at the very least releases a remaster of 3 that includes the two chapters we never got over here in the states.

• 2Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Finished Sea of Stars to my satisfaction, pretty good game. I didn't 'platinum' it but I did all the side quests and enjoyed it.
Good music and graphics, characters weren't stupid and annoying, and there is apparently a serviceable story but I don't give a fuck about that so long as I roughly understand why I am doing what.
Interesting game mechanics, I am not a fan of the 'hit button at the right time" on every attack/defence because it kind of defeats the point of turn-based combat but it wasn't too annoying. The enemy casting mechanic was interesting, nothing special but not detracting either.
7.5 out of 10.

Now I am deciding between giving Chained Echoes another go, I was not in the mood the first time I tried it and only played for about 30minutes, or possible that Star Ocean game for something more action based but with RPG mechanics.

Also, the Shining Force games were awesome.

• 2Like

Siliconemelons

Faxanadu is awesome, sorry I am page behind but the game rocks more than the pantheon thread.

It was great and your character had visual sprite change for all armor and weapons

also another game that seems to get lost in the sea of old… illusions of Gia

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Jedi Knight Survivor , picked it up on Steam sale. Pretty cool game but wtf you have to sit and watch a spinning ball while the game 'compiles' ?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Faxanadu is awesome, sorry I am page behind but the game rocks more than the pantheon thread.

It was great and your character had visual sprite change for all armor and weapons

also another game that seems to get lost in the sea of old… illusions of Gia
I just got a copy of illusions for snes. Gotta put a new battery in it but I’ve never played it. Cant wait.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I've never been into the bullet hell games, but guess I need to rethink that. Played this for a bit tonight and really enjoyed it.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've never been into the bullet hell games, but guess I need to rethink that. Played this for a bit tonight and really enjoyed it.

That's not bullet hell, its a newer genre called bullet heaven or enemy hell. Swing by this thread for some good recomendations

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
KID ICARUS IS SO DIFFICULT.

I imagine the Game Boy version is even worse with the smaller screen area.

NES-era video games put goddamn hair on your chest.

• 1Worf

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m back in tears of the kingdom. I sojourned away. Odd considering I’m a Zelda fanboy and I felt the fans started strong. Just wrapped up the Regional Phenomena quest. No spoils please.

I’m trying to resist poe this league but the warlock shit and league looked so 😎

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
KID ICARUS IS SO DIFFICULT.

I imagine the Game Boy version is even worse with the smaller screen area.

NES-era video games put goddamn hair on your chest.

There's a reason NES hardware was made so durable. Many a wall lost their life to a controller that suddenly goes airborne

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
As far as my "Fall game lineup" goes...

Finished: Like A Dragon Gaiden, Mario Wonder, Assassin's Creed Mirage, Mortal Kombat 1

Working on: Kid Icarus (NES), Spider-Man 2 (eh)

Planning to play in Winter: Infinite Wealth, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Dragon Quest 7, Dragon Quest 8, Sekiro

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just finished up Blasphemous 2, which was a pretty good follow-up to the first game. Of course it had some more of the same disturbing imagery, some brutal and some bizarre. The wax seed quest guy definitely gets an award for being seriously awkward.

I've tried a little bit of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter since its free on Playstation Plus, but the controls are little off for the camera. It will take take some adjustment, but running around with dual blaster spam is kinda fun.

Y's 9: Monstrom Nox was also available with Playstation Plus, but I couldn't get into it. There was so much dialogue and the rare chances I did get to fight, it was nothing but attack spam. I miss the older games.

• 2Like