What are you playing?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm in a similar boat. Going through stuff I have, not buying anything new for a while. Just got a bunch of DS/3DS stuff that I missed and decided to basically call a moratorium after that.

Exceptions for: Baldur 3, Armored Core 6, AEW Fight Forever, Elden Ring DLC, maybe System Shock, maybe FF16 maaaaaybe. Those all getting grandfathered in. Nothing else though By God

Speaking of DS/3DS stuff, I'm back into Etrian Odyssey after playing FF1-6 pixel remasters. Something about these games captures me for awhile every time. I'm on EO2, I own EO3 and just bought a used 3DS and EO4 and EO5 for real cheap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Speaking of DS/3DS stuff, I'm back into Etrian Odyssey after playing FF1-6 pixel remasters. Something about these games captures me for awhile every time. I'm on EO2, I own EO3 and just bought a used 3DS and EO4 and EO5 for real cheap.
Are they related? It’s been on my list to try but wasn’t sure I had to do them all. Also the anime art style turns me off some.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Stumbled on a sponsored demo, and picked up this nice mix of Fallout-like RPG and X-Com tactical combat:

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Are they related? It’s been on my list to try but wasn’t sure I had to do them all. Also the anime art style turns me off some.

They're old school grid-based map turn-based party RPGs like Wizardry. You map the levels yourself with the stylus and such. They're grindy but I find them fun.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Some very satisfying achievements playing co-op, love HELLCARD.

1685129788002.png

1685129845379.png

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got me a Anbernic RG35XX for some Retro gaming. Time to replay the one I loved the most as a kid.

PXL_20230527_153900671.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Got me a Anbernic 355XX for some Retro gaming. Time to replay the one I loved the most as a kid.

View attachment 475289

Xenogears looks pretty rough and pixellated on a TV nowayears, but I imagine it'll still look really good on a smaller screen like this.

I wish they'd remake it instead of doing more Xenoblade, but it seems like that isn't in the cards.

How much did this device cost? How many games / what systems are on it?

Aazrael

Xenogears looks pretty rough and pixellated on a TV nowayears, but I imagine it'll still look really good on a smaller screen like this.

I wish they'd remake it instead of doing more Xenoblade, but it seems like that isn't in the cards.

Theres 17 systems on it, from Arcades up to PS1 including NES, SNES and Sega etc. From reviews the ROMS on it can be a bit wierd in some games so they recommend you flashing a community made OS (Garlic OS) and then just download a Megafile with ROMs with everything from C64/Atari to PS1.

I'd guess theres a couple of thousand preloaded games if you decide to stay on stock firmware. I have not yet done any changes as I don't have any micro SD card readers.

It's wierd it has like every Pokemon game on it but theres no Super Mario or Tetris at all. But it's easy enough to download ROMs if you need and put them on the SD card.

I think I paid like $50 for it. Was going to play FF7 but it was in Japanese, so I ordered a SD card usb adapter so I can download the correct versions.

It's a 3.5 inch screen and Xenogears looks really nice and plays well enough. But yea, a remaster of Xenogears would be great.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Theres 17 systems on it, from Arcades up to PS1 including NES, SNES and Sega etc. From reviews the ROMS on it can be a bit wierd in some games so they recommend you flashing a community made OS (Garlic OS) and then just download a Megafile with ROMs with everything from C64/Atari to PS1.

I'd guess theres a couple of thousand preloaded games if you decide to stay on stock firmware. I have not yet done any changes as I don't have any micro SD card readers.

It's wierd it has like every Pokemon game on it but theres no Super Mario or Tetris at all. But it's easy enough to download ROMs if you need and put them on the SD card.

I think I paid like $50 for it. Was going to play FF7 but it was in Japanese, so I ordered a SD card usb adapter so I can download the correct versions.

It's a 3.5 inch screen and Xenogears looks really nice and plays well enough. But yea, a remaster of Xenogears would be great.

What does the H button do?

• 1Worf

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I got a retro handheld last summer. An Anbernic too, but not that Gameboy looking one. I put my own roms and OS on it following a guide online.

It's easily my most played game system (moreso than PC even). Definitely recommend if you're into retro gaming.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

I got a retro handheld last summer. An Anbernic too, but not that Gameboy looking one. I put my own roms and OS on it following a guide online.

It's easily my most played game system (moreso than PC even). Definitely recommend if you're into retro gaming.
The only bad thing about it is being reminded that yes, I am very bad at video games now...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Can it play DS or 3DS? You mentioned Pokemon, guessing that means the GB and GBA ones.

Just spent a hefty sum to get a modded 3DS, in large part to play those.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I grabbed one of those too for about 45. Probably on the same sale. It's a bit smaller than I hoped but the screen is really bright and clear. It feels decently made except the d pad diagonal is not perfect. Going to flash it to Garlic as well and load it with my rpi roms instead. I got the purple clear one that looks like the old gbc.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Can it play DS or 3DS? You mentioned Pokemon, guessing that means the GB and GBA ones.

Just spent a hefty sum to get a modded 3DS, in large part to play those.
It only plays up to GBA in the Gameboy line. Might be other brands that do newer systems.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Which model did you get?

Chapell

Trakanon Raider

If you guys looking for more info about this interesting "new" market, you may check this YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps

Ambernic and Retropocket are both good choice, the only issue is to choose one model. (there is plenty of choice)

Exemple of content you might like:
For ppl asking, 3ds emulation is not that great, overall all this small handheld won't do well with 3ds beside some games and with some tuning.
In the end it's better to find a new3DS and jailbreak it, sadly new3Ds price have skyrocket to an average price of 300$... If you find one for 100$, buy it.

Last edited:

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Which model did you get?
I got this one

It's got a metal case so it feels nice and sturdy. I like the dual analog sticks too. I got it on sale for a little over a hundred I think.

• 1Like

Aazrael

I got this one

It's got a metal case so it feels nice and sturdy. I like the dual analog sticks too. I got it on sale for a little over a hundred I think.
How does NDS games work with only 1 screen?

I am tempted in buying a better one in the future. Or just go Steamdeck, but that one cost a lot sadly.