What did you just read?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gates of Fire.Pressfield. Wow. How did I miss this one for so long? Anyone who even slightly enjoys historical fiction (emphasis on military history) has to put this high on their list. What a fantastic book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moontayle

Golden Squire
Been catching up on my reading now that I'm forced to take an hour lunch.

Just finished The Emerald Storm, book 4 of the Riyria Revelations. Which was bundled intoRise of Empirewhen the author signed with Orbit. The series is good fantasy and has some of the usual staples but in a sort of dystopian vein similar to The Witcher. Worth a read if you're into the genre.

Also did the first three books from our own Foul Mouth series. Good fun and great stories too.

Seventh

Golden Squire
I just finished The City by Stella Gemmell. I'd never heard of it, but it kept popping up in my Goodreads recommendations and it's not bad at all. The usual swords/gritty fantasy stuff that we all dig, but almost no magic. It looks like there's a second book planned, but the whole story finishes up in one book which is a nice change from what I usually read.

The City by Stella Gemmell - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just read Ready Player One and I found it quite enjoyable. The entire absurdity of the scene in the "dungeon" just about had me in tears.
Picked up Ready Player One after seeing this and reading the synopsis. The book took a while to get going for me. I wasn't heavily invested in to the book, but it did pick up towards the end. I liked the spectacle of all the genres and worlds colliding, but that is also what turned me off at some points. It just felt like name dropping.

The finale was pretty great. The stand off between the whole internet and the Sixers was fun to imagine.

After a while the book felt like it was on autpilot for character safety. Daito being killed was the only real curve ball. Even while Wade was in IOI in the real world he never really felt in danger.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Just finished Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I love space in general and the ISS specifically so I INHALED the beginning of the book. The end sort of petered out but the first 2/3 of the book is some of his best writing yet.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned it already, but I just finishedTraitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1) by Sebastien de Castell - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists. I was hesitant going in because of the way it was described to me, but I absolutely loved it and have started the second book already. I enjoyed the humor, but it is still a very serious book. The balance was perfect. If you like fantasy with a (very) light sprinkling of magic and humor I'd say give it a try.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Picked up Ready Player One after seeing this and reading the synopsis. The book took a while to get going for me. I wasn't heavily invested in to the book, but it did pick up towards the end. I liked the spectacle of all the genres and worlds colliding, but that is also what turned me off at some points. It just felt like name dropping.

The finale was pretty great. The stand off between the whole internet and the Sixers was fun to imagine.

After a while the book felt like it was on autpilot for character safety. Daito being killed was the only real curve ball. Even while Wade was in IOI in the real world he never really felt in danger.
Pretty much exactly how i felt about that book.

I found wade to be incredibly annoying to read about, which made the first 45% of the book to be very frustrating. Characters that have virtually no risk, or fear of doing anything beyond perfect makes them incredibly shallow. However, everything else in the book was awesome to imagine being a reality

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
After complaining about Hamilton's Void Trilogy, I finally sucked it up and got through the beginning and accumulated enough steam to power through the books.

The books got better, sort of, but I still recommend reading the first part of his Commonwealth saga and quitting @ the Void.

Now that I've read about space monkeys, data based post physical forms, and geaia fields, I think I'll try something more simple. Just picked up the Talisman, big DT fan and havn't read it yet.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Considering most of us read science fiction, AMod should merge this thread with the sci-fi thread.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
That was the plan initially but where would I find so much pee at a moment's notice (got a big head also btw). The other option was to make a stupid suggestion on rerolled so I picked the easy way out.

Anyway, been reading James. A. Corey - The Expanse (half way through the first book) and I'm not impressed. Needs more aliens imo. Will continue reading for now.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm another more fantasy than scifi guy.

Ready for July's book releases...sigh.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Kept reading James. A. Corey - The Expanse, now on book 5 (if you include the short stories) and the aliens are here but it's still really dragged out. No choice but to finish it now I guess.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Kept reading James. A. Corey - The Expanse, now on book 5 (if you include the short stories) and the aliens are here but it's still really dragged out. No choice but to finish it now I guess.
I was going to start that after i finished the Bank's culture books. How many books if you dont include the short stories before you get to the goods? Will i be disapointed after Banks?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You'll always be disappointed after Banks ... unless you have more Banks (or Herbert).

Regarding the Expanse, I was sure there were only 3 big books. Guess there's 5 with 5 more planned. FUCK. I hate starting unfinished series, there's an endless supply of completed books.

Copy pasting Wikipedia because it's easier :
As of 2015,The Expanseconsists of five main novels and four shorter works (two prequel short stories, one prequel novella and one novella set betweenLeviathan WakesandCaliban's War). Five more novels are planned,[2]as well as three more novellas. The series is being adapted for television by theSyfyNetwork, also under the title ofThe Expanse.