What did your parents do?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My mom was a college english teacher.

My dad was telecom worker then became the president of their union.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
Dad is a retired Mechanical Engineer, who now works at a nursery because he cannot sit home. I enjoys loading cars for people younger than him.

Mom was a Bank Teller, after she retired last year got into running now at 65 is running 5 miles a day when before she probably never ran a mile straight in her whole life.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My dad and I do the same thing. I worked contract with him for 20 years. Now I work for the same small company he retired from. We do structural steel design and shop drawings. I do a good bit more of stuff he never waned to mess with like going to the field, estimating, and programming some of the CNC equipment. My dad had the dream job in my industry, those days are over. He worked at home, got a company car/truck, and mostly went in on Fridays to get his paycheck and eat lunch. He also was allowed to work on the side nearly full time if they didn't have anything to do. He wasn't paid as much as a lot of people but he made just as much if not more on the side most years and got insurance and guaranteed work at a minimum. He still does some work in retirement when we need help or someone has some odd stuff nobody else can do.

My mom worked off and on keepng books and running offices. She did some of it to get away from dad who worked from an office at home.
I've been trying to find someone to make me a 50 ft long playground slide that mounts on a hillside for like a month. Steel fabricators live scared.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I've been trying to find someone to make me a 50 ft long playground slide that mounts on a hillside for like a month. Steel fabricators live scared.
No steel fabricator I know or ever worked with would dick with anything like that. You need to find a dinky welding shop or something similar to dick with it. We normally won't deal with the general public, neither will most I deal with. We don't do commercial either. We build and repair chemical plants and refineries. The one I work out now basically put the Exxon maintenance shop out of business. When Exxon says money is no object, they mean it.

Basically if it's not something I could just give away you need a PO. A lot of stuff we deliver in a 1/2 ton truck on short notice and routinely bill 6 figures for it. Basically it boils down to whatever you need might not be much, but in the meantime the shop could be making real money.

I did do a water slide about years ago at a water park. Never again, I hate commercial work more than I hate the general public.

Most fab shops can't design or engineer. Ours is one of the few, owner is a civil engineer as well as his son and I do most of the design work. Most fab shops want stamped engineering drawings and then have someone produce detail shop drawings from those stamped engineering drawings before they will even make a cut list.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
My Mom was a stay at home mom. My Dad worked as a computer programmer for Gulf Oil and then moved onto Chevron after they bought Gulf in '84 I believe it was until he retired in 2005.

My Dad had been in computers for years and years even before that, back when memory was a wall full of magnets they would have to manually set on or off before powering up - I also had been exposed to computers since the late 1970s when I was just 3 years old, and never stopped being exposed to them. My step mother did the same as my dad, though always worked for Chevron.

Dad and step mom are now passed away, and mom ended up getting an MBA, but is retired now.

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
My mom graduated high school with a kid and started working as a secretary at IBM. Went back to school to get a degree in business, all the while working at IBM. After a few moves and headhunts, she ended up being a bigwig at TXU. She got a fat severance when CapGemini bought TXU, another testament to hard work paying off.

My dad was in the air force for about 10 years, left and became a consultant for a few companies, until cancer killed him in 2010.

Raign

Golden Squire
Mother was an office manager, father was a professional grade fuck-up at pretty much every job there is to be had.

Edit: Sorry to those folks in this thread speaking of their parents in the past tense, that is a tough loss that I am not looking forward to, despite the harsh words for my father.

Vinen

God is dead
My Dad was a Rocket Scientist (not kidding.. well Missile Guidance :3)

My Mom I have no idea... Data Input or something

I speak in past-tense as they are both retired

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My parents were pretty much black sheep of their families... both grandfathers were lawyers.

My father went to college... but only to play football and did nothing but drink/play his way through 4 years of Oregon State. Honestly, I don't know what his degree was in. Agricultural science or something. Only to work as (among other things) a ranch hand, a cattle pharmaceuticals salesman, a commercial fisherman in Alaska, a commercial diver and finally owning his own dive salvage company in his 40's.

Mom went to college. Dropped out Freshman year to work at a SCUBA diving shop. Ran with it for 35 years eventually being owning a small chain of SCUBA stores/being an instructor.Finally being the premier SCUBA diving trip planner for rich people on the Oregon coast. Still does this even in her late 50's.