What do you do?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Are non competes common? I have heard they are more common the further up the corporate ladder you go. The reason I ask is I have known a few guys who might have 4-5 guys working for them. Brings in someone who is bright but basically knows nothing about the industry. Gets trained on the industry, the software, gets contacts etc..Then goes off on his own competing. Which in a large pond wouldn't be so bad. Only possibly 20-25 people who are "top" notch at what they do on the gulf coast, trained them up and then they walk away with quite a large amount invested in them, just enough to compete against them.

I have wondered if a non compete would work on something like that. One of the reasons I never train anyone.

Vinen

God is dead
Are non competes common? I have heard they are more common the further up the corporate ladder you go. The reason I ask is I have known a few guys who might have 4-5 guys working for them. Brings in someone who is bright but basically knows nothing about the industry. Gets trained on the industry, the software, gets contacts etc..Then goes off on his own competing. Which in a large pond wouldn't be so bad. Only possibly 20-25 people who are "top" notch at what they do on the gulf coast, trained them up and then they walk away with quite a large amount invested in them, just enough to compete against them.

I have wondered if a non compete would work on something like that. One of the reasons I never train anyone.
if you aren't in California they are more or less 100% in the Software Industry.
It can be said that the fact non-completes are illegal in California is the reason Silicon Valley is still thriving with the start-up scene it has.

They tend to only be enforced if you are high up on the chain. I personally could not leave my company and go to another company creating a Cloud Management Platform without puckering my butt hole with fear.

I've seen it enforced twice. One lead to someone getting fired and turning down a job offer while another lead to a lawsuit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I never signed a non compete at Emc and I even told them I was leaving to do the exact same job on the exact same base code at another company.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
if you aren't in California they are more or less 100% in the Software Industry.
It can be said that the fact non-completes are illegal in California is the reason Silicon Valley is still thriving with the start-up scene it has.

They tend to only be enforced if you are high up on the chain. I personally could not leave my company and go to another company creating a Cloud Management Platform without puckering my butt hole with fear.

I've seen it enforced twice. One lead to someone getting fired and turning down a job offer while another lead to a lawsuit.
I got fucked out of a job I wanted by a non compete a few years ago.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Someone asked about taking a test on an interview, don't become a welder. We start with a drug test and after they pass that they start various test. Various code test in a variety of posistions using various methods like stick, mig, tig, and then onto a variety of alloys. Once they pass a physical examination they go onto testing by magnaflux, liquid penetration test, destructive test, x-ray etc...Gotta pass one group before you go onto the next. Guys who just can "tack" come and go and don't make much. Guys who can set up a machine, follow a procedure, pass x-ray and test with 99% pass rate make very good money and normally stick around forever with a company.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Today I got a new job where I will most likely be making 1/3rd of what I currently make and I couldn't be happier. I don't know if it's cause ive been overworking myself the last year but I managed to work a deal with my old shop where I'm only gonna work 3 days a week (Wed-Fri).

Going to be so nice being able to have 4 day weekends every weekend, I'm already starting to scheme on all the camping trips I can finally go on.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Gonna be so nice until I'm dirt poor and can't do anything I planned on doing because money is a thing people need.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Gonna be so nice until I'm dirt poor and can't do anything I planned on doing because money is a thing people need.
Done the math and I will make well over what it takes to live, so while I can't just splurge and take a trip to seattle or the coast but I'll be living comfortably and have a couple side jobs I can take on when motivated for extra money. Mainly the things that I want to do anymore is hike, camp and bike travel so thats at most 20 bucks a day for a trip which will be easy to manage money wise. I also can take my bike racing somewhat seriously now since I'm not on 60 hour work weeks.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Too lazy to look if we have a specific thread for it but I need advice on a "safe" 4 year degree to get into after my one and done army career

Help pals, everything I look up on the web has contradicting info and I don't know many successful people irl

Have been considering Nursing

Do not care how much interest I have in said degree just looking for a solid and safe employment field

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Too lazy to look if we have a specific thread for it but I need advice on a "safe" 4 year degree to get into after my one and done army career

Help pals, everything I look up on the web has contradicting info and I don't know many successful people irl

Have been considering Nursing

Do not care how much interest I have in said degree just looking for a solid and safe employment field
Computer science/engineering? Or if you like cleaning people's shit and piss, nursing. Your choices are easy mode math or piss. One caveat with piss though, if you arent retarded you can try and get to be a nurse anesthetist down the line and those fuckers can make 250k-300k a year in certain states. Becoming one is complicated and I dont know shit about it.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It you want security, a well paying job and aren't retarded, go with actuarial science. Boring life but can't be the security/pay. Also once you get a job, get a MBA on the company's dime.