What do you do?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Boeing is 100% Cisco shop, so getting in at Amazon, and having at least some experience handling, logging in, using some commands on many different types of equipment is going to be great for the resume. Cisco Nexus devices are all the rage right now, along with Juniper and one more.

We'll see how it goes, if I hate it, then I get the experience and move on, but Big W is correct, the huge bump in expendable income/QoL will be great.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I'm probably moving to small town USA in Eastern Oregon, for a job at an Amazon data center. The job is contract to hire, and I had a good conversation today with a guy that works and does what I'd be doing, that the staffing agency had placed there a while ago. Was a what's up type of call, to tell me about the job, what I'd be doing, things like that. Asked him about interview questions and stuff so I can be as prepared for that as possible.

Was a good conversation, but while it's a 50% bump in pay, I can't help but feel it's a step down from what I do currently, but has way more room to grow, because it's Amazon.

Currently I rack and stack network equipment, make sure it comes back online, and if an upgrade, make sure what was connected, is still connected. We get the configs from network designers, and load them onto the switches, and make sure it all works. 60% of the time, no rack and stack needed, it's just an IOS upgrade + config change. That's majority of what I do, on top of that is just basic enterprise network trouble shooting.

The Amazon job is strictly rack and stack, with some basic fiber uplink trouble shooting. Way more physical, and the only logical work I'd be doing is loading up a stub config onto the new devices so they get an IP, then other network engineer dudes, or probably software defined stuff, will do the rest. Real grunt work, and I guess maybe that's what I'm already doing, but it doesn't feel that way? Amazon is just a lot more tiered than Boeing, but was told Amazon network engineers are people I'd work with quite a bit, and it's not uncommon to make the leap over to that side of things after getting some experience?

50% bump in pay, and what seems about a 40% drop in cost of living (comparing just rental rates), makes it good enough, but I'm just venting some concerns.
What does it pay? I'd love to work in a datacenter instead of this shitty NOC.

That's actually the type of job I thought I was getting into here.

Crone

What does it pay? I'd love to work in a datacenter instead of this shitty NOC.

That's actually the type of job I thought I was getting into here.
They tried getting me at $25/hour, but I told them I wouldn't move for that, and so they came back at $30/hour, and I thought that was acceptable.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
So, Apparently, my boss's "plan" (whatever the fuck it happens to be) has been signed off on by the VP, but needs one more level of approval as per corporate horseshit. He's been told its just red tape and won't affect the outcome. Yet, he is unwilling to reveal even a broad overview of his plan.

The VP mentioned it to me, today, too....So I dunno WTF is going on. I just know I've been too fucking busy to push for it, and have to spend the weekend finalizing a new system to go into place during my trip Monday, so I wont have time to stress on it...thats good, at least?
I would imagine pay raise and stuff like that are incredibly confidential, given the work climate....(i have no idea how it works, but that would be my guess).

Speaking of plan....

Crone

Stopped pursuing the Amazon job after figuring out its not much networking at all and mainly just rack and stack. Despite its possible future opportunities, I don't want to be doing a job I hate for indefinite amount of time just for a chance at a job I would like.

Moving forward now with a job in Portland as a Cisco WAN engineer. Should have interview this week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I would imagine pay raise and stuff like that are incredibly confidential, given the work climate....(i have no idea how it works, but that would be my guess).

Speaking of plan....

I'm sure you're right...I just hate busting my ass for the unknown

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude, I accepted this other offer and am playing the waiting game, and meanwhile the govt onboarding process is slow as balls, and I can't just quit and sit at home for a week because I need insurance coverage next month, wife is having surgery. So I'm literally sitting around trying to think of things to do.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
don't be a pussy bro.

It's not like pining after a chick or anything, but the volume has gotten turned down on everything else this week. Part of it is probably because this week is much less busy than last week, so everything is just easier.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Should have had a decision today, but recruiter postponed until tomorrow due to illness. It's convenient, but disbelieving him won't make a decision happen any sooner.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
and I was notified today that not only will the raise I was promised happen (Exact numbers not discussed yet)...but a promotion will be tied in with it...

So, do I accept it and accept my fate as being here long term?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They're waiting on their first choice to get back to them.

WTF does the recruiter have to do if they want to offer you a job besides just forwarding it?