What do you do?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, you also gotta understand that people aren't exactly lining up to brag about their $12 an hour job on the internet too. It's always going to slant towards the higher incomes in these kinds of threads.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Though true, I just looked it up and I actually have fallen a bit behind the curve relative to my education level. That didn't used to be the case until recently.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Well, you also gotta understand that people aren't exactly lining up to brag about their $12 an hour job on the internet too. It's always going to slant towards the higher incomes in these kinds of threads.
It shouldn't be that way though. Whether you're a government worker, a manager at gamestop, employee at Taco Bell or the greeter dude at Walmart. A job's a job. It takes all classes and all types to make things work. This thread could easily coincide with the Job Listings and Employment Opportunities thread.
Like the company I work for just landed a Department of Defense contract in Washington.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Alright guys I was not sure where to put this so since it is about careers I figured this was as good a place as any.

I currently have a bs in civil engineering and surveying. After 18 years in this industry I hate engineering and surveying. I talked over with my wife how miserable I was and she agree that I should just quit and so I did. We will be fine on her salary with the bills we have so I am not concerned about a new job now right now.

I really am interested insoftware development, technical support and system analysts. What degree program would you pursue? Computer Science or Software Engineering? What is the down side to each? Would you get a masters? I read that a masters is preferred by more hiring managers than a few years experience. Anyone here do hiring for these fields and can shed any light on as to why? I only ask because I know most of you do this kind of work or at least on the old board it seemed a lot did.

I know lots of questions but I do not have anyone, friend or family to speak to about this industry.

Thanks for any input.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
It shouldn't be that way though. Whether you're a government worker, a manager at gamestop, employee at Taco Bell or the greeter dude at Walmart. A job's a job. It takes all classes and all types to make things work. This thread could easily coincide with the Job Listings and Employment Opportunities thread.
Like the company I work for just landed a Department of Defense contract in Washington.
And yet, here we are, with the vast majority of this thread being people bragging about their 6 figure a year job. I know what a lot of people on this board do for a living because I've been around a long time, and you pick up bits and pieces of the community as things go along, but you're not seeing any of them post here with the walmart job because society has turned pretty hostile as of late towards the blue collar/retail workers who make sure the wealthy have toilet paper they can buy.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
because society has turned pretty hostile as of late towards the blue collar/retail workers who make sure the wealthy have toilet paper they can buy.
How exactly has society turned pretty hostile lately against blue collar workers?

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Where do you work?
- Large national law firm (AMLAW 100)

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
- Systems Engineer / IT Manager

What field/industry?
- IT/Legal

Wages?
- Low 6 figures

Bonuses/SEP?
- Generally in the 5-10k range, depending on how the firm did that year

Benefits?
- Full Medical/Dental, 401k matching, etc.

I'm 34, for the person who asked about age/six figure job.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For the folks making six figures, I'm curious how old many of you are.
Two things for viewers of this thread to note:
1. People on the internet are generally full of shit (Not calling out anyone in particular but we all know it's the truth).
2. People who make good money scramble to these threads, other people not so much.

cosmic_cs_sl

shitlord
I think maybe people should include their debt too for a better perspective, lol. I actually haven't made a single dollar because I've been furiously paying off my student loans, which began at almost 200k.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
How exactly has society turned pretty hostile lately against blue collar workers?
You're in Canada, doesn't count.

In America? Are you fucking kidding me? The war on unions? The shrinking of the middle class? The largest stockpiles of corporate cash in history while the average household income goes down?

It's quite obvious that if you don't know someone who knows someone, you're not worth pissing on if you're on fire anymore.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Deputy Director for cyber security, security testing certification lab for the NSA
salary is good
job is ok
mostly boring

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Where do you work?

Two jobs.

I've worked at a supermarket for 12 years, on my way out within the next year.

Also working at a fortune 500 data storage/management company.

Grocery clerk.
Firmware Engineer (intern).

What field/industry?

Retail.
Data Storage and Management.

Wages?

$12/hr (weekends)
50k/year as an intern, will be 77k/year to start upon graduation.

Bonuses/SEP?

None.
None.

Benefits?

Healthcare that is extremely cheap ($12/wk single). 4 vacations.
None really, a few paid days off.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Where do you work?
A family-run pack/ship and copy business in the buttfucks of rural western MD

Manager/Temp Owner

What field/industry?
Shipping/Small Business Services

Wages?
8/hr, 70hrs/wk

Bonuses/SEP?
Nope.

Benefits?
Nope.

My dad decided to start a small shipping business in our terrible rural area since you have to drive over an hour in either direction to get to the nearest FedEx/UPS stores. I worked for him just as a manager until he had to leave to go to Djibouti, Africa out of the blue for an ATC consulting job. So now I'm stuck running a business when I have no clue how to. Just hoping I don't run it into the ground before my dad gets back in a year.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Worked as a Desktop Support Technician for public school districts from 18-21, made 15/hour. It was fun and I enjoyed it most of the time, but I felt unfulfilled.

24 years old now, engineering student.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
In my third year of a PhD in biomedical engineering. My research focuses on drug delivery, biomaterials, and bone regeneration.

I make $30k / year through a fellowship

Free university health coverage. Don't know the details on my coverage, but I've had several doctor's appointments, a couple x rays, physical therapy, and an MRI and they ended up costing a couple hundred total out of pocket so it seems pretty decent.

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm a GS13 1811
Government
Salary/Pay raise every year (or so)
holiday

health, life, short/long term disability, government retirement.

Work mostly regular hours 8A-6P, on call 24/7

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a GS13 1811
Government
Salary/Pay raise every year (or so)
holiday

health, life, short/long term disability, government retirement.

Work mostly regular hours 8A-6P, on call 24/7
Not everyday you have a S/A out themselves. Hah! Stay safe.