What do you say to the boss who has been robbed blind by the outsourcers?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Cellphone video of your mail box, highlighting the email, opening it, and getting both the sender email address and their signature clearly visible is about as CYA as you can get. Treat it like you're a cop avoiding a scandal.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not only that but you print a copy of the email as well for your records. Make a file with everything you did to document the issue and then your ready for when/if the shit hits the fan.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK,

First, what everybody else has said : DOCUMENT THE LIVING FUCK OUT OF THIS AND HOW YOU FOUND IT AND PROOF THAT YOU'RE REPORTING IT.
Second, Report to your direct boss. Print copies of all emails in that chain and document well.
If your boss ignores it then you have a choice of cover your ass and look for something else to do, or find out what kind of database and information is in it. If it falls under the rules of anything that says "PCI" (credit card info), "SOX"(banking/stock info), or "HIPAA"(health and personal information) ask if your company has a compliance and regulatory department and report to them.

You're either going to be a goddamn hero, or your company will try to pin it on you. Good luck and godsspeed.

disclaimer : I work for a company that does network and information security and auditing, and you will be shocked how often this type of things is either ignored and/or swept under the rug until shit blows up. Be careful.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
When your time is up at the company id just send a copy of all communications to the ceo or whatever.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
As an addendum....

If/When you present this to your boss, do your best to have as good a plan as possible on how to fix the problem. One of the key things that keeps a boss on your side when reporting a huge problem, is if in the same conversation you have a solution for it.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is not your data, it is not your code, it is not your time. You were hired to do something else. As a contractor you are never liable for work you didn't do. The same way there is no law requiring you to report it to the authorities. If you wish to be a whistle blower and throw the company under to bus, to the FBI/Hippa/ PCI agencies do it after you leave. Who knows they may even hire u back to fix it.

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
Like, you can't tell me what to do man.

Also, they dragged me into meeting to go over how secure they were and how I should just approve it as being secure for the next project because they were using 'best practices'.

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
If it's my personally identifiable information that's at risk because of this company's poor security, doesn't that make it my data?
rrr_img_91205.jpg

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Like, you can't tell me what to do man.

Also, they dragged me into meeting to go over how secure they were and how I should just approve it as being secure for the next project because they were using 'best practices'.
Do what you want. If you want to be a whistle-blower, be a whistle-blower, but be prepared to the potential professional blow-back. If they ask you to certify the process as secure, you tell them: "no, in my professional opinion it is not secure, and i cant certify it". Why are you sweating it?

If they are looking for your jonhy hackock to cover their asses, dont give it to them.
As long as you document the problem in writing and verbally, if they want to fix it it is up to them. If they don't want to fix it, it is their problem.

gremlinz273

<Bronze Donator>
Which part of, 'we are talking about something that already happened', don't you get?

This thread was a public service announcement/amusement thread.

Besides, your solution seems like you are assuming sane actors, this episode was something out of Paranoia.

rrr_img_91378.png