What is all this "gluten-free" shit?

Troll_sl

shitlord
Wow. This devolved into super-libertarian bullshit pretty quick. You guys are nearing Scientology levels of psych-denial.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow. This devolved into super-libertarian bullshit pretty quick. You guys are nearing Scientology levels of psych-denial.
Bro, your sarcasm detector needs calibration. I hear Fanaskin can help with that.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I dated a girl who was allergic to gluten, logic, and (my) caawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwkk. I think it's similar to lactose intolerence. We didn't start eating wheat and milking cows til ~12k years ago.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Except we've been farming barley (a glutenous grain) for twice that length of time. There's evidence going back to ~20k+ BCE. And that's simply the cultivation history. We've probably had it as part of our diet longer.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Celiac is a very real and deadly thing. I first learned of it decades ago as a friend of our family is Celiac and the things she went through were quite terrifying. All the attention gluten stuff has gotten these days has at least made her life a lot more tolerable if not exactly pleasant.

On the flip side there is increasing evidence that we, as a species, have fucked ourselves up through the use of antibiotics and the wholesale destruction of intestinal flora in the form of the literally thousands of bacteria species that we had residing inside us that we inherited from our mom. While some of this comes from the umbilical system a great deal is transferred through actual birth (try not to think about it too much... yes it is that disgusting).

The prevalence of C-sections plus the over prescription of antibiotics has led to the wholesale extermination of these internal symbiotic organisms. Each successive generation has fewer and fewer of these and we are now starting to notice their absence. Because these things are so numerous and because they are family specific there is really no way to adequately replace their loss with any given "live bacteria yogurt" type supplement. Yeah you'll do better than without it, but it may not be enough to reverse the damage that has been done.

It would be very ironic if in a couple hundred years our advances in medicine that saved so many lives actually end up exterminating our species in the long run.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I mean seriously, the only references are to newspaper and pop book titles (respect for Mary Roach, but even she would agree that she shouldn't be used as a source like that). Not a single fucking journal article. The Sci-Am article is in reference to mice, which, last I checked, we are not.

And a fucking Radiolab source? lulz

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My dog has a gluten allergy.
That's cuz dogs eat meat, bro. Well, and grass. And frisbees. And their shit. And other dog's shit. And sometimes couches. And the occasional shoe. Sometimes rocks. And whatever else happens to seem like it could be edible with some work.

But really, they should just be eating meat.

Cybsled

That's cuz dogs eat meat, bro. Well, and grass. And frisbees. And their shit. And other dog's shit. And sometimes couches. And the occasional shoe. Sometimes rocks. And whatever else happens to seem like it could be edible with some work.

But really, they should just be eating meat.
Dogs more or less evolved/developed eating whatever humans didn't want to eat. That's why they're happy eating whatever you decide to give them (within reason) and typically don't suffer ill effects.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My sister's dog eats nothing but kibble and if he gets anything that is not kibble, he will puke and shit everywhere within an hour. My dog on the other hand, is outdoors on the ranch and there is basically no way to keep him from eating whatever horrible shit he comes across including a wide variety of poop and random dead things in various states of decomposition. He has been doing this since he was a puppy and never pukes or gets the runs from anything, no matter how vile.

I think that is sort of the same thing as someone on a gluten free diet getting sick from eating bread or a vegetarian getting sick from eating meat. Your stomach sort of rejects things that it's not used to, but that doesn't mean you're allergic, you just shocked your stomach out of its routine. I think if you worked your way back into eating that stuff it would probably be fine, but as it is people just use it as proof that they are doing the right thing by following their wacky diet.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My sister's dog eats nothing but kibble and if he gets anything that is not kibble, he will puke and shit everywhere within an hour. My dog on the other hand, is outdoors on the ranch and there is basically no way to keep him from eating whatever horrible shit he comes across including a wide variety of poop and random dead things in various states of decomposition. He has been doing this since he was a puppy and never pukes or gets the runs from anything, no matter how vile.

I think that is sort of the same thing as someone on a gluten free diet getting sick from eating bread or a vegetarian getting sick from eating meat. Your stomach sort of rejects things that it's not used to, but that doesn't mean you're allergic, you just shocked your stomach out of its routine. I think if you worked your way back into eating that stuff it would probably be fine, but as it is people just use it as proof that they are doing the right thing by following their wacky diet.
This is more or less what I was getting at.

It's the same thing as going to Mexico and getting the shits for a week. It doesn't mean you're allergic to Mexico, it means that your digestive system isn't used to the specific bacteria that is prevalent at that location. All the Mexicans seem to do just fine living there. It's also why the "Don't feed your dog table scraps" myth is so pervasive too, because almost everyone feeds their dog highly processed grains now, and when you feed them actual food that they're not used to getting, they're spraying down the walls of your house with shit.

Very little to do with allergens, and way more to do with what Qhue said above.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
people have varying degrees of gluten intolerance and celiac disease is pretty common. it's probably wise for most people to get it checked out.