What vehicle do you drive?

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Ford discontinuing their Maverick small truck less than 2 years in. Claiming they can't get parts to make them. It was on track to be a HUGE seller.
lol just dumped the Facebook pages since I gave up on getting one and dissent wasn't too convert my order to a 23 for more with less features.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
That's absolutely insane, those things are everywhere in my area and a good looking truck as well.
fuck ton of issues that I saw being rushed hencho es Mexico.

if mine had come I was 50/50 on flipping it. shame on paper should have been amazing commuter utility vehicle

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My kids just inherited a car from their grandparents. A 2004 Toyota Corolla. I drove it home (9 hours). What a piece of shit. I mean, it runs very well, no mechanical problems, but I think I'm still vibrating from driving that thing. It's a tin can with no guts. Slow, rough ride, and not great gas mileage. The grandparents really maintained it well, and it only has 45,000 miles on it. But I hate it, and I'm sure it would fold like an accordion in the event of a crash.

I think I might sell it and get something better. Hard to know what's best. No rust, low mileage, very reliable...Maybe I'm being too fussy?
top10 safest car all around, not even in its class, of all classes
a418021d7ccd3f221111c70a9de50084.png

if it's 2004 and it vibrates that much probably means your engine mounts rotted away
92ee4a2eaaedd75aa476c1129d05f858.png

i mean you drove it 9hours home and all you can complain about it is that it shakes from engine mount rot and bare interior and it's slow

heck a few weekends and put some zoom zoom on it
c161a95390cee5ee3979dbb709a54f9f.png

53 ppl already bought this turbo kit, how bad can it be?

05add7c1891eadfeb10ed7634d3db23b.png

do kids need anything more?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No, it isn't that. It's that I didn't feel safe while driving it on the highway. Maybe I'm just a pussy. Thanks for the safety info you posted, that's helpful. I'll do a little more reading.
i mean, no doubt a new car is gonna give teens a safer ride w/ even more airbags and stuff like backupcams and blindspot monitoring, i mean you sit them in that car and they be like
"wow dad, what is this see dee player?"

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
i mean, no doubt a new car is gonna give teens a safer ride w/ even more airbags and stuff like backupcams and blindspot monitoring, i mean you sit them in that car and they be like
"wow dad, what is this see dee player?"

Yeah, there has already been a discussion that there is no way to plug the phone into the stereo...spoiled brats. I blame their mother.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What ever happened to kids driving a beater for their first car?

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah, there has already been a discussion that there is no way to plug the phone into the stereo...spoiled brats. I blame their mother.

That's a safety feature nowadays, but I used to used something like this back in the day.

1664227976868.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

No, it isn't that. It's that I didn't feel safe while driving it on the highway. Maybe I'm just a pussy. Thanks for the safety info you posted, that's helpful. I'll do a little more reading.
If you are going to go down the safety rabbit hole then you will eventually end up with a Volvo. If you are going to helicopter parent it, and they are injured in an accident, you will feel guilty with anything less.

So, you can tell them to choose the Corolla or one of the ugliest, but safest cars ever made, a Volvo.

As for the phone issue, the aftermarket radios are less than $500 bucks for a good one and you could probably get one with a phone jack for less than $200. I think Toyota is one of the easier aftermarket radio installs, if you want to do it yourself or make your kids learn how to do it. I learned how wires and electrical works from doing my own car stuff; cause my parents weren't going to pay for an after market stereo systems on my $2000 first car.

Also, if it's getting shit gas mileage, then there has to be something wrong, the 2001 Corolla my neighbor had was averaging something like 28 to 30 mpg city driving. The internets say it should get 40 mpg on the highway, which is great for a anything not a hybrid.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you are going to go down the safety rabbit hole then you will eventually end up with a Volvo. If you are going to helicopter parent it, and they are injured in an accident, you will feel guilty with anything less.

So, you can tell them to choose the Corolla or one of the ugliest, but safest cars ever made, a Volvo.

As for the phone issue, the aftermarket radios are less than $500 bucks for a good one and you could probably get one with a phone jack for less than $200. I think Toyota is one of the easier aftermarket radio installs, if you want to do it yourself or make your kids learn how to do it. I learned how wires and electrical works from doing my own car stuff; cause my parents weren't going to pay for an after market stereo systems on my $2000 first car.

Also, if it's getting shit gas mileage, then there has to be something wrong, the 2001 Corolla my neighbor had was averaging something like 28 to 30 mpg city driving. The internets say it should get 40 mpg on the highway, which is great for a anything not a hybrid.

Yeah, I've been looking at the aftermarket radios.

And as for mileage, it gets about 30 on the highway. Should be better. I have a mechanic friend who is going to give it a once over for me. I guess we'll see.

And I don't helicopter pilot. And I think Volvos are not ugly.

Burns

top10 safest car all around, not even in its class, of all classes
a418021d7ccd3f221111c70a9de50084.png

if it's 2004 and it vibrates that much probably means your engine mounts rotted away
92ee4a2eaaedd75aa476c1129d05f858.png

i mean you drove it 9hours home and all you can complain about it is that it shakes from engine mount rot and bare interior and it's slow

heck a few weekends and put some zoom zoom on it
c161a95390cee5ee3979dbb709a54f9f.png

53 ppl already bought this turbo kit, how bad can it be?

05add7c1891eadfeb10ed7634d3db23b.png

do kids need anything more?
I vaguely remember something about the Corolla having extra support in it's unibody frame that makes the car act like it has a built in roll cage. They knew it wasn't the prettiest car, so they made selling points of extra safety, fuel economy, and price point.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

tldr fuck nugget cali sheriff raided a garage in indiana b/c his $$$ donor wasn't getting his batmobile b/c he missed a payment and the charges were misappropriating "construction funds"

somehow all these paid off fucks cobbled this against the batmobile guy by using "construction funds" you know for buildings

Axiel

Molten Core Raider

Subarus eclipsed Volvos sometime after they stopped making those rectangular monstrosities.

My kids just inherited a car from their grandparents. A 2004 Toyota Corolla. I drove it home (9 hours). What a piece of shit. I mean, it runs very well, no mechanical problems, but I think I'm still vibrating from driving that thing. It's a tin can with no guts. Slow, rough ride, and not great gas mileage. The grandparents really maintained it well, and it only has 45,000 miles on it. But I hate it, and I'm sure it would fold like an accordion in the event of a crash.

I think I might sell it and get something better. Hard to know what's best. No rust, low mileage, very reliable...Maybe I'm being too fussy?

Corollas always feel that way, but with 20 year old struts and motor mounts it's going to feel like shit on the expressway. Though that car will probably still be on the road after most of the ones people on this thread are looking at are scrapped.

No street car is really safe in a crash at 70mph, better to teach them how to not crash in the first place. An old car with no illusions of invulnerability could help there, plus cheap to repair.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I vaguely remember something about the Corolla having extra support in it's unibody frame that makes the car act like it has a built in roll cage. They knew it wasn't the prettiest car, so they made selling points of extra safety, fuel economy, and price point.
That’s how the Subarus are. When I bought my Impreza in 2012 they talked about how it’s a built in roll cage, it had the only B pillars the jaws of life couldn’t cut through. I asked isn’t that bad if they need to get to someone? He said if the wreck was bad enough that the b pillars had to be cut in that car, there’s no way the person is alive lol

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That’s how the Subarus are. When I bought my Impreza in 2012 they talked about how it’s a built in roll cage, it had the only B pillars the jaws of life couldn’t cut through. I asked isn’t that bad if they need to get to someone? He said if the wreck was bad enough that the b pillars had to be cut in that car, there’s no way the person is alive lol
92c7acd75eeface98616fb92498b827e.png

470778f57edbe42583431051bc7363ee.jpg

7a8ce97a770c190d883bb2cedeb43e9d.jpg

• 2Like