What vehicle do you drive?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm so fucking jealous. That is one of the very few cars in the $100k or less range I'd actually trade my Corvette for.
Don't be jealous bro. I would rather have a Z06 again (had a C5 and C6) but I don't have the room for a DD and a sports car, so I had to compromise. I'm kind of hoping my wife likes the M6 better than the M5 and wants to keep it for herself so I can have a toy again.

It'll be Riviera Blue, Sakhir interior, and 343 wheels in silver (not the ones shown here).

rrr_img_93921.jpg

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think Toyota and Honda make anything better than a 3-series right now (or something like the M235i) because they for the most part don't make practical RWD cars. A camry is not a competitor to the 3-series, nor is an accord, or Acura TL or any of those. The Lexus IS250/350 are a legitimate competitor (I say this as an IS-F owner for many years) but thats about it. I'm not sure if you meant Lexus in your statement or really just Honda/Toyota. And the Lexus price is very similar to BMW.

There are just some odd lineup holes in the Toyota stable. They don't make a 3-row SUV that isn't based on a truck, so the GX and LX both combine the worst aspects of the 4runner and land cruiser base cars with the price of Lexus. Nothing to compete with the X5 and GL or Q7, for example. The RX is a camry with no 3rd row.
From a performance and dynamics standpoint, you are correct; Honda and Toyota don't make a RWD or sporty car like BMW does. However,mostof the people who buy a low end BMW are only buying it for the badge and now the fact that it's RWD. With that in mind, the Japanese do a better job of making a: economic, safe, quick, reliable, affordable car. That's all a 328i is supposed to be and someone who buys that is better off with an Accord V6, for instance.

The _35i series cars start to break that trend because of the power and "sportier" characteristics. But, even then, a new Mustang is way better value (brand new). The used and CPO market, thankfully, helps buyers a lot.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
From a performance and dynamics standpoint, you are correct; Honda and Toyota don't make a RWD or sporty car like BMW does. However,mostof the people who buy a low end BMW are only buying it for the badge and now the fact that it's RWD. With that in mind, the Japanese do a better job of making a: economic, safe, quick, reliable, affordable car. That's all a 328i is supposed to be and someone who buys that is better off with an Accord V6, for instance.

The _35i series cars start to break that trend because of the power and "sportier" characteristics. But, even then, a new Mustang is way better value (brand new). The used and CPO market, thankfully, helps buyers a lot.
WRU Supra
frown.png
Or hell, even S2000.

RE: Toyota, the FRS is averycapable sportscar, but it is an unfortunately 'pure' sportscar. It needs a TRD/STI versionbadly. 300+HP would be amazing in that platform. Basically the Miata problem (sans MS MX-5 years, I guess).

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I owned a Supra. It is absolutely insane that car was Toyota's last real sports car. It was discontinued all the way back in 1998 (2002 in Japan) and all we have from then until now is the shitty Subaru BRZ / Toyota collaboration. The Supra is far overdue for a come back, but I am afraid it will be priced out of reach of us mere mortals. Hell, the MkIV Supra TT was something like $45k back in mid-90s money. Surely it would be a $100k+ car today.

RIP Supra.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I owned a Supra. It is absolutely insane that car was Toyota's last real sports car. It was discontinued all the way back in 1998 (2002 in Japan) and all we have from then until now is the shitty Subaru BRZ / Toyota collaboration. The Supra is far overdue for a come back, but I am afraid it will be priced out of reach of us mere mortals. Hell, the MkIV Supra TT was something like $45k back in mid-90s money. Surely it would be a $100k+ car today.

RIP Supra.
~72K in today dollars it looks like. My father owned 2 MK IIIs before going domestic (in the station wagon/minivan sense), I loved those cars though even though the MK III was a bit chunky. Never got old enough before the IV was discontinued in the US to even approach a MK IV and by the time I could afford one... well let's just say I'm not paying new Corvette prices for a 20 year old car.

I still have dreams about finding a relatively low mileage '92 MK III and going full racecar on it 2JZ swap and all just for S&Gs, but $ wise there's better bargains to be had so unless I'm commuting in a helicopter I don't see it happening. Oh the halcyon days of yore...

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looks like my S4, minus the grill. Is that estoril blue? If so, it's a beautiful color but it seems to pick up scratches and swirls like nuts.
Nah, I love Estoril blue too, this is Scuba blue, which isn't "bad" I'd prefer estoril if I didn't have to pay 3,000 for it. I prefer scuba over nogaro/sprint/sepang/moonlight/utopia. I think Scuba is as close to a "true" blue that they have. Estoril is a bit more red-shifted towards purple, and sepang is definitely a lot lighter.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I have the Estroil Blue II option on my 335xi. Estroil Blue is the 18 year old original color and is slightly different in color(lighter and not as shiny). The thing I fear is if I ever have to have body work done I'm pretty sure I'm hosed if I want to keep the color. BMWUSA doesn't carry the official EBII touch up paint kit 51912360617 due to OSHA labeling issues. I found a place in Estonia that would export it to me and it took 2 months to get it once I ordered it =/

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
WRU Supra
frown.png
Or hell, even S2000.

RE: Toyota, the FRS is averycapable sportscar, but it is an unfortunately 'pure' sportscar. It needs a TRD/STI versionbadly. 300+HP would be amazing in that platform. Basically the Miata problem (sans MS MX-5 years, I guess).
Ain't that the truth. Mitsubishi is basically done making cars, so no more Evo. Supra is long since dead (though I see one every 6 months or so on the road) and even the STi - while looking different - has had the same drive train since 2004 (in America). The BRZ/FRS looks the part and is actually fun to drive, but like you said Palum, it doesn't have any balls. I'd rather have a Golf GTi for the same money; much larger interior, great tech and sadly, a lot faster.

IF (and that's a massive, if) Toyota comes out with a new Supra - they are working with BMW on some crap too - it'll be too costly and to compete, will be in the 70-80 range to start. I just don't trust Toyota to make agoodsports car. They keep fucking up the Lexus versions.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

I guess all you're saying here is if you ignore all the stuff that makes the BMW better, then the Toyota or Honda is better.

Well, ok.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I guess all you're saying here is if you ignore all the stuff that makes the BMW better, then the Toyota or Honda is better.

Well, ok.
I think his point is BMW just isn't any value unless you are actually in the luxury category which is beyond the 2/3/4 series. The interiors are no longer first rate (they've added a lot of faux and plastic items), the M series/package cars are just not far ahead (or worse, just marketing gimmicks) and the options packages which used to be 'exotic' are now standard on more and more cars making a justification for purchase that much harder. When you compare E92 M3 (gold standard IMO) to the competition when it came out to the new F80 vs competition... yea, other auto companies (not Toyota or Honda though on the performance side lulz) have done more in the last 5 years. It's not that BMWs are BAD cars, and indeed some of them are superb - but they are expensive to maintain and frankly unless you are going loaded 7 series type of a car, there are better options for performance or luxury for the money, even from MB, Porsche or Audi.

TL;DR: In the US the 3 series used to be a hallmark of entry luxury and it's slowly becoming just an expensive copy of a domestic because BMW is not keeping up.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Make sure the prior owner changed the oil regularly :p

Someone on /r/justrolledintotheshop posted what happens if a Audi TT goes 84,000 miles without an oil change, the person who owned it had to be mentally handicapped or something (Album:Audi TT - Album on Imgur)
QOk75JSh.jpg
Plenty of people never change their oil, especially ones that change cars regularly. I used to know a guy that bought a new pickup every 2 years and never changed the oil because he knew he would get rid of it before it started having problems. He was kind of a dick but at least he's dead now.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Well, ok.
No, come on man. What I'm saying is: the BMW brand is what sells for the entry and mid level cars, not the quality of the cars themselves. A 328i is a fucking expensive car compared to a V6 Honda Accord and not better. The brand has been diluted with mass-market crap and until you get into the 5-6-7 and M cars, they aren't worth it. Cheap plastics. Lot's of NVH. Insulting prices. Low value. Yet, people will flock to that 328 because it says BMW on the badge.

Believe me, I love the brand - I'm on car 5 now - but I can at least recognize that a lot of what they sell is over priced and dreary. Most people only see the badge.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Nah, I love Estoril blue too, this is Scuba blue, which isn't "bad" I'd prefer estoril if I didn't have to pay 3,000 for it. I prefer scuba over nogaro/sprint/sepang/moonlight/utopia. I think Scuba is as close to a "true" blue that they have. Estoril is a bit more red-shifted towards purple, and sepang is definitely a lot lighter.
Be glad you don't have estoril. That's what I've got, and there's something with either the paint or clear-coat that causes it to pick up swirls and scratches like crazy. Either that, or the "crystal" they put in the paint simply shows defects easier. After I noticed that blowing on the car would induce swirls, I checked out the audi forums and it seems like it's a common issue. So be happy you didn't get Estoril.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
No, come on man. What I'm saying is: the BMW brand is what sells for the entry and mid level cars, not the quality of the cars themselves. A 328i is a fucking expensive car compared to a V6 Honda Accord and not better. The brand has been diluted with mass-market crap and until you get into the 5-6-7 and M cars, they aren't worth it. Cheap plastics. Lot's of NVH. Insulting prices. Low value. Yet, people will flock to that 328 because it says BMW on the badge.

Believe me, I love the brand - I'm on car 5 now - but I can at least recognize that a lot of what they sell is over priced and dreary. Most people only see the badge.
To be fair I'd never buy a 328. Maybe you're right.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
To be fair I'd never buy a 328. Maybe you're right.
Exactly. No "car enthusiast" would. There's some shithead at my job who parks their E92 328 sedan in two spots like they're driving a fucking Lamborghini.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Exactly. No "car enthusiast" would. There's some shithead at my job who parks their E92 328 sedan in two spots like they're driving a fucking Lamborghini.
People who do that seriously rustle my Jimmies, especially when parking is scarce. It just screams "key my fucking douche-mobile".

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I had a 328 coupe and it was total junk. I honestly preferred driving my girlfriend's Passat. Once I had about 10,000 miles on it, the entire dash and seat controls creaked/rattled like an old styrofoam cooler. BMW service just laughed at me and said it's a "sports car and is going to rattle", rofl.. The run flat tires were also hideous and also contributed to the rattling. If given the choice again, I would buy an Acura/VW way before a 3 series BMW. My Audi is so superior to my old 328/335 in almost every conceivable way, I can't fathom why anybody would choose a BMW over an Audi after actually driving each.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I had a 328 coupe and it was total junk. I honestly preferred driving my girlfriend's Passat. Once I had about 10,000 miles on it, the entire dash and seat controls creaked/rattled like an old styrofoam cooler. BMW service just laughed at me and said it's a "sports car and is going to rattle", rofl.. The run flat tires were also hideous and also contributed to the rattling. If given the choice again, I would buy an Acura/VW way before a 3 series BMW. My Audi is so superior to my old 328/335 in almost every conceivable way, I can't fathom why anybody would choose a BMW over an Audi after actually driving each.
I'm not sure an A4 is any better than a 328, unless you just like the interior better. But thats pretty subjective.

I don't think any S4 owner ever tried to race me when I had my 335, although that race would have been over in about 2 seconds. (335 not stock).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm not sure an A4 is any better than a 328, unless you just like the interior better. But thats pretty subjective.

I don't think any S4 owner ever tried to race me when I had my 335, although that race would have been over in about 2 seconds. (335 not stock).
Can't comment on an A4 specifically, but with the exception of the seats/steering the interior is pretty much the same as an S4. I guess in terms of "looks" it is subjective vis a vis a 328/335, but imho the quality of the materials and fit/finish isn't. The Audis use a high quality "softish" plastic throughout the cabin that deadens noise and is scratch resistant. The 328/335 uses a hard, rigid plastic throughout the cabin that pops and squeaks, even under light finger pressure. The audi just looks/feels "tighter" all around.

I have no interest in racing really (its more being able to overtake/dodge idiots for me), but I thought the S4/335 we basically neck and neck?