What was your dream growing up before life kicked you in the nuts/vag?

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Perhaps it's mid-life crisis settling in early but I can't help but stare out the office window at my well paying IT job everyday and wonder, "How the fuck did I end up here and why am I miserable"

Fresh out of college I had dreams of being a film editor, being creative, and quietly reflecting on doing what I enjoyed. Instead for the past 12 years I've been stuck in an cubicle IT prison because I decided to sacrifice my dream that was difficult/not paying well for mind numbing, repetitive work that is slowly giving me cancer. Aside from the antidepressants I now take I've recently decided to take classes to become a voiceover actor just because it gives me a creative release. Hopefully when I retire from my current job (7 years) I can do I what I want to do as opposed to what I have to do to make ends meet.

What was your dream before it got crushed by the weight of the real world? What's your current goal now?

(forgive any gramatical errors as the Straterra and vodka messes with my head)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Aerospace engineering. I mean, which kid didn't have 'fantasy' jobs that they knew really nothing about. But the one that followed me around most was aerospace. I was fascinated with aircraft (among other mechanical wonders of the world) and Clarency "Kelly" Johnson kept coming up every time I'd find one of my grandfather or dad's old books or WWII VHS tapes and stuff like that. Then the SR-71 and the F-117. I think that was the one which stuck with me the most.

Didn't work out that way, but not sure I was ever sad. Aviation has been taken over by computers and reductionist algorithms rather than the Bill Lear "If it looks good, it will fly good" school of thought.

I think I still have the core of the ideals and aspirations, but it will eventually become a scratch build project of and aircraft or more likely a car when I have the money/space/time in a few years down the road.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Aerospace engineering. I mean, which kid didn't have 'fantasy' jobs that they knew really nothing about.
My fantasy job was "Doctor" but mostly because that's what my dad is. It stayed with me until Calc 2 and it was a big fat Nooope.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Pre-med has to take all four semesters of calc? That's news to me, I'm 99% sure the pre meds that were in my college classes weren't doing that.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Can confirm I only took Cal 1 as a pre-med, only the engineers at my school had to take the others. I'm only 27 so probably haven't had time to fail at my dreams yet.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought I was gonna be on the bomb squad. I can't really remember if I thought that would just score me chicks or if I actually wanted it though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't remember ever thinking I want to be a soandso when I grow up. My mom kept something I wrote when I was probably 8-10 years old for school or something. I wanted to grow up and live all alone in a cabin in the woods. Now I live all alone in a house in the woods. Later I wanted to be a wildlife biologist after being around a few at age 13 or so for a while. Went to school and got a wildlife management degree and a minor in biology. Turned out to be too much a people person job for me. You manage people 99% of the time and the people/habitat 1% of the time. Still put it to good use tho.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I was just having a little whinefest last night because I'm turning 28 and getting old sucks. But I promptly felt like shit because i triggered my wife who lost her brother last year and "all we'll be doing is watching people die now".

Going to try to whine less. I just dont want to do a mandatory 40 hour a week job. I haven't given up on it, but I'll prob be 35 before I can do otherwise and that bums me out. I may be able to start a business right now and moonlight, but it'd be in addition to 40 hrs and I've got all these fucking home/rental mprovement projects.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I picked up the guitar at like 11 or so, got really good really fast and figured I'd be famous. Unfortunately it got to my head and I never really improved from there or tried to join good bands. I gave up on that dream around 25 or so. Now I just play for fun, so it's all good.

Also right out of HS I went to university for computer engineering. Dropped out first semester and worked a dead-end job for like 7 years before I wised up and went back. Lived a pretty shitty life for a long time.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Aerospace engineering. I mean, which kid didn't have 'fantasy' jobs that they knew really nothing about. But the one that followed me around most was aerospace. I was fascinated with aircraft (among other mechanical wonders of the world) and Clarency "Kelly" Johnson kept coming up every time I'd find one of my grandfather or dad's old books or WWII VHS tapes and stuff like that. Then the SR-71 and the F-117. I think that was the one which stuck with me the most.

Didn't work out that way, but not sure I was ever sad. Aviation has been taken over by computers and reductionist algorithms rather than the Bill Lear "If it looks good, it will fly good" school of thought.

I think I still have the core of the ideals and aspirations, but it will eventually become a scratch build project of and aircraft or more likely a car when I have the money/space/time in a few years down the road.
I had the same dream, but my dream job would be something like space x. Even got a BS in aerospace engineering. I'm a marketing and sales manager now. Yippee.

Vinen

God is dead
That having money would make me happy.

Now I am high-functioning alcoholic with near zero hobbies who is happy when an e-mail comes in from work at night because it helps fill a void.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I had no life plan until I was probably 30. I lived life by the day and thoroughly enjoyed it, but when I hit 30 it was kind of a "Ok, what the fuck are you doing?" moment. I turned 40 this year. I'm now in at a company I really like, making enough money to live comfortably and have a retirement plan. Life is better now than it's ever been for me, so maybe that kick to the nuts is still ahead of me. My girlfriend did just have her IUD removed, so I imagine that could lead to a kick in the nuts.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My mom is a pack rat and saves everything I ever did as a kid. She gave me a box full of old school projects a couple years back and in one of them I had this rolled up life plan list I had done in like 3rd grade.

3rd grade Khane thought he was going to be a professional baseball player, have 3 kids by the time he was 23, and retire at age 30.

Didn't quite work out that way. But at least I'm winning internet arguments.