What's your asset layout look like?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Saw this in another thread and it was a nice format and one I haven't used before so I thought I'd steal it...
1696640427105.png

Kept it to percentages because we're not gauche savages and improper/unpolite monsters... And I'm not a Foler alt...

I'm interested in how others are balancing this stuff. Demographics wise : I'm a mid 50's married dude (and yes this is the household, not just me). Various things that happened in my 30's caused me to be late to the game of really starting to think and/or save for retirement unfortunately. Oh, and the "other" up there is cash, cash equivalents, etc...

Even if you're not willing to share yours, I'm interested in what some of you more accomplished money folks around here think about this distribution and how big of an idiot I am for it. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm doing pretty well with diversifying I think

chart.png

• 8Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
I haven't looked at my actual breakout in a while so thanks! I am 42, married at 32, one kid, wife has been stay at home until this year. My 401k was started at 26, and I have been maxing all available retirement accounts since 31(401k, HSA, 2 IRA) I started a taxable brokerage at 31 as well. We don't spend very much and I have been investing more than 50% of my gross since 2017(I think I did prior to this, but don't have actual records before).

I have been planning on FIRE for a long time, and in theory could retire at my spending right now, but I want to be able to withdraw at a super conservative percentage. I read the book "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing" at 31 and have been mostly just investing in Index Funds since then. I have bought some stupid stuff like SPACs etc., but currently I only buy Total US Stock Indexes(ETF/Fund depending on account), and QQQ. I have auto investing setup for all retirement accounts/a couple brokerages(like Fidelity auto buying Total Stock fund every week), and then one more taxable brokerage that I manually buy VTI in.

The only time I ever sell anything is to Tax Loss Harvest for myself in which case I just swap from like Total US Stock to S&P 500, or Tax Gain harvest in my sons UTMA. My house still has a Mortgage that I could pay off whenever, but my payment/interest rate is so low that I just invest instead.

chart.png

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Like a bunch of numbers on a screen. IDK what any of them do. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. You can't explain that.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Like a bunch of numbers on a screen. IDK what any of them do. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. You can't explain that.
WMT and GOOG at the market...
AAPL, when the index fell.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
House equity is about 10% for me, various IRA/401k/SEP-IRA's are about 25% invested in my wife's company stock purchase plan in her 401k, rest is spread between VTI, SPY, and VHT (about 2%). Cars/bank accounts/cash is ~5%.

Most of my cash is in taxable brokerage accounts (~60%) which is also spread between VTI, SPY and VHT.

I've been looking at getting into a few of those apartment renovation funds but am doing so well over the years with VTI that I don't want to mess with it.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Business equinity for me is 70% and climbing- its great but scary. Egg and baskets right? If my firm was in Ukraine it would be worth 0.
15% Primary house.
14% long term investments
1% Bullshit

A few of my partners sold a chunk to diversify but we grew 22% last year and on pace for 18% this year.
We decided to move away from dividend disruptions and focus on supercharged growth with mindful M&A so far its been gang busters, but personal cash flow has been hit hard.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Business equinity for me is 70% and climbing- its great but scary. Egg and baskets right? If my firm was in Ukraine it would be worth 0.
15% Primary house.
14% long term investments
1% Bullshit

A few of my partners sold a chunk to diversify but we grew 22% last year and on pace for 18% this year.
We decided to move away from dividend disruptions and focus on supercharged growth with mindful M&A so far its been gang busters, but personal cash flow has been hit hard.

Is your plan to grow a few more years and then cash out in a sale?