Wheel of Time

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Thought the 1st episode was ok. Perrin being married was just STUPID. all of them were virgins throughout the first like 3 books, mat then perrin, then eqwene and finally rand, though nynaeve was the true last to pop.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Thought the 1st episode was ok. Perrin being married was just STUPID. all of them were virgins throughout the first like 3 books, mat then perrin, then eqwene and finally rand, though nynaeve was the true last to pop.

Rand sure makes up for lost time though, lol. Can't wait to see how these asshats handle that shit. If the show lasts that long.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Have watched the first two episodes. Mildly entertaining. Crap CGI. Super predictable underscore. Mediocre acting from mostly unknown people.

Meh. They're doing okay. I'll keep watching.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
This is Tommy Wiseau level bad. Like, so cringe-inducingly bad that it’s pretty funny… especially after they spent like $100(?) million.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's so freeing never reading books. Listen to all you miserable fucks.

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 12 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Finally figured out why Perrin seems so familiar. It's Parker!

1637388177708.png

1637388189779.png

Extra points if you know what I'm actually referring to. ;)

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Went in expecting a 1 or 2 out of 10 in terms of quality thanks to the trailer and reading this thread so I was pleasantly surprised when it came out at about a 5/10 for me across the first 3 episodes.

Acting/Directing and casting has largely been total ass so far. Rand is channeling his inner Hayden Christensen impression from Star Wars, this version of Nynaeve is apparently a ninja, Egwyens face keeps reminding me about that Austin Powers skit with Fred Savage, and everything about the pacing and suspense just feels off and wrong. Rand apparently can fight a Trolloc whose twice his size but freezes and acts like a bitch when a random girl points his sword at him, despite said girl looking behind/over her shoulder/out the window constantly.

Huge disappointment considering the amount of money Amazon has sunk into this.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wheel of Time
Leavetaking
Season: 1
Episode: 1
Air date: 2021-11-18

Guest stars: Jan Petřina, Roman Dvorak, Lolita Chakrabarti, Michael McElhatton, Naana Agyei-Ampadu, Mandi Symonds, Juliet Howland, Christopher Sciueref, Litiana Biutanaseva, Lilibet Biutanaseva, Michael Tuahine, Johann Myers, Petr Šimčák, Barney Harris, Marcus Rutherford, Helena Westerman
A strange noblewoman arrives in a remote mountain village, claiming one of five youths is the reincarnation of an ancient power who once destroyed the world – and will do so again, if she’s not able to discover which of them it is. But they all have less time than they think.

I'm a big fan of Jordan's work and I've re-read Wheel of Time at least 7 times, so watching the first three episodes was.. kinda meh.

It's kind of entertaining, but i didn't actually expect any better quality to this genre compared to as previously mentioned, Legend of the Seeker. It's something that would normally air on Syfy, because it's B or C rated TV show.

As someone who is into reading books, every time they add something or get it wrong, I go "why even bother", but I guess they're trying to appeal to a wider audience and need to tick all "necessary boxes" to actually get it into prodction.

Perrin having a wife, Dragon Reborn being either man or woman, Men making source filthy by touching it, Moiraine showing off her ring, Mat being portrayed as a full blown thief, Thom not being present in Two Rivers, racial diversity of Two Rivers, Darkfriend Inkeeper hinting at homosexuality of Mat/Rand, etc etc

I'll probably watch the rest of the series because of the entertainment value, I'm really interested in a few scenes and wonder how they'll do those, but scenes from A memory of Light are still far off.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How faithful was Game of Thrones to the books? (until they caught up). I never read or watched GoT due to it not being finished.

I know Shannara and Sword of Truth was fucked up from the source. I guess they don't really make these adaptions for the old fans, feels like they want to cast a wider net for more views, which does not really seem to work.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Sanderson is on Reddit right now talking about the series and the advice he gave. Lots of interesting things being said.

GoT was 90%+ or so accurate and faithful to the books, with the exception of some later side stories and potentially major plots (Most of Dorne, the fake Targ brother, the other Sealord brother, the stone plague outbreak, the guild factions) that were just omitted almost entirely because they either get added late or never resolved by the time the show hit.

• 1Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm a big fan of Jordan's work and I've re-read Wheel of Time at least 17 times, so watching the first three episodes was.. kinda meh.

It's kind of entertaining, but i didn't actually expect any better quality to this genre compared to as previously mentioned, Legend of the Seeker. It's something that would normally air on Syfy, because it's B or C rated TV show. Some of the TV shows on Syfy were actually interesting and entertaining, even if they were of lower quality.

As someone who is into reading books, every time they add something or get it wrong, I go "why even bother", but I guess they're trying to appeal to a wider audience (SJWs, trans, bigots, etc) and need to tick all "necessary boxes" to actually get it into production.

Perrin having a wife, Dragon Reborn being either man or woman, Men making source filthy by touching it, Moiraine showing off her ring in the tavern, Mat being portrayed as a full blown thief, Thom not being present in Two Rivers, racial diversity of Two Rivers, Darkfriend Inkeeper hinting at homosexuality of Mat/Rand, Skipping huge sections of the first book before Aridhol, cutting out Mordeth entirely, Nynaeve soloing a Trolloc, swords being katanas. I admit, whitecloaks were portrayed rather nicely, KKK of the series

I'll probably watch the rest of the series because of the entertainment value (I'm subbed to Amazon Prime for other reasons), even though I'm really interested in a few scenes and wonder how they'll do those - could turn either way, but considering who is behind this, the man with the most money on earth, this could be done much much better. This is the age of 4/8k after all.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Reading Sanderson's comments helps bring some things into focus vis-a-vis the changes they made.

The 'dragon reborn could be a woman' is by far the silliest of the changes owing to the male/female dichotomy being so incredibly core to everything.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just awful series, not sure why I was expecting it to be better. The amount of information and fun that they cut from this is nuts. No warder cloak, No Forsaken, why are they trollocs there really? Apparently there is no seals holding the dark one. Heron Mark blades are shown but no one talks about them? No mention of lews therin or Dragonmount. Mat is a dick and Perrin is married, zero comedy from Mat. Fuck these people for making this shit show.

Sorry for the rant, I am just annoyed by this. RJ is rolling around in his grave.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Sanderson is on Reddit right now talking about the series and the advice he gave. Lots of interesting things being said.

GoT was 90%+ or so accurate and faithful to the books, with the exception of some later side stories and potentially major plots (Most of Dorne, the fake Targ brother, the other Sealord brother, the stone plague outbreak, the guild factions) that were just omitted almost entirely because they either get added late or never resolved by the time the show hit.
I don’t really understand what Sanderson is talking about with the point of Perrin’s wife. They wanted to convey he had rage issues? He didn’t have rage issues. He was timid in the books because he was so huge he could hurt people easily and he was conscious of that.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Perrin could have had rage issues, but it never came up, blacksmith =strong I could hurt someone if I struck them in anger, thus he was "timid" .

Thom was in lightbridge in the books. He is how rand got his instrument.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Perrin could have had rage issues, but it never came up, blacksmith =strong I could hurt someone if I struck them in anger, thus he was "timid" .

Thom was in lightbridge in the books. He is how rand got his instrument.
Yeah but he was also in two rivers, and with them during shadar logoth. He left there with rand and mat and helped them get to whitebridge. That was how rand learned to do anything musical, by watching and helping thom. He actually left them in whitebridge. I don’t see how they’re going to build any kind of bond with his character when rand and mat know him all of ten minutes in the show. There was no reason for him to help them like he did in the show. In the book they knew each other for a long time and had gone through a lot together already.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had nothing to watch last night so I gave this a try, got about 30 seconds into the monolog where she says the dragon reborn could be a man or a woman and shut it off.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users