Wheel of Time

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If even half of the leaks for episode 8 are true it's going to be a glorious shit show

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I decided to rewatch all the episodes to get ready for the 8th. This was a grave error.

My advice is to drink heavily before watching if you do.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
My thoughts on this, and the longevity of the show.

If we look at other productions of books to tv/movies. You had LOTR, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. Those are the biggest I can think of. All of them large productions that took a long time from start to end of the series, and they all followed the origin stories rather faithfully (at least in the beginning, GOT stands out in the later seasons since there was little to no material to draw from). The original fan base created by the books helped create hype for the franchises and their continuing instalments. The original viewer count is massively skewed towards fans of the books.

So loop goes

1) As people who haven't read the books get into the movies/show, the hype is kept up by the adaptation being "fairly" accurate to the original content. This keeps the fans of the series involved and going "oh, you think it is good now, just you wait" to new viewers. The fans of the books help with the hype as they enjoy watching the books come to life on the screen. This marketing is worth more than any promo or ad.
2) This led to a re-release of the books and which more and more read, increasing hype for the franchise of both movie/series/book format. You all remember how in 2001 you'd have to go deep into a book store to find LOTR under the fantasy section, but after the release of LOTR, for the next three years they were front and centre of any bookstore (along with Harry Potter).
3) As new fans of the show started reading the books that were now marketed as much as the show, the books were "better", but still the shows were faithful, and the people who didn't want to wait for the "next instalment" suddenly became the same same as the people of point 1. Fans of the book content.

Following that all three of those franchises exploded in popularity. Films/series created fuel for the books, books created fuel for the film/series.

I don't see how this series can follow that loop.
The massive view count of the series is created by the brand name. I am also fairly certain the original viewer count is massively skewed towards fans of the books, who have read the source material. But that is where it stops. Fans of the original books can't say "Oh, just you wait!" because they no longer can tell. It's deviated from things from characters, character motivations, physical characteristics and entire plot events. If they manage to do that within a few episodes, where will the series be in one, two, four+ seasons from now? The red wedding of GOT was well known and people had set up cameras to prepare for the events to tape their friends and loved ones cries. GRR Martin said he loved that.

Falme, the blowing of the horn, we come, the ogier fighting at the stone? Who knows what "favourite" moment is cut out. What character growth / motivation is removed. Mat is my favourite character in the books, no idea if he would be in the TV show. Or if he will face events or do things that made him my favourite character to begin with.

Way I see this going is that the viewer count of the series will continue to drop. Soon I expect the viewcount will skew far more towards non-book readers as book readers. And unlike the previous examples, as they pick up the books to not wait for the next season they will notice just how bad the show is compared to them, and also stop watching. The shows deviation from the books will create a negative loop of viewers unlike the positive one of LOTR, GOT and Harry Potter.

Not sure if the creators of this show are aware or just don't care.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This should bring some good laughs.

New World x The Wheel of Time Twitch Drops​

DECEMBER 22, 2021

|

GENERAL

Thewheeloftime-EN-740.jpg

Greetings, Adventurers!
To celebrate the season one finale of The Wheel of Time, specially-themed Twitch Drops will be releasing tomorrow. Some of your favorite Content Creators will be hosting watch parties for the finale tomorrow, followed with New World streams so you can start earning the Drops. Make sure you catch up if you haven’t seen the rest of the season yet!

TWITCH DROPS​

The more New World you watch, the more you earn. Watch 7 cumulative hours of New World 'Drops Enabled' streams between December 23 at 9 P.M. PT and January 12, 2022 at 12 A.M. PT to earn all items in the Drop. The Wheel of Time inspired player set features coats, cloaks, blades, and a company crest, which will unlock in the following order - one after each hour watched. Learn more and link your account on our Twitch Drops page.
  1. Nynaeve’s Coat “Listen to the winds for they carry true wisdom.”
  2. Red Ajah Cloak “This color serves as a warning for those who would seek to do harm.”
  3. Tam’s Blade (Rapier skin) “Beautiful as it is deadly. A true guardian's weapon.”
  4. Ouroboros Crest
  5. Children of the Light “Ivory robes can sometimes belie the intentions of their wearers.”
  6. Shadowspawn Blade (Sword skin) “The fearsome claw of a terrible dark lord.”
  7. Egwene’s Cloak “Only the gifted can follow the path of magic.”

WATCH PARTY​

Join the following Content Creators’ watch parties for the finale tomorrow, followed with New World streams so you can start earning the Twitch Drops!
Can’t make it? No worries. You can watch The Wheel of Time at your convenience on Amazon Prime Video, and you have until January 12, 2022 at 12 A.M. PT to earn the Twitch Drops.

ABOUT THE WHEEL OF TIME

The Wheel of Time is set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to access it. The story follows Moiraine, a member of the incredibly powerful all-female organization called the Aes Sedai as she arrives in the small town of Two Rivers. There, she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women, one of whom is prophesized to be the Dragon Reborn, who will either save or destroy humanity. Watch the entire Season 1 of The Wheel of Time exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Thanks for your support! We’ll see you in Aeternum.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Wheel of Time is the most streamed TV show 3 weeks running now (which is weird since its been running for 5 weeks?) the season finale drops tonight at 7pm EDT

the budget for season 2 has been expanded, maybe they can afford costumes now

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
How much does dirt cost, though? Half the complaints could have been fixed by having the director say "wait, roll around in the dirt before this next scene". Outdoor filming in white clothing? Shit, they'd have to take special precautions to stay as white as they stayed. Just letting the extras relax or horse around between takes might have been enough to fix it.

It looks to me like this show suffers from retarded decisions rather than a lack of budget.

• 1Edgelord

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But Imagine how much more retarded they can be with more money.

• 1Worf

Raes

Vyemm Raider
How much does dirt cost, though? Half the complaints could have been fixed by having the director say "wait, roll around in the dirt before this next scene". Outdoor filming in white clothing? Shit, they'd have to take special precautions to stay as white as they stayed. Just letting the extras relax or horse around between takes might have been enough to fix it.

It looks to me like this show suffers from retarded decisions rather than a lack of budget.

No question. We've been over this. They have the same damn budget as the Witcher, there is no excuse for the poor quality.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
wow, i went in with exceedingly low expectations and somehow the show managed to be even worse than I thought possible. great job. What a shit show of a finale, lol at the entire eye of the world. what a stupid 3000 years ago scene. Great job with the horn, that really felt impactful.

and lol at the stinger, "we've come to reclaim our world! but wait, see that stupid 8 year old bitch? summon a giant wave to drown her ass! Seanchean, out!!"

if there was any justice this would be cancelled and the showrunner never able to find a job again. instead we'll get at least 2 more seasons, awesome

my wife loves the books and has been generally supportive of the show, just brushing off all the things i make fun of, but after we watched this episode she just quietly walked out of the room and won't talk to me lol

ba'alzamon is a dirty jew, confirmed

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was a top 10 series of mine.

This show is shit.

Can't waste more words on it.

• 3Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This should bring some good laughs.

New World x The Wheel of Time Twitch Drops​

DECEMBER 22, 2021

|

GENERAL

Thewheeloftime-EN-740.jpg

Greetings, Adventurers!
To celebrate the season one finale of The Wheel of Time, specially-themed Twitch Drops will be releasing tomorrow. Some of your favorite Content Creators will be hosting watch parties for the finale tomorrow, followed with New World streams so you can start earning the Drops. Make sure you catch up if you haven’t seen the rest of the season yet!

TWITCH DROPS​

The more New World you watch, the more you earn. Watch 7 cumulative hours of New World 'Drops Enabled' streams between December 23 at 9 P.M. PT and January 12, 2022 at 12 A.M. PT to earn all items in the Drop. The Wheel of Time inspired player set features coats, cloaks, blades, and a company crest, which will unlock in the following order - one after each hour watched. Learn more and link your account on our Twitch Drops page.
  1. Nynaeve’s Coat “Listen to the winds for they carry true wisdom.”
  2. Red Ajah Cloak “This color serves as a warning for those who would seek to do harm.”
  3. Tam’s Blade (Rapier skin) “Beautiful as it is deadly. A true guardian's weapon.”
  4. Ouroboros Crest
  5. Children of the Light “Ivory robes can sometimes belie the intentions of their wearers.”
  6. Shadowspawn Blade (Sword skin) “The fearsome claw of a terrible dark lord.”
  7. Egwene’s Cloak “Only the gifted can follow the path of magic.”

WATCH PARTY​

Join the following Content Creators’ watch parties for the finale tomorrow, followed with New World streams so you can start earning the Twitch Drops!
Can’t make it? No worries. You can watch The Wheel of Time at your convenience on Amazon Prime Video, and you have until January 12, 2022 at 12 A.M. PT to earn the Twitch Drops.

ABOUT THE WHEEL OF TIME

The Wheel of Time is set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists and only certain women are allowed to access it. The story follows Moiraine, a member of the incredibly powerful all-female organization called the Aes Sedai as she arrives in the small town of Two Rivers. There, she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women, one of whom is prophesized to be the Dragon Reborn, who will either save or destroy humanity. Watch the entire Season 1 of The Wheel of Time exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. Thanks for your support! We’ll see you in Aeternum.
All this does is remind me that Amazon has recently shit the bed on two significant media endeavors.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Something to help ease the taint from your minds after watching that faggot's abomination of a finale.

• 4Like
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 4 users

Shmoopy

Wife is huge fan of WOT and was really hyped about the show. She uttered the phrase "wow this fucking sucks" twice tonight. Haven't heard her say that since Picard. 😅

• 2Worf

Shmoopy

Anyone else glad they:

Killed off Loial? A favorite book character but they butchered him. 100% terrible attempt

• 2Like

Burns

I thought the final episode was better than the previous 4, but that's not saying much. A much higher percent of screen time, at least, had some mindless violence and characters actually doing something [somewhat] interesting (yes, walking around in the woods was more interesting than a whole episode about emo-wardens).

Episode 3 was probably the "best" episode, where it had the potential to be a mediocre (yet watchable for a few seasons) fantasy show. Everything after that was down hill, with a small bump at the end.

Although that opinion may have been shaped by reading people post about all the waisted potential of the show, in this tread, skewing everything for the worse. It seems that the wider audience, that Amazon is looking at, does not feel the same.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
We heard you like canon, so we put some canon in your canon... and then took a shit on it, threw it out, and went with some random bullshit because fuck you nerds.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
100% Awful. My wife is tired of hearing me say what hot garbage this series is. Did Brandon Sanderson buy off on any of this shit or was he just ignored?

Age of Legends Tamyrlin telling Lews Therin that the Dark One would taint Saidin and the men would go mad and break the world as if any of them predicted that. Just another attempt to say Men awful, women amazing.

Agelmar dead, but only after telling his sister how he should have listened to her all along and asked for help, just to show what an awful man he is. Guess he won't be one of the Great Generals leading armies in the last battle.

Loial dead

Moiraine stilled

Nyneave dead but resurrected by Egwene. Good money is on Nynaeve healing Moiraine's ability to touch the power, even though in the book she figured that out like 9 books later and I think only men could un-still women and women could un-gentle men. When women un-stilled women, they had only a fraction of their original power. When Nynaeve un-gentled Logain, he was full power iirc. Nynaeve will probably solo cleanse the Taint as well in S2 E1 so they can bring Rand back from his solo walkabout in the blight.

Stupidly simple fight between Rand and Ishamael. Channeling power into the Sa'angreal for a big burst instead of drawing power through the Sa'angreal to increase his own potency.

Padan fain running off with the horn. Maybe that happened but I don't think so. I was waiting to see if they made Perrin blow the horn, since Mat wasn't there.

Seanchan showing up in their ships 10 feet apart in the turbulent waters just off shore but perfectly immobile, only to raise a massive tidal wave to what...clean the cliffs or kill the lone 6 year old girl collecting shells? What was the point of the tidal wave?

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users