Which MOBA?

If you were going to sink time in from nothing and get good which one is most worth the time.

• Total voters

Cybsled

It still has development going on, although resources arent what they used to be. The esports push is the primary thing they killed.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Didn't HOTS abandon all development?
No. There used to be a patch every 2-3 weeks now it's a patch every 4-6 weeks which includes new champion releases. It's definitely not just a maintenance team.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dota has both the lowest floor and highest ceiling for fun factor, frustration, satisfaction, and player behavior. It is 100% free and fully featured right out of the box. You get every hero and the only money you will spend is optional cosmetics.

HoTS is a game made for babies. It is the Pokemon and Minecraft of MOBA's. Oh, and micro transactions galore.

League if you love weeb shit and much more casual gameplay. Oh yeah, and get your wallet ready if you want to play all the champions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
HoTS is without question the best of the moba's. It gets you into the action quicker and the feel of the characters is very smooth, more so than any other moba except maybe league. While the pro scene was nixed from HoTS there is still a very competitive player base and is still just as skill based as any other moba regardless of the bs calling it "casual". The fact is that the skill ceilings on moba's are inherently infinite so there is no such thing as a casual moba. They're only as casual you want them to be. There is no stupid ass laning phase where you have to last hit minions for 15 minutes before you get strong enough to actually be able to play the game. In HoTS games typically last around 20 minutes and there's no getting stuck in ridiculous 60+ minute games. Idk, I've played them all and HoTS is definitely the best.

The most common negative that is brought up about it is that you "can't get fed and carry a game". This is mostly false. While you can't carry as hard as you could in other moba's if you get fed out of your mind, a single player absolutely can carry a game very hard. However, it is definitely the most team oriented of the moba's and there is a significant emphasis on team fighting and fighting over objectives.

Also, the best part of HoTS is that there's like a dozen different maps that are mostly all very well designed which keeps the game feeling very fresh. No repeating the same exact map 10000x over and over.
This. I shouldn't have to feel like I need to go through a 15 minute "chore" phase before each and every fucking game. The whole "laning" phases of DotA and LoL really kill them for me in comparison to HotS. And while you can't do ridiculous shit like 1v4 in HotS (for the most part) like you can in League, you can still carry pretty fucking hard if you're good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I would pick HoTS or Dota2. LOL is middle ground that doesnt give you the immediate action HoTS, nor the satisfaction of Dota2 when you actually get good.

I actually avoided a lot of toxicity in Dota2 by playing Single Draft. Chances are you aren't playing a hero you are good with, but neither is anyone else, so everyone is more chill.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Dota has both the lowest floor and highest ceiling for fun factor, frustration, satisfaction, and player behavior. It is 100% free and fully featured right out of the box. You get every hero and the only money you will spend is optional cosmetics.

HoTS is a game made for babies. It is the Pokemon and Minecraft of MOBA's. Oh, and micro transactions galore.

League if you love weeb shit and much more casual gameplay. Oh yeah, and get your wallet ready if you want to play all the champions.
Dota is a game with lag built in as a "feature" rofl. It's the most dog shit moba by far. That's why it's completely free because if it weren't it wouldn't have half the player base.

nu_11

Dota is a game with lag built in as a "feature" rofl. It's the most dog shit moba by far. That's why it's completely free because if it weren't it wouldn't have half the player base.
It's not lag. It has momentum-based gameplay mechanics in a similar way that the little known but award-winning SoulsBorne series has them.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
It's not lag. It has momentum-based gameplay mechanics in a similar way that the little known but award-winning SoulsBorne series has them.
I know but it feels clunky and isn't fluid at all. HoTS movements are so much smoother.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Oh no characters turn/move at different rates and can’t 360 attack omg the horror!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
HotS is a bad game, each map has a gimmick you have interrupt your gameplay to sort out. They also stopped development for it, so why play?

LoL and DotA are the same game? What's the actual difference? LoL has far more updates and players with other games connected to it, so go for that. Valve are fat on Steam money, I wouldn't trust them with anything.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Sounds like DoTA 2 is the worst community, more information required.

I've done a fair bit of playing DOTA, and watching videos on how to play DOTA.

Here's the thing. Everything is metagaming when it comes to DOTA. From initiating encounters (which I call just plain, straight out ganking), to hitting your own mobs to gain denies. At least it seems that way.

Also this :

Essentially, play a lot or play not at all if you want to enjoy DoTA.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
The argument that DOTA is too hard to learn, so go play LoL is so dumb I can't... People said this 5 years ago, and they're still playing LoL and they still hate themselves and they still go to bed with a gun under their pillow every night. They could have become DOTA masters by now.

Don't be a mistake. Play DOTA.

• 2Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
The posts don't all seem to address the question in the poll. What game is the most fun or best isn't really what it asks.

I mean you are going to most likely hate playing DoTA2 until you have hundreds (thousands) of hours playing and learning/watching. So I mean if that's what you are looking for while you last hit mobs and get flamed then sure it's great.

It would also probably be the most rewarding when said massive timesink and hating everything is "done", which is what the poll asks.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The posts don't all seem to address the question in the poll. What game is the most fun or best isn't really what it asks.

I mean you are going to most likely hate playing DoTA2 until you have hundreds (thousands) of hours playing and learning/watching. So I mean if that's what you are looking for while you last hit mobs and get flamed then sure it's great.

It would also probably be the most rewarding when said massive timesink and hating everything is "done", which is what the poll asks.
I like you.

• 1Worf

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I put my toe in DOTA2 last night, the UI and how to use the mule feels bad, I bought an item while out of town but couldn’t get my courier to move and deliver it, couldn’t find where the item went either.
This is after I did the first training vids, maybe my inventory was full, but no feedback on that.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I put my toe in DOTA2 last night, the UI and how to use the mule feels bad, I bought an item while out of town but couldn’t get my courier to move and deliver it, couldn’t find where the item went either.
This is after I did the first training vids, maybe my inventory was full, but no feedback on that.
Basically from what I understand, DotA and LoL are exactly the same game, but DotA has some tedious shit in it like that and last hitting your own units... which DotA players wank themselves off over because it's "skill".

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
HotS is a bad game, each map has a gimmick you have interrupt your gameplay to sort out. They also stopped development for it, so why play?

LoL and DotA are the same game? What's the actual difference? LoL has far more updates and players with other games connected to it, so go for that. Valve are fat on Steam money, I wouldn't trust them with anything.
Interrupt your gameplay? That IS the gameplay you god damn idiot lol. Each map has a vastly different objective and they only last a few minutes each time they happen so wtf are you talking about? God damn the shit you say is unbelievably stupid.

Cybsled

Basically from what I understand, DotA and LoL are exactly the same game, but DotA has some tedious shit in it like that and last hitting your own units... which DotA players wank themselves off over because it's "skill".

Denying units is one element but also

1) Abilities in dota are more impactful and aren’t spammed in most cases
2) items in dota aren’t just stat sticks - they can add completely new abilities and change the way a hero plays
3) there isn’t as forced a meta as lol in dota
4) comebacks are more doable in dota

• 1Like