Who died? (Celebrity Deaths)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's not that you can't find stories to tell. It's that the nostalgia the original show ran on is missing.
there is no iconic music or a musical trend in th early 2000s, unless you want to count autotune. movies, you got LOTR trilogy, Matrix trilogy, Harry Potter saga, Spiderman triogy and Star Wars prequel trilogy. 20 years ago sucked . i wasnt even in EQ anymore in 2004.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
00s had plenty of great music, you're just too old to have had much attachment to it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
00s had plenty of great music, you're just too old to have had much attachment to it.

The music is fine. It's just not an era that had The Rolling Stones or The Beatles or Bob Dylan. Boomer music still gets stuffed in to media just all the fucking time because it's so iconic.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The music is fine. It's just not an era that had The Rolling Stones or The Beatles or Bob Dylan. Boomer music still gets stuffed in to media just all the fucking time because it's so iconic.
This isn't the first time I've thought "Is the Woody Allen or Quentin Tarantino of the future going to put Nickelback in his movies?".

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This isn't the first time I've thought "Is the Woody Allen or Quentin Tarantino of the future going to put Nickelback in his movies?".

The latest Indiana Jones movie used Sympathy for the Devil even though it didn't make any fucking sense so probably not.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's not that you can't find stories to tell. It's that the nostalgia the original show ran on is missing.

Yeah,

The problem with your hypothesis is that it acts like the late 60s and early 70s were some kind of.... Wonder years or something, when in reality it was a period of social upheaval, high gas prices etc

The series is set from the perspective of a child who only has a child's knowledge of the larger world and how it impacts him. It's that childhood nostalgia that any remake would capitalise on - not the nostalgia or lack of it that a forum full of washed up eq wannabe boomers have. So any remake would be what it's like to be a pre teen in 2004

We all have childhood nostalgia, fuck I must watch transformers the movie and top gun 3-4x a year each, and I have very little concept of what life was actually like in the 80s outside of my childhood bubble. Despite living in a deprived part of the country that had race related riots the year I was born and a council that was taken over by the hard left calling themselves "militant"

So sure, any series would also need to reference such era defining events but the actual nostalgia is still mostly aimed at 30 year olds who were ten then

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Yeah,

The problem with your hypothesis is that it acts like the late 60s and early 70s were some kind of.... Wonder years or something, when in reality it was a period of social upheaval, high gas prices etc

The series is set from the perspective of a child who only has a child's knowledge of the larger world and how it impacts him. It's that childhood nostalgia that any remake would capitalise on - not the nostalgia or lack of it that a forum full of washed up eq wannabe boomers have. So any remake would be what it's like to be a pre teen in 2004

I just think Boomers are more nostalgic about the 1960s and 1970s than Gen X and the older Millennials are about the 2000s. That's it. Boomers loved The Wonder Years. It opens up with Joe Cocker doing his version of With a Little Help From My Friends which he also performed at Woodstock. We set our Woodstock on fire. We took everything and made a big pile and lit it on fire. I don't even think you could do a reboot in a manner as earnest as the original without it immediately coming off as sarcastic or some kind of parody.

The new Wonder Years that's got an all black cast decided to set itself in the 1960s.

17fa5b25-c981-4c35-84ac-0e839db1e090_text.gif

Old hippies love their shit.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I just think Boomers are more nostalgic about the 1960s and 1970s than Gen X and the older Millennials are about the 2000s.

Set in 1999 with nostalgia for getting online first time via AOL discs, phasing in of DVD over VHS during trips to Blockbuster video, portable CD players etc. The main dramatic shadow of season 1 is the Y2K bug. Before that you have a reference to the Columbine shooting and subsequently kids at school that adopt the trench coat mafia look.

As the series moves into the early 00s then it leads into the "where were you on 9/11 nostalgia"

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Set in 1999 with nostalgia for getting online first time via AOL discs, phasing in of DVD over VHS during trips to Blockbuster video, portable CD players etc. The main dramatic shadow of season 1 is the Y2K bug. Before that you have a reference to the Columbine shooting and subsequently kids at school that adopt the trench coat mafia look.

As the series moves into the early 00s then it leads into the "where were you on 9/11 nostalgia"

Sure, you can tell stories in that time frame. I continue to state that boomers are far more nostalgic than their Gen X and Millennial equivalents. Boomers love their shit and have since forever.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've noticed that I'm getting more and more nostalgic for the 80s. The best music, the best sports, the best sense of unity as a nation since then, good shows and movies, the start of technology so we had video/arcade games and computers and shit but no internet, no cell phone, etc. Hair was big, girls were hot, but not fucking whores yet. I'd put the 80s up against any other decade. Sure, I'm biased because I lived it and my teenage years were there, but I still think it would be the best.

• 7Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've noticed that I'm getting more and more nostalgic for the 80s. The best music, the best sports, the best sense of unity as a nation since then, good shows and movies, the start of technology so we had video/arcade games and computers and shit but no internet, no cell phone, etc. Hair was big, girls were hot, but not fucking whores yet. I'd put the 80s up against any other decade. Sure, I'm biased because I lived it and my teenage years were there, but I still think it would be the best.
I've made a handful of posts about it, but I'm really starting to believe the Telecommunications Act in 1996 is why we're so nostalgic. Because it allowed all the media companies to consolidate, it got rid of all of the risk and made everything the same. New music sucks because the record and radio stations became mega corps. Hollywood did the same.

And you can really point to everything that came after that as lesser.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I've made a handful of posts about it, but I'm really starting to believe the Telecommunications Act in 1996 is why we're so nostalgic. Because it allowed all the media companies to consolidate, it got rid of all of the risk and made everything the same. New music sucks because the record and radio stations became mega corps. Hollywood did the same.

And you can really point to everything that came after that as lesser.
thats true, but for whatever reason 2008-2010 or there abouts was an incredible time for music. Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lady Antebellum, Beyonce, Princess Taytay and Miley Cyrus all were killing it. before and after that they were trash, but at that moment they had achieved their best.

• 5Seriously?
  • 2Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 9 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Brian Mulroney was a great Prime Minister. I know that's not a popular opinion, but he improved the economy and the military in a real way.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i know liking those chick bands makes my man card null and void. frankly i dont care. Lady Gaga's first album and those other broads first albums were pretty tight. they are all shitty now. cant believe how pathetic Gaga got, Adebisi doesnt even mention her anymore and i dont blame him.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Lady Gaga did just take over the world and then disappear. The only person who was a big star for a shorter time was Lorde.

The best thing about the 00's musically was Audioslave's first album. They took all the best shit from grunge and refined it. The worst thing was Limp Bizkit, even though they technically came out in the late 90's.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
The aughts were eh for rock, largely because Gaga and the dance poppers killed it in the mainstream, but there was a fuckton of good metal, especially prog and post. Dream Theater (although they started in the 90s), The Ocean, Cynic, Dillinger, Russian Circles, Mastodon, Cult of Luna, Pelican, I could go on.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty