• 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Legendary pilot, educator and adventurer Dick Rutan died Friday, according to a press release issued on behalf of the family. (Full text follows). He was 85. Rutan, best known for the record-setting nonstop unrefueled circumnavigation he and Jeana Yeager accomplished in 1986, was surrounded by family when he died in Kootenai Hospital in Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho, in the early evening from complications resulting from a yearlong bout with long COVID, according to family friends.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I used to ask my grandfather about it when I was younger, but he only would talk about funny stories (like the time some natives scammed them out of their salt rations) or stories about close calls mostly. Like he mentioned the camo netting the Japanese used had a really distinct smell, so when he was on scouting/recon, he and the other guys had to pretend they weren’t aware it was there until they were clear of the area.
My grandfather was in WWII as well, but he never really talked about it at all. I only know that he used to call anyone that had a slightly difficult name to remember "Mike". He also called my grandmother Mike. I don't think I ever heard him say her name (Edith).

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
My grandfather was in WWII as well, but he never really talked about it at all. I only know that he used to call anyone that had a slightly difficult name to remember "Mike". He also called my grandmother Mike. I don't think I ever heard him say her name (Edith).
My grandfather was in WW2 also, as an infantryman in the Army. I personally only ever heard him reference it in the most simple ways. I.E. maybe something like “I was in that city in Belgium,” or what have you.

As an adult, were he still alive, I would point blank ask him more questions. He died when I was around 23 years old, and I wasn’t super close to him, despite seeing him regularly. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to talk to him more as a grown up.

So, when he died, my dad and his brother - both of them being super close to my grandfather and doing things with him all the time, my dad told his older brother that “dad never told me that much about WW2.”

My uncle told me and my dad that my grandfather had went into some detail with him about WW2 on a handful of occasions. In short, he said it was really awful, he killed people, and he alluded to the fact he shot children, almost assuredly of course Hitler Youth, who were being put on the front lines near the end of the war.

My grandfather entered the war early, which I think they all went to Scotland first, he broke his back, came back for a couple of years to heal, got better, and went BACK for the last year of the war. He ended up in the Battle of the Bulge which from my limited knowledge of WW2 was one of the nastier battles and I believe where my uncle said he saw some of the worst things of the war.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My grandpa was a medic in WW2. That's literally all I know, because like others he never talked about it. I can't imagine that was very much fun. I often wonder if that contributed to him being a raging alcoholic through much of his life, but I suppose plenty of people become alcoholics for no reason at all, so who knows.

• 1Like