Wii U and 3DS jailbreak

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have not tried Wii eShop games at all yet, but I *think* they work as long as you install them to the 32GB internal storage and not to the external HD. And you need the Wii nunchuk controller (with MotionPlus for Skyward Sword in partcular). I was interested in SS too until I read the part about the controller, which I don't have, so my Wii research kind of ended there.

spronk spronk might know more.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I've gone through the Wii U guide but have an issue - I have Haxchi and the Homebrew Launcher Channel installed, but cannot run the HLC from the Wii U menu - it black screens and I have to restart. I can run it by pressing A while booting Haxchi, however. Not sure if I should proceed without resolving that.

spronk

FPS noob
I've gone through the Wii U guide but have an issue - I have Haxchi and the Homebrew Launcher Channel installed, but cannot run the HLC from the Wii U menu - it black screens and I have to restart. I can run it by pressing A while booting Haxchi, however. Not sure if I should proceed without resolving that.

did you install the coldboot haxchi? If you didn't go through step 5, then every time you start your wii u you have to run haxchi to "enable" the jailbreak. If you do step 5 you can run the Homebrew Launcher from a cold wii u boot, if you don't do step 5 you have to run haxchi as the first thing you do every time. Haxchi must also be on your SD card and not your USB drive.

re: skyward sword,
Many of the most popular Wii games already have Wii U emu ports, so you don't need to run vWii (the wii emulator), you can just download Skyward Sword from within uTikDownloadHelper and install it as a straight up Wii U game, even though its wrapped with a wii emulator. It shows up as red inside uTik but that just means it requires CFW to be installed, but its installed and runs just like any regular wii u game and can be copied to the USB drive.

actual Wii only games (you can't get them from the eshop) require the vWii method of install to the SD card and are more complicated (redNAND can't be active) but I don't really know much about it since I haven't bothered, most of the really popular Wii games got Wii U eshop ports.

I'm surprised nintendo released a patch on 3DS to block the hacks, I guess they sorta still care. Been 10 months since the last wii u firmware update, lol. Anyways if you do the hack before you do the system update you should be safe, since there are mods that let you "fake" your current system version even if it becomes impossible to mod the latest firmware, you'd still be able to play online games using a fake version patch. Not that there really is much online game play on a 3DS anyways.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

There was some talk about Wii eShop games on reddit and people having issues when installing the games to a HD. Something about the Wii emu that it loads doing weird things and causing a crash, but they got it to work by using the internal storage. Just something to keep in mind if you do try to install Wii games to the HD and anything goes wrong.

Edit: Weird Wii eshop game behavior • /r/WiiUHacks

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm surprised nintendo released a patch on 3DS to block the hacks, I guess they sorta still care.
Disabling of the hack may just be incidental, though. The updates may have been for other reasons.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
did you install the coldboot haxchi? If you didn't go through step 5, then every time you start your wii u you have to run haxchi to "enable" the jailbreak. If you do step 5 you can run the Homebrew Launcher from a cold wii u boot, if you don't do step 5 you have to run haxchi as the first thing you do every time. Haxchi must also be on your SD card and not your USB drive.

No, haven't installed coldboot Haxchi, but did run Haxchi from the menu screen first, let it boot and then take me back to the Wii U menu, then tried to run HLC, no dice. Am I misunderstanding the install directions? May need to double check my directories.

Vorph

Does Mocha CFW load (there's a splash screen that is up for several seconds, you can't miss it) when you launch Haxchi? If not, I'm thinking maybe you missed the config.txt swap in Step 4.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
I've only gone through step 3, and did the config swap for that. Was going to move on to step 4 but the channel not working after running Haxchi concerned me - maybe I should uninstall and redo the HaxchiFW install.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
re: skyward sword,
Many of the most popular Wii games already have Wii U emu ports, so you don't need to run vWii (the wii emulator), you can just download Skyward Sword from within uTikDownloadHelper and install it as a straight up Wii U game, even though its wrapped with a wii emulator. It shows up as red inside uTik but that just means it requires CFW to be installed, but its installed and runs just like any regular wii u game and can be copied to the USB drive.

actual Wii only games (you can't get them from the eshop) require the vWii method of install to the SD card and are more complicated (redNAND can't be active) but I don't really know much about it since I haven't bothered, most of the really popular Wii games got Wii U eshop ports.

Have you actually gotten any Wii games to run yourself? I have 5 that I downloaded, including Skyward Sword, through the tik downloader and they all freeze at the title screen and then reboot my system. I've tried it on both the USB drive and on the console memory and it's the same.

spronk

FPS noob
Have you actually gotten any Wii games to run yourself? I have 5 that I downloaded, including Skyward Sword, through the tik downloader and they all freeze at the title screen and then reboot my system. I've tried it on both the USB drive and on the console memory and it's the same.

I just downloaded A Link to The Past and Skyward Sword (4 gigs) and installed them via SD card / WUP. ALTP works just fine, it runs in that funky DS emulator. Skyward Sword tho wasn't so good either, it starts up and shows the blue SS logo for ~15 seconds, then reboots the Wii U and I am at the Coldboot load menu (I don't have autostart on so I can choose CFW/regular every reboot). If I choose vWii mode it starts in Wii mode and is super slow, like 15 secs black screen then a Wii screen on the gamepad. Then i'm kinda stuck, I'm at the wii main menu but I don't have a motion controller or IR bar setup at the moment and apparently the gamepad cannot be used at all in wii mode.

So I assume if you are getting just a black screen somehow vWii mode isn't starting up correctly, maybe config.txt isn't setup correctly for Mocha since clearly mocha has to reboot to start in vWii mode to start the game.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'm having some issues with the jailbreak. On the first attempt at running the exploit, I was getting an error: SDMOUNT FAILED. After some research and using the 3rd party format app, I got the homebrew launcher to load. Then I got to the step where you have to buy a Virtual Console game. I got Brain Age and restarted with the SD card in and now when trying to get to the homebrew launcher again, I get a new error: "fsgetmountsource failed". Tried to reformat the SD card several times with no luck. Researching that error seems to indicate that nobody is really sure what causes it, but I see tons of threads about it. I did a slow/full format of the SD card(it's 128gb) and went to bed. Will try again tonight.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
I've got Haxchi with Mocha CFW running (not coldboot) - so, when I first boot the console I'll see the sysNAND folder I created as I've booted from system memory, but when I run Haxchi it reboots me from the NAND on my SD card and I do not have the sysNAND folder and am running MochaCFW. Am I doing it right?

Downloaded a few titles via the Brazilian method - will see if they work today.

Vorph

I'm having some issues with the jailbreak. On the first attempt at running the exploit, I was getting an error: SDMOUNT FAILED. After some research and using the 3rd party format app, I got the homebrew launcher to load. Then I got to the step where you have to buy a Virtual Console game. I got Brain Age and restarted with the SD card in and now when trying to get to the homebrew launcher again, I get a new error: "fsgetmountsource failed". Tried to reformat the SD card several times with no luck. Researching that error seems to indicate that nobody is really sure what causes it, but I see tons of threads about it. I did a slow/full format of the SD card(it's 128gb) and went to bed. Will try again tonight.
Did you try changing the cluster size? 64kB worked for me, but the guide says that some people need to use 32kB clusters for it to work. And you used fat32format to do it?

Am I doing it right?
Yeah, the sysNAND folder is just there to tell you that you aren't in redNAND and need to run Haxchi. You're fine. I recommend doing the step where you delete the internet settings from the sysNAND to ensure you don't get a firmware update, unless you've taken care of that elsewhere. There's probably going to be one coming along with the release of Zelda.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the confirmation! I did delete the internet settings on sysNAND, but my Wii U internet is wired - I do have the auto obtain DNS off and two of the recommended DNS plugged in.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Did you try changing the cluster size? 64kB worked for me, but the guide says that some people need to use 32kB clusters for it to work. And you used fat32format to do it?

Yeah, I used fat32format and it worked. It suddenly stopped working after I got the VC game bought/installed and tried to launch the homebrew launcher a second time. Did you have to do a full format or did fast format work fine for you?

Vorph

I just did a 64kB fast format. It was brand new so I didn't see any need to full format it.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, mine was brand new as well. Something went fucky. Will try again tonight.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I got the fsformat failure too when I first tried it with my default SD card format, I then did the sysformat (which was a pain in the ass to get going under w10) and it didn't work with the first cluster size I tried, 32k I think, and then started working with 64k. I always did a quick format though, never did a full format, but always used the GUI tool the guide linked, not the command line tool.

once I got the haxchi loader running (I also used brain age) I did NOT have to reformat cards or anything like that though.

Vorph

So does everyone get like 450-500kB/s when downloading 3DS games from freeShop? I'm currently re-downloading SMT IV so that I can add the DLC to it (mixing legit eShop games with freeShop DLC is bad I guess) and it's going to take ~90 min for 1.7GB.

Wii U games come down at like 5MB/s, which is apparently throttled because if I download 6-7 games at once they all download at that speed.

Prodigal

<Bronze Donator>
That's about what I was getting from the QR scan downloads for my 3DS, which I'm guessing download from the eShop (?)

Confirmed the downloaded games work on my Wii U, had to figure out the folder structure for the WUP installer, can see what you guys mean by tedious - 3DS is much simpler (albeit slow downloading).