Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I feel like if you were partof the AQ gates you'd remember :p But since you're on Thrall I suppose you could've been in Ascent and the name is familiar? /shrug
Anyway, it was Medivh, and first C'thun was kind of irrelevent since it died a billion times the day they fixed it.
I was in Ascent on Medivh and i left to Jugg on Doomhammer prior to Ascent going to Thrall - I quit WoW in TBC bc i hated it
tongue.png

I was the rogue Forsakyn - i pvped pretty religiously on horde, was first hwl rogue - I hated everything involving opening AQ gate since we raided like 8 hours a day and had dragon calls going out all during it. That plus work and pvp, than god WoW is not half as fun now as it was then.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
First Chtun was euro anyway, since they patched euro first back then, which created a lot of "waahhh we got robbed of the world first" drama shit, even though there were so many guilds just waiting for it to be nerfed to kill it.

As for decursive, my googlefu says it was nerfed during the AQ40 patch, naxx was released after it had been fixed, thought it was during BWL but seems I was wrong(well technically it was removed when BWL was still the only raid since AQ40 took a while to open). They even made remove curses not work on targets without curses for Naxx, so it was easier to decurse. The fact you were only getting 20curses per cast is because it was removed, before that the entire raid would get cursed regardless.

Since this is the wildstar thread anyway, did anyone see like some census of classes played and shit? I'm trying to figure out what to play, I kinda like stalker and esper but I wouldn't mind playing any of the other 2 healers, think there's gonna be a shortage of a specific healer class or one that will be needed more than the others in terms of how many you bring to raids?

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
First Chtun was euro anyway, since they patched euro first back then, which created a lot of "waahhh we got robbed of the world first" drama shit, even though there were so many guilds just waiting for it to be nerfed to kill it.

As for decursive, my googlefu says it was nerfed during the AQ40 patch, naxx was released after it had been fixed, thought it was during BWL but seems I was wrong(well technically it was removed when BWL was still the only raid since AQ40 took a while to open). They even made remove curses not work on targets without curses for Naxx, so it was easier to decurse. The fact you were only getting 20curses per cast is because it was removed, before that the entire raid would get cursed regardless.

Since this is the wildstar thread anyway, did anyone see like some census of classes played and shit? I'm trying to figure out what to play, I kinda like stalker and esper but I wouldn't mind playing any of the other 2 healers, think there's gonna be a shortage of a specific healer class or one that will be needed more than the others in terms of how many you bring to raids?
Esper will be underplayed, but it's the go to tank healer imo. I like all healers to be honest, still not sold on a specific one for release.

Caliane

yeah, we were pissed about that haha. we had ouro, or whatever the worms name was down to 5% the day before. Called it a night, and were expecting to kill him the next day.
Patch hits. He and Cthun are turned into a joke. Everybody kills them. Skullcrasher had 10s+ ability lag from 7pm-1am. iirc we didnt even get the twins down that night.
Also, yeah decursive was patched pretty early in BWL iirc. Definitely long before huhuran.

Spellslinger will be over populated. Esp since they apparently have bad dps at 50 in pve. expect espers to be under populated due to the immobile base attack.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How does spellslinger end up being over populated if DPS is bad? You mean healing spellslingers? I didn't really like their innate anyway, shit's annoying to use, you turn it on off on off on off all the fucking time for only specific spells, it's clunky as all fuck. Originally it was charge based and powered the next skill only but then they changed it into a bar and it's a fuckton worse. Might be hybrid charge based now since the UI shows 4 thingies but I haven't played since so don't know.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
How does spellslinger end up being over populated if DPS is bad?
They Dual Wield Guns and wear cool-looking trench-coats. Their thematic is designed to appeal to people's inner 13-year-old. And for the bulk of the people who play a game; who never once check a forum or install a dps meter, that's what matters.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ahh C'thun.... My guild including all my rl friends who played save one and I were rather famously banned for wall hacking to avoid having to kill the trash to get to him. In retrospect while I did some TBC with foh after, it was the beginning of the end of my high end raiding days despite me not being involved. We all knew many devs played on BDF yet they did it anyways.

Funny thing is my once uber basement dwelling friend actually got a job in the industry in part because of the notoriety from that.

like for AQ40 there was this big drama because apparently chtun's room was connected to the entrance or some shit so if you edited out the stone that blocked the stairs you could skip everything to the end(it was just a model edit nothing special but by changing its shape the client accepted you walking through it since it wasn't a real solid block). It's just BWL was released before they added the PTR, no one had tested that shit.
Yep that was us.

I started raiding in wow late BWL personally, I don't really recall me or anyone else using any of these big macro and mods people have mentioned however. Surely nothing like an "auto healer". Using chain heal right required plenty of practice/ability/coordination, it was a huge step up from CH chains and EQ healing.

Column_sl

shitlord
The biggest problem I see with this game is casuals make about 99% of your playerbase. ( obvious exaggeration, but you get the point. It's a lot of motherfuckers.)

So if there is nothing to offer them at level cap except hardcore content they will leave in two months, and go back to WOW.
So thats a good chunk of your playerbase gone.

They haven't done anything to avoid this, and they are only catering to the lowest percentage of the player base.
Which is ideal in a world where there isn't any competition, but we don't live in 2005 anymore.

It's the unfortunate side product of MMO's today, and why I believe the genre is dead.

And let's talk about path of less resistance even with the hardcores. If the 40 man is too much of a pain in the ass you will see them quit as well. We've seen this in WOW all ready.
We are currently in an age of the 20 man mmo. For guilds to have to split there officers up to carry in two raid groups is going to take a good bit of coordination, and most guild's do not have good leadership.

I don't know anyone who even liked 40 mans in WOW. I'm not even sure why that number still exists.
EQ had more then 40, but those encounters weren't difficult so can't really cite that as a true raiding as exists today.

If I was Carbine I would dump the 40 man.

Xevy

Log Wizard
"So if there is nothing to offer them at level cap except hardcore content"

Because it exists for the 1% does not mean it is required for everyone. There's dungeons, vet dungeons, instanced pvp, and housing for fucking home-makers. There's plenty to do and once they start adding open world pvp objectives it should be gravy.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I've been nefariously talked into playing this. Which class tanks/pulls? I've been told the warrior is currently shit.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm 3 levels from the cap currently, and talking to players that have been playing awhile I believe you grossly over estimate what is really available for casual players.
PVP will be just like wow with a small population, and housing will not keep casual players when a lot of the better rewards link into hardcore raiding.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I can't see them doing that well with there current scheme especially when they have this much competition from multiple online games.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
There's dungeons, vet dungeons, instanced pvp, and housing for fucking home-makers. There's plenty to do and once they start adding open world pvp objectives it should be gravy.
That really only sounds like plenty to do if after 15 years of playing MMOs that offer these things you somehow are still interested in them. Housing notwithstanding since that's a secondary feature for most. I really like Wildstar's gameplay but the fact that the endgame is basically 'oh its WoW' makes me think this just can't be a longterm game for me. Obviously there are plenty of people who still think raids and dungeons are ALL U NEED, but trying to beat WoW at their own game doesn't seem any wiser in 2014 than it did in any other year.

Every time I log into this game I think 'man I wish Wildstar had Archeage's end-game, or Archeage had combat that was even 1/2 as good as Wildstar'. Then I just go back to giving up on MMOs. AFK until I can make a post whining about how The Division failed to live up.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Decursive absolutely worked in Naxx.
Finally Ending Decursive and Other Smart Mods?My googlefu I spent 2 seconds using, this is a thread when they announced the ui 2.0 changes, and people bitching about now having to do Noth and Sapphiron without the mod.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
That really only sounds like plenty to do if after 15 years of playing MMOs that offer these things you somehow are still interested in them. Housing notwithstanding since that's a secondary feature for most. I really like Wildstar's gameplay but the fact that the endgame is basically 'oh its WoW' makes me think this just can't be a longterm game for me. Obviously there are plenty of people who still think raids and dungeons are ALL U NEED, but trying to beat WoW at their own game doesn't seem any wiser in 2014 than it did in any other year.

Every time I log into this game I think 'man I wish Wildstar had Archeage's end-game, or Archeage had combat that was even 1/2 as good as Wildstar'. Then I just go back to giving up on MMOs. AFK until I can make a post whining about how The Division failed to live up.
My plan is to max a char or two, do all dungeons and possibily all raids. I'm quite sure the summer entertainment is covered, then we'll see. I'm not one to torn my clothes off in desperation if a game stops being fun for whatever reason.

Sancus

Trakanon Raider
My plan is to max a char or two, do all dungeons and possibily all raids. I'm quite sure the summer entertainment is covered, then we'll see. I'm not one to torn my clothes off in desperation if a game stops being fun for whatever reason.
Yeah I mean my post was somewhat intentional hyperbole
tongue.png
I'll probably level in Wildstar and do some dungeons, it feels like it's worth the $60 purchase, but I don't see myself subscribing long term. I'm sure patch improvements could change that, but I'm always inherently skeptical of the experience in a game that holds up raids as the ultimate pve experience. Everything else just ends up feeling like a consolation prize, and all of it(both raids and dungeons) tends to have an extremely poor time:fun ratio.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah I mean my post was somewhat intentional hyperbole
tongue.png
I'll probably level in Wildstar and do some dungeons, it feels like it's worth the $60 purchase, but I don't see myself subscribing long term. I'm sure patch improvements could change that, but I'm always inherently skeptical of the experience in a game that holds up raids as the ultimate pve experience. Everything else just ends up feeling like a consolation prize, and all of it(both raids and dungeons) tends to have an extremely poor time:fun ratio.
Well I think somewhere they mentioned adding open-world pvp objectives. Hopefully they can get them out and they won't be the abortion that was Illium in SWTOR. That would hold a lot of pvp-oriented people. For PVE endgame if you can't raid and don't like dungeons... I'm not sure at options you have in any game.