Will Wight

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Hmm I stated the house of blades as it was a trilogy and all 3 were free. Did I screw up and need to change books? You guys are obviously talking about a different book.
This thread has mostly been about his Cradle series which is 12 books, the final book just came out a few days ago.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I stated the house of blades as it was a trilogy and all 3 were free. Did I screw up and need to change books? You guys are obviously talking about a different book.

Nope, stick with it! Yeah as Jox says we're mostly discussing Cradle. So be careful for spoilers :)

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
OK thanks. By the time I get caught up with you all I'll have forgotten any spoilers anyhow. Some days it's a good thing my head is attached.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I agree on the comments on the last book, overall a good ending but I do think it was all a bit rushed. Wouldn’t have been upset if he had split it into two books and slowed it down a little. Also, we didn’t get to see what happened to a certain character that ascended and I really wanted to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I agree on the comments on the last book, overall a good ending but I do think it was all a bit rushed. Wouldn’t have been upset if he had split it into two books and slowed it down a little. Also, we didn’t get to see what happened to a certain character that ascended and I really wanted to.

Yeah that was odd to me too.

Other slight disappointment:

Reigan Shen was just sort of sidelined and reduced to not doing much. At least it felt like that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I read his House of Blades trilogy this weekend. Not bad but definitely weak compared to Cradle. It was very very rushed and partly nonsensical. It is interesting to see his kind of prototype characters as Kai was absolutely an early model of Ethan lol.

The Enosh still fighting to release the incarnations even after the first one who was nothing but an whirlwind of death and destruction legitimately made no sense. Blah blah you sacrifice (9 innocent people a year) in order to keep 10 forces of nature contained. The first escaped one killed thousands of people in like two weeks. All of whom embody things like endless storms, fire, etc and would destroy everything they came in contact with even if they didn't intend to.

WW actually made a a compelling case for the Ragnarus because their powers weren't really suited for containment but it was all they had. Since the original sorcerers with special magic for containment were all dead they made the best of the situation but were turned into enemies for it anyway by the Enosh. Who were just retards.
[/trailer]

velk

Trakanon Raider
Waybound was a bit of a disappointment for me - there was nothing wrong with it, but it was very workmanlike, kind of felt a bit like filling out a checklist of things to resolve before ending the series, not much of any surprise there.

The timelines for the Abidan don't really make any sense too - they have been recruiting immortal people from the beginning of time, and they go with 'Hi, newly ascended person, you are clearly more qualified than people with 20 billion years more experience than you, want to join an elite team ?'

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Diablo 4 was eating up my time, so didn't get a chance to read Waybound until the last couple days.

When in the living hell did Lindon steal on those treasures? I mean fucks sake. Dude just robbed everyone of everything?

TWO Dreadgods and a Monarch at the same time? That was HUUUUGE power spike I didn't expect.

Fuck what happened to Shen, what happened to Northstrider?

They really could have made this two books. Should have really. It was rushed, and it felt like it. Not a bad ending though. Wanted more Ethan though.

He has to continue this universe with these characters.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Diablo 4 was eating up my time, so didn't get a chance to read Waybound until the last couple days.

When in the living hell did Lindon steal on those treasures? I mean fucks sake. Dude just robbed everyone of everything?

TWO Dreadgods and a Monarch at the same time? That was HUUUUGE power spike I didn't expect.

They really could have made this two books. Should have really. It was rushed, and it felt like it. Not a bad ending though. Wanted more Ethan though.

Yeah definitely needed another book imo so that the power spike wasn’t so fast. The end of the previous book was where they stole all of the monarch treasures iirc. He used the void icon to hide the fate readings and they all went on little heists.

I also remember hearing that he was going to make a Reaper series that id imagine include them even if they aren’t the sole focus anymore. To be honest, I think it’s a bad idea, I never particularly enjoyed the way the fights went at the Abidan level.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I like the fighting stuff (the actual descriptions of combat) much less than the character stuff so this one wasn't my favorite. It was like 2/3rds of the way before there was some character development that wasn't power level related but I did like the last third quite a bit.

At a time when I'm waiting the final two books to conclude Game of Thrones, the concluding Name of the Wind, something from The Laundry that isn't a dreadful spinoff or novella side-story while hoping the Dresden Files doesn't shit itself getting a solid conclusion to a twelve book series feels special. I also demolished this in two days when the previous thing I read before this took me two weeks. And I'd say I liked it. Hard to convincingly declare something "alright" when you're shoving it in to your face with both hands as fast as possible.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
In case you've missed the announce: book 4-5-6 of Cradle will open up on Kickstarter "today" at 12pm Eastern (according the Lesser Wight brother):

In theory, you should be able to purchase the kickstarter-only versions of 1-3 if you missed them the last time, but these shouldn't be signed-numbered, unlike those back then.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
In case you've missed the announce: book 4-5-6 of Cradle will open up on Kickstarter "today" at 12pm Eastern (according the Lesser Wight brother):
3 hours later, the numbered edition is already at 4775/7000 maximum...

Nice part (with of course a fee): you can get matching numbers!!!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man that’s awesome. I was just thinking about this last night when I was doing some Demco dust jacket covers on my Malazan series.

I wonder with the matched number set if there’s a manual way to verify with them since I got mine off eBay, or if I need to contact the eBay seller first and see if they’ll back this one and sell to me or transfer rights to numbers.

Hmmm….

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I think it just goes back to the difficulty of writing Voltron content in a book that starts with cripple fights. Every long-lived progression fantasy series is going to have to deal with the same thing and either you just make equal power levels cancel each other out (Or you just ignore the power creep and have the characters basically doing the same thing, like Goku basically appearing the same since he went SS against Freiza) or it scales to the ridiculous. I appreciate that Will Wight was ambitious enough to let it scale to be ridiculous, but that makes it difficult to have multiple books over.

It's kinda like what I said after finishing book 11 last year.
Tuco said:
I like the ambition of the Voltron battles being unconstrained by conventional physics but it's dangerous ground for a progression fiction to tread. The interactions are so unconstrained that it bounces between sounding like two coppers fighting and random bullshit. Like, "Then she threw a rock at him and, and, every dude on a distant planet nutted in his pants. Then he threw a kick and a bunch of stars blew up. Then she called upon her ultimate power and the next chapter got deleted." Which is fine, I like ambitious writing and am enjoying the progression from mundane to metaphysical.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Kickstarter just ended at $1.1M, pretty crazy.

Looks like they’ll have a shop open on Monday for purchasing a few things for people that missed the pledge. Not sure what all that will include.

They also said that a survey will be sent out to provide your matched number from the 1st set; so hopefully it will be as easy as that. Wonder what happens if people have a conflict and claim the same number.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Nah it wasn’t that bad. Not great or anything, but honestly nothing that isn’t fixable going forward