World of Warcraft: Current Year

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
This has always been a problem with Blizzard and their "meaningful choices" since TBC and the Aldor/Scryers. You get to choose, but at that point you know nothing about the ramifications and the game doesn't explain it to you except for flavor text.

I think the fix probably is making at least semi frequent covenant switching available. I know they want to avoid that but I don't think they are going to be able to. The bulk of players it really does not matter too much to and won't really effect but it has some nasty impacts on the bleeding edge raiders.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Playing multiple specs was extremely difficult (I would argue impossible) at the beginning of BFA as well. Azerite was untradeable, and high level azerite was only obtainable in raids & your m+ chest (which usually didn't give you an azerite piece!!), so trying to gear out 1 spec was hard enough. A 2nd was impossible. They did fix the first issue somewhat quickly. It took them much longer to solve the 2nd issue, although titan residuum was eventually added. I was seriously considering making a 2nd monk due to how ridiculous it was.

So it's not that surprising to see them repeat that mistake. They don't do a very good job at considering alternate specs or even alternate characters, imo. BFA has never been alt friendly.

I honestly don't know what they are thinking with the covenant system. They are creating a system where you are locked into 1 covenant, and that is supposed to work for all of your specs, in all of the content (raiding, mythic+, PvP, solo play etc.)? That is simply an impossible system to balance. Why even attempt something so stupid?

They keep asking the people playing in Alpha to refrain from shitting all over them until everything has been revealed, but I simply can't imagine a world where everything is revealed and people are happy with the outcome. They are just setting themselves up for failure, and with a 2020 release date promised, they no longer have much time to fix it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They're hoping they create a system too complicated for the 10 remaining theorycrafters to crack, even if it means their own internal team has no fucking clue what the numbers are either.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
These are the same people who thought up azerite armor, an absolutely fucking retarded double rng.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Playing multiple specs was extremely difficult (I would argue impossible) at the beginning of BFA as well. Azerite was untradeable, and high level azerite was only obtainable in raids & your m+ chest (which usually didn't give you an azerite piece!!), so trying to gear out 1 spec was hard enough. A 2nd was impossible. They did fix the first issue somewhat quickly. It took them much longer to solve the 2nd issue, although titan residuum was eventually added. I was seriously considering making a 2nd monk due to how ridiculous it was.

So it's not that surprising to see them repeat that mistake. They don't do a very good job at considering alternate specs or even alternate characters, imo. BFA has never been alt friendly.

I honestly don't know what they are thinking with the covenant system. They are creating a system where you are locked into 1 covenant, and that is supposed to work for all of your specs, in all of the content (raiding, mythic+, PvP, solo play etc.)? That is simply an impossible system to balance. Why even attempt something so stupid?

They keep asking the people playing in Alpha to refrain from shitting all over them until everything has been revealed, but I simply can't imagine a world where everything is revealed and people are happy with the outcome. They are just setting themselves up for failure, and with a 2020 release date promised, they no longer have much time to fix it.
Legion was super unfriendly for the bulk of it to playing other specs. Your AP was locked to each specs specific weapon so getting your legendaries/AP/relics for multiple specs was annoying as fuck

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
They're hoping they create a system too complicated for the 10 remaining theorycrafters to crack, even if it means their own internal team has no fucking clue what the numbers are either.
This assumes their internal team had a clue to begin with.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to know which streamers you're talking about because I don't think any WoW BFA top 100 streamers saw their "viewership drops like a rock", especially since progress races and MDI got so popular.

Linking a metrics site that shows the viewership growth of streamers in the current month, as in.. right f'n now.. doesnt really equate to their viewership "dropping like a rock" back several months ago when Shadowlands wasnt the primary subject talked about. But sure, if you believe WoW streamers had growing viewership during that period of time - more power to you.

Daidraco

Legion was super unfriendly for the bulk of it to playing other specs. Your AP was locked to each specs specific weapon so getting your legendaries/AP/relics for multiple specs was annoying as fuck

But wasnt that mitigated mostly by diminishing returns? Where you could effectively get to a point with your main spec that spending a fraction of time with your secondary would at least put you within a couple levels of where your other primary weapon was? What would have been more player friendly is to have a maximum level you can get to with each weapon that week that would reasonably be within reach of most players.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it sounds like that Covenants are essentially a black box. If you pick one that's good for raid 1 (if you're a poopsocker) that does not at all mean it will be ideal for raid 2. This is made worse by the abilities being substantial rather than worthless and not mattering.

Of course, they'll be a pain in the dick to change!

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Linking a metrics site that shows the viewership growth of streamers in the current month, as in.. right f'n now.. doesnt really equate to their viewership "dropping like a rock" back several months ago when Shadowlands wasnt the primary subject talked about. But sure, if you believe WoW streamers had growing viewership during that period of time - more power to you.

As opposed to now?

Daidraco

As opposed to now?
Yes, as opposed to now. Go pull a statue down or something, tf.
43512436.jpg

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
But wasnt that mitigated mostly by diminishing returns? Where you could effectively get to a point with your main spec that spending a fraction of time with your secondary would at least put you within a couple levels of where your other primary weapon was? What would have been more player friendly is to have a maximum level you can get to with each weapon that week that would reasonably be within reach of most players.
Eventually but I think people forget what a Custer fuck getting good relics and legendaries for a huge chunk of legion.

• 1Like

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Here's a video for anybody who thinks think these Bobby Kotick simps give any shit about balance, or having any fucking clue what they are doing

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
At this point I think they set up problems so they have something to fix later.
That must be some real 6D chess then, because in between they are losing a lot of subs and goodwill.

My personal theory is that they are trying to invent system after system to add to the game because a) they have to justify the price of the expansion, b) justify their salary to management and c) they want to do "something new and interesting", or else they feel like they have contributed nothing of worth. This is only made worse by adding those systems mid-expansion.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

The Wokest
<Prior Amod>
Which is why the 15 year old version of the game with all its flaws has more attention than the current one.

They have to let Ion go or it will never improve. They have to gut the system bloat out of retail. For fucks sake the game is such dogshit it can’t even process all the shit the devs have stuffed in without lagging to hell and back.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
We should take bets on when they will remove racial traits in WoW because it is a form of "biological race".