World of Warcraft: Current Year

Rime

<Donor>
A bunch of people resubbed with gold too that must surely count as subscribers right now, myself included. Had they not implemented that I wonder what the number is.

WoD really is shit though
WoW 'token' numbers are not included in this, as they were not implemented until Q2.

Either way, they count as a subscription.

DavivMcD

Peasant
BRF + Mythic = disaster. Really the whole raiding scheme is showing its age at this point. While individual encounters here and there may shine, the overall way raiding works has just been so stagnant. Where's the iteration upon vehicles, one-off special abilities, etc.
Yeah cuz those 2.9 million people ever saw BRF LFR at all, much less Mythic. Game's just old, it isn't any one thing.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What happened to all the raving of how good the expansion is? I'm having a blast, and I feel the new raid progression and ways to gear up is drastically improved from MoP. Mythic raids may not like the welfare epics, but seeing as I've been able to get to 650 ilvl, with only a couple boss kills outta normal BFR, and LFR, is pretty sweet.

In MoP, I was doing PVP and other things to try and artificially boost my ilvl to get into Flex, to maybe get into Normal. This is a much smoother system, and I've been having a ton of fun.

I suppose it's still early for me, as I've only been playing the new expansion for about 3-4 weeks, something like that. So maybe this is how everyone felt in those first month or so, and by January were starting to cancel because they were burned out.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I did PVP to artificially boost my ilvl up when i got back in WoD so that wasnt changed until recent really. It was really just the quicker method considering you could do Ashran and get epics fairly easy just chasing events. Now im 695 and the thought of doing Mythic isnt really interesting at all, perhaps if Mythic had an entirely "different" loot set that stood apart and not just marginally upgraded upon heroic then it would seem worth it but bleh.

I am not surprised that WoW subs have dropped, garrisons trivialized so much of what people would do outside of raids and outside of chasing herbs and ore the "farm" game is all but dead. I enjoyed farming in MoP just chasing rares etc, it was mind-numbing but something i could do from my desk at work.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
What happened to all the raving of how good the expansion is? ...I suppose it's still early for me, as I've only been playing the new expansion for about 3-4 weeks, something like that. So maybe this is how everyone felt in those first month or so, and by January were starting to cancel because they were burned out.
Expansion pack was real solid the first couple of months because dungeons were actually decently entertaining before raid gear, and garrisons had an appeal. Six months in, Mythic raid team has gone on break until 6.2, expansion is dragging badly now.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I did PVP to artificially boost my ilvl up when i got back in WoD so that wasnt changed until recent really. It was really just the quicker method considering you could do Ashran and get epics fairly easy just chasing events. Now im 695 and the thought of doing Mythic isnt really interesting at all, perhaps if Mythic had an entirely "different" loot set that stood apart and not just marginally upgraded upon heroic then it would seem worth it but bleh.
a new tier for mythic would be nice, but then people would cry.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Expansion pack was real solid the first couple of months because dungeons were actually decently entertaining before raid gear, and garrisons had an appeal. Six months in, Mythic raid team has gone on break until 6.2, expansion is dragging badly now.
So mythic 5 man dungeons, and new Garrison missions out of the shipyard are coming in 6.2 You coming back full time? It seems Blizzard is aware of at least a couple of your points, and are fixing it come 6.2?

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
So mythic 5 man dungeons, and new Garrison missions out of the shipyard are coming in 6.2 You coming back full time? It seems Blizzard is aware of at least a couple of your points, and are fixing it come 6.2?
All of those things are dog shit

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A bunch of people resubbed with gold too that must surely count as subscribers right now, myself included. Had they not implemented that I wonder what the number is.
Given how volatile the price of the token seem to be, I doubt there's a huge number of gold tokens exchanged.

I mean, we're relatively hardcore around here, and I know I got like 200k gold, which isn't very high compared to some... but I'm probably the second or third richest of my guild. And a lot of them aren't buying tokens ("what if I have to buy this improvement or that felthingy at the AH?").

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
BRF + Mythic = disaster.
Stop there. Mythic is about 1% of the people (not raiders, overall people). The fact that Mythic is bad/out of reach/whatever really impacts, like, 100k players total. That would add a whopping 3% to that sub loss assuming every Mythic player stopped playing.

(plus, of course, that's Q1. In Q1, you were still chasing those first kills in Mythic HM, then BRF).

High-end raiding is not the deciding factor in sub loss. I suspect the "what happens in WoW, stay in the Garrison" syndrome is the real culprit.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I played for like 2 weeks, the leveling was awesome, doing heroics was fun, but once my only progression with gear was to either raid or sit in my garrison, the game lost its luster real fast. They essentially gutted the rest of the game to make Draenor the place to be, with past content being irrelevant past achievement whoring (no really, killing mobs while below 90 is almost insultingly easy) and no flying mounts, then failed to make the world actually interesting and rewarding to travel, since everything is more easily done by sitting in a garrison in a frozen wasteland/reskinned ashenvale.

There's also the problem that there is no interesting itemization, your gear progression is summed up by a single all encompassing number by the game itself. It's hard to get pumped up for new gear when it is literally +1 on your stat sheet.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
MMO-Champion - WoW Down to 7.1 Million Subscribers

WoW Down to 7.1 Million Subscribers
Blizzard had their Q1 2014 earnings call today, announcing that WoW is down to 7.1 million subscribers at the end of Q1 2015. This is down 2.9 million from the Q4 2014 call that listed WoW at 10 million subscribers.

Ouch. I can't remember them losing that many subs this early in a XPAC. That's the kind of drop off you see from new MMO's.
It's because WoD fundamentally sucks: the only worthwhile content is the latest raid tier, the rest is garbage and consumed (multiple times) inside a month or two.
Oh and garrisons. Fuck garrisons.
If I may add, the xpack has no soul: I'm sick of orcs, I don't give a great fuck about the trousers of time and WoD seemed a poor attempt at rebooting the lore after many years. I'd love to see the Emerald Dream or to fuck up with the legion and Sargeras or with Queen Azshara, maybe on their own world, while what I got was the same shit of 2007, just not exploded and with a different story under it. Meh.

Also: raid or die (or play farmville).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Given how volatile the price of the token seem to be, I doubt there's a huge number of gold tokens exchanged.

I mean, we're relatively hardcore around here, and I know I got like 200k gold, which isn't very high compared to some... but I'm probably the second or third richest of my guild. And a lot of them aren't buying tokens ("what if I have to buy this improvement or that felthingy at the AH?").
I had to wait a couple days for somebody to put a token up to buy my token for august last night but the price was 18k so I am pretty okay with that. Nice that I will basically have the whole summer which is my low play time free so I don't feel bad about playing more sporadically.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's because WoD fundamentally sucks: the only worthwhile content is the latest raid tier, the rest is garbage and consumed (multiple times) inside a month or two.
Oh and garrisons. Fuck garrisons.
If I may add, the xpack has no soul: I'm sick of orcs, I don't give a great fuck about the trousers of time and WoD seemed a poor attempt at rebooting the lore after many years. I'd love to see the Emerald Dream or to fuck up with the legion and Sargeras or with Queen Azshara, maybe on their own world, while what I got was the same shit of 2007, just not exploded and with a different story under it. Meh.

Also: raid or die (or play farmville).
Well garrisons are making wow free to play for me so in the long run I am okay with them for that. I pretty much just send the clones out on the follower missions now I don't bother with the other stuff I have more materials/components than I will ever use now but my followers make 2-3k a night and given my last token was 18k my follower missions are more than paying for my wow subscription.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I log in periodically and queue up for LFR in order to get the Elemental Runes and finish the latest stage of the Legendary quest but thats it. The loot from LFR is 100% terrible and if you manage to get 4 pieces of the LFR set armor you get rewarded with craptacular set bonuses that remind you that you are a horrible person for subscribing and not doing Normal. I actually enjoyed the encounters in Pandaria and genuinely had fun gearing up several characters in LFR because the gear felt like upgrades. Now you have 3 pieces of tradeskill gear + Apexis shard gear all of which is a ton better than anything you could possibly hope to get out of actually playing LFR and the end result is just depressing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I log in periodically and queue up for LFR in order to get the Elemental Runes and finish the latest stage of the Legendary quest but thats it. The loot from LFR is 100% terrible and if you manage to get 4 pieces of the LFR set armor you get rewarded with craptacular set bonuses that remind you that you are a horrible person for subscribing and not doing Normal. I actually enjoyed the encounters in Pandaria and genuinely had fun gearing up several characters in LFR because the gear felt like upgrades. Now you have 3 pieces of tradeskill gear + Apexis shard gear all of which is a ton better than anything you could possibly hope to get out of actually playing LFR and the end result is just depressing.
This. Just unsubbed as I'm going to start exercising instead.

That's the oddest sentence I've typed in my entire life...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Regression time! Heh things were getting pretty chippy when it took two full nights just to get through the "farm" bosses. I managed to sit for all of one boss before I got jerked back off the bench. Glancing over the logs tells a sorry tale. I'm still in it for the dick jokes tho.

I think my original A52 guild is down to 4 of us.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It seems every expansion I am reading how Blizzard dropped from 10 million to 7 million. Nothing new here. I am sure we will see the same news and the same numbers in 2016.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I really enjoyed the expansion, but with how LFR is slowly slowly spoon fed the content I got bored and quit because I didn't have the time for even a casual guild really. I'll be back this summer for a month or two to run through LFR, play with whatever they've added to garrisons and wrap up the legendary quest... and then won't be back until the next expansion.

Diablo is just as much a reason why I'm not playing WoW. That's where a couple of my friends play so that's where I play.

It seems every expansion I am reading how Blizzard dropped from 10 million to 7 million. Nothing new here. I am sure we will see the same news and the same numbers in 2016.
Game climbed steadilly with no losses through Lich King, then Cataclysm went from 12m to 9m, Pandaria 10m to 6.8, and now WoD 10m to 7.1. This latest drop is in record time though, the others happened over the span of 2 years, WoD's drop is in 3 months.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
No, the "problem" is that Blizz has de-incentivized daily activities (and dungeons in general) such that for the average person, they log in once a week, do LFRs, and get in a weekly-ish Harrison Jones or Garrison questline while they're waiting for those LFRs. Everything else is inside the garrison. Doing a mythic dungeon or two once a week and even more solo garrison isn't a massive improvement on that.

The actual problem is that the game is old. And a significant chunk of playerbase actually thinks LFRs are a bad thing, as it gives out free "epics" and lets the playerbase see raid zones they don't "deserve", when in reality LFR is the only thing keeping that playerbase subscribed 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, rather than just for one month after every expansion releases.

The only way to fix the problem is to introduce Garrison-level subsystems every three months or so, so the experience is always fresh. I doubt Blizzard could even manage that.