World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Is it hard to tank BFD as a rogue? I might re-spec just to be able to get into better runs.
Now you mention this, I don't think I've even pug'd with a rogue tank even in 5-man stuff. I have no idea how they fair.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Tanking as a rogue is obnoxious and requires a very expensive rune.

Total failure as a concept, unlike Warlock which works fantastic.

Feral and pally are also fantastic.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
i've done BFD with a rogue tank but I was a DPS so not really paying attention, idk how hard it was for the other tank or for the healers to keep them up, but they do great dmg ie have good threat against single target, much like warlock tanks.

FYI idk how sweaty you guys are for gearing but sixtyupgrades has added a SoD tab so you can now track/manage gear sets for this.

finally got some gear upgrades on today's lockout for my druid, just need boots now.

edit: mist crying about an "expensive" rune even though every class has the exact same expense, which is infinitely simpler than the warlock tank rune is to get.

Paladin is of course the best tank, warriors are also fine. For single target Warlocks and rogues are both ok. Feral is the worst tank this phase and it's not even close.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
edit: mist crying about an "expensive" rune even though every class has the exact same expense
Yes, but it's for a different role for each class. If the purpose of adding tanking to Rogues was to make the role more accessible, putting it on the most expensive rune was a dumb idea.

For Warriors, the same expensive Ratchet quest rune is a basically just a PvP rune.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

We have a rogue tank in one of our BFDs and they seem to do fine.
What expensive rune are you talking about? The 2g one from the new faction?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We have a rogue tank in one of our BFDs and they seem to do fine.
What expensive rune are you talking about? The 2g one from the new faction?
No the Ratchet quest for Grizzby.

My point is that the rune is at level cap. If the idea was that Blizzard wanted more tanks for leveling dungeons, they should have made all the tanking stuff accessible sooner.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
wrong, the rogue rune isn't even the main tank rune.

Lets go through them, shall we? Grizzby Rune for:

Druid: Primary Tank rune (dmg reduction, no crit)
Hunter: pvp rune (more dmg w/o pet)
Mage: big Tank heal rune
Paladin: DSac (raid dmg reduction)
Priest: Healing rune (faster heals after flash heal)
Rogue: offhand combo builder in tank stance (not primary tank rune)
Shaman: DW spec (enh dps rune)
Warlock: Demonic Pact (raid dmg buff)
Warrior: Tank mobility rune (charge/intercept any stance/in combat. yes also helpful in pvp)

Your point is laughably wrong. The main tank rune for rogues is off the new AH rep which was initially hard to get/expensive but changed to friendly/2g so it takes about an hour to knock out at lvl 15, assuming you have the gold.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No the Ratchet quest for Grizzby.

My point is that the rune is at level cap. If the idea was that Blizzard wanted more tanks for leveling dungeons, they should have made all the tanking stuff accessible sooner.
Yeah I was going to say rogue tanks don't even use that rune. The problem with Rogue tanks is they have no AOE abilities. Otherwise they are fine.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The priest rune is fucking useless.

The rogue rune gives 10% parry and faster combo point generation. It's not required for tanking. The one that's required for tanking requires grinding the new reputation, which was originally Honored and took forever before they lowered it to Friendly.

Either way, Rogue tanking wasn't viable until cap.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Main Gauche sucks and not worth using. Rogues can tank ok, they just cant tank too many adds because of threat issues.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>

For those of you following along at home, not only was mist both actually and technically incorrect on literally every single thing she said in the above post;
The priest rune is fucking useless.

The rogue rune gives 10% parry and faster combo point generation. It's not required for tanking. The one that's required for tanking requires grinding the new reputation, which was originally Honored and took forever before they lowered it to Friendly.

Either way, Rogue tanking wasn't viable until cap.
She is also incapable of admitting when she is wrong in the second.

The factually correct answer to the original question:

Tanking in this phase on a rogue is great for single target fights but you lack aoe. The rune requires a quick rep farm you can do in an hour at level 15 but most likely you wont have the 2g until you are closer to level 20, plenty of time to tank every single dungeon (except perhaps rfc, if you are horde) prior to working your way up to the raid at 25.

Of all the non-tanks given the optional tank role via runes in SoD, only shamans have an easier path than rogues to their tank runes (which shaman can unlock by lvl 12-15), however due to combo point mechanics and lack of aoe abilities, you will have a hard time tanking packs of mobs and may opt to only tank in single target encounters/raids.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Just cleared it with folks in greens, BFD is really easy. I have no idea why people Assburger over having consumes and gear score lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The rune requires a quick rep farm you can do in an hour at level 15
At level 15 you get 100 rep per uncompleted supply crate, or 300 per completed supply crate. That's 30 uncompleted supply crates to Friendly, or 10 completed supply crates. (You used to have to get Honored, which was triple that.) Completing supply crates costs a significant amount of material from the AH, depending which supply crates you find. Each supply crate has to be taken back to a capital city individually, unless you are very lucky and already have the materials (say 20 ore) that can complete the crate, then you can hold a completed crate an an uncompleted crate.

You are not doing this in an hour.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Ok sure, slightly more than an hour. you got me.

by level 15 you've probably already turned in 5-10 of the crates at 100-450 honor, depending on your trade skills/materials you have on hand (the level 6 ones give 100 rep empty, 300 complete. the ~lvl 15 ones give 100 empty, 450 complete. obviously human bonus gets you an additional 10%)

So if you've done nothing but quested around elwynn/westfall/loch/etc and did the normal quest chains that have you stop off and go to both SW and IF repeatedly and turned in empty boxes (or the equivalent horde quests org/tb while questing barrens) you should have between 500-1500 rep already when you reach the level you can get the rune.

Now most people don't do this, because there is no fucking point to getting the rune at 15, but you can very easily turn in 1 empty box every 5-6 minutes (that's how long the run takes from SW to kobold mine and back) and there's always a chest outside of the kobold mine unless you play at some god forsaken hour where there isn't 10+ layers of elwynn up and no people around.

I did 1500 to 3k on my druid in less than 30 minutes. granted I was already 25 and had the gold so I bought mats from the AH (total gold spent maybe 3.5g including the 2g for the rune itself) so it only took 5 runs and that includes the time it takes to stop in the AH each run, buy the shit then pick it up from the mailbox each time. it would have taken me just over an hour to do 15 runs, an hour and 15 minutes actually.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just cleared it with folks in greens, BFD is really easy. I have no idea why people Assburger over having consumes and gear score lol.

They want it done in 30 minutes with the least amount of work/issues.

I pugged it the first couple weeks. When they would take almost anyone, didn't care about world buffs, consumables or looking up your logs. And this is when it was a bit harder if you were caster heavy.

It's ridiculous now reading the the chat for pugs. Better have all 3 world buffs, faps and shadow pots, link your gear and they will look up any logs you have.

More shocked though it hasnt all turned into "selling bfd run for cloth/leather/chain etc", yet.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
They want it done in 30 minutes with the least amount of work/issues.

I pugged it the first couple weeks. When they would take almost anyone, didn't care about world buffs, consumables or looking up your logs. And this is when it was a bit harder if you were caster heavy.

It's ridiculous now reading the the chat for pugs. Better have all 3 world buffs, faps and shadow pots, link your gear and they will look up any logs you have.

More shocked though it hasnt all turned into "selling bfd run for cloth/leather/chain etc", yet.

What are WB and FAP needed for anyway?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
you can go in with a group of fresh 25 mouthbreathing retards, wipe two or three times on 2 or three bosses and still be done in under an hour.

BFD was an interesting choice as first dungeon turned raid, mostly im guessing they chose it to test the concept before they let the rest of the classic team know about this season of discovery idea they were working on.

Its one of the tiniest dungeons in classic, roughly the size of rfc, barely larger than stockades. Even slamming into every encounter face first, window licking the entire way its simply too small of a dungeon with too little trash for it to take very long.

Last edited: