Worth going all Apple?

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yes, and the only example that's been given is the *possibility* that an app a user hasn't opened in many months may get moved to the slow HD instead of being on the flash drive, which is... exactly what it should do! If you open an app every 4 months, it shouldn't be a big deal to wait 2 extra seconds for it to load, when the apps and other files that you actually do use are automatically put on the fast drive.
The other issue mentioned here is that a lot of small files that are actively used but not loaded simultaneously will be using up space in the ssd portion of the sshd. These will take up space pointlessly in the flash memory as hard drives load these files in under a second anyway.

Even when I got a 60 gig ssd two years ago I put in my os (along with the entire virtual memory requirements) and critical apps in there. That along will give you better performance then sshd's. Nowadays you can buy much more for the same cost and can install virtually every app, os, use it for virtual memory, and more.

Also for those saying apple's version is not merely marketing talk what specific improvements have they made in the algorithm? Are there any valid performance benchmarks to that affect?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Obviously I'm not as technologically inclined as many of the posters here, and I would never claim to be. And yeah, I like Apple products, and it'd take an act of Congress to get me to run a Windows machine at home. Our EMRs in the hospital are on Windows-running laptops and they're shit. Fucking pieces of garbage with trackpads that were invented in 1950. Obviously these are lower end laptops, but doesn't change the experience with the OS, which is pretty horrible too.

I still think the arguments presented here against some Apple products and technology are very weak. Like with their Fusion Drive, it's still more than just a hybrid drive, you can't discount the Core Storage layer. But you're right, I did not know hybrid drives have been around for quite a while. I knew people were manually managing keeping an OS & apps on a SSD and media on a HD, but I haven't kept up with tech enough to know they were doing hybrid drives. (I hope everyone realizes what just happened on the internet, someone admitted they didn't know something.)

I also still think the arguments against Thunderbolt are very weak, and that when lower priced motherboards start having Thunderbolt ports and component prices come down, you'll all start using it. It's simply vastly superior to USB3 in every single way, save for price.

And Tuco, I always wear shoes. I'm not a OWS dirty hippie
smile.png

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yes, and the only example that's been given is the *possibility* that an app a user hasn't opened in many months may get moved to the slow HD instead of being on the flash drive, which is... exactly what it should do! If you open an app every 4 months, it shouldn't be a big deal to wait 2 extra seconds for it to load, when the apps and other files that you actually do use are automatically put on the fast drive.
Do you have the option of telling Fusion not to move an app that you don't use often, because you want it to stay where it is?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Aychamo I think what you're missing with thunderbolt is that computer enthusiasts have seen so many communication technologies come and go that it's hard to be excited about paying more for a new comm tech before it's mainstream. Maybe TB will be the new USB, maybe it'll be the new Firewire. It's tough to say, but what's easy to say is that if it's popular I'll be able to build a PC that will utilize it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I also still think the arguments against Thunderbolt are very weak, and that when lower priced motherboards start having Thunderbolt ports and component prices come down, you'll all start using it. It's simply vastly superior to USB3 in every single way, save for price.
Huh? The only argument I've seen come up multiple times is the lack of widespread adoption of Thunderbolt, which is absolutely correct. There are two paths this can go down.

a) Thunderbolt becomes the next USB. USB3 fades into the background and is eventually obsoleted by Thunderbolt et descendants, and the world forgets it even existed after a time. You know, like PS/2, and the serial and parallel ports.

b) No one cares about it and it becomes another niche market, like Firewire. Or, worse yet, no one cares about it, and it becomes another niche market like ADB. Remember ADB? Neither does anyone else.

Edit: Fuck, Tuco is too fast for me. Points still stand though, especially the ADB comparison, because it's ancient Apple technology. ;-)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Do you have the option of telling Fusion not to move an app that you don't use often, because you want it to stay where it is?
I honestly don't know. It'd take more time fucking around with the settings than it would to wait the extra 2 seconds for an app I haven't used in 6 months to launch. I guess that's part of my perceived benefit: efficiency. I don't want to spend an hour fucking around with settings on things. I'm perfectly fine if things aren't quite perfect if I didn't spend forever trying to configure them to be. (spoken by a pontificating asshole who wastes so much time and extends his work day on a fucking forum.) I'm sure someone will now post calling me an idiot saying that it didn't take them that long to set up their own version of a Fusion Drive.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I honestly don't know. It'd take more time fucking around with the settings than it would to wait the extra 2 seconds for an app I haven't used in 6 months to launch. I guess that's part of my perceived benefit: efficiency. I don't want to spend an hour fucking around with settings on things. I'm perfectly fine if things aren't quite perfect if I didn't spend forever trying to configure them to be. (spoken by a pontificating asshole who wastes so much time and extends his work day on a fucking forum.) I'm sure someone will now post calling me an idiot saying that it didn't take them that long to set up their own version of a Fusion Drive.
You may be completely correct in that it's a waste of time, but it's a reasonable question. If the answer to "can I tell my operating system not to screw around with what I put where" is "no", don't you think that's a bit of a problem? I don't care how inefficient keeping stuff on the SSD is in someone else's eyes; if I can't keep my programs exactly where I want them because some algorithm knows better, I've lost control of my computer, and that's not going to happen without a fight.

If I want my computer to run a certain way, that's none of anyone's business, even if I'm doing it wrong in their eyes.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
You may be completely correct in that it's a waste of time, but it's a reasonable question. If the answer to "can I tell my operating system not to screw around with what I put where" is "no", don't you think that's a bit of a problem? I don't care how inefficient keeping stuff on the SSD is in someone else's eyes; if I can't keep my programs exactly where I want them because some algorithm knows better, I've lost control of my computer, and that's not going to happen without a fight.

If I want my computer to run a certain way, that's none of anyone's business, even if I'm doing it wrong in their eyes.
A very valid point. Fortunately this isn't a forced option. And hopefully, as someone previously stated, SSDs will keep plummeting in price so we can all just have everything on them. Well, the bulk of everything.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Aychamo I think what you're missing with thunderbolt is that computer enthusiasts have seen so many communication technologies come and go that it's hard to be excited about paying more for a new comm tech before it's mainstream. Maybe TB will be the new USB, maybe it'll be the new Firewire. It's tough to say, but what's easy to say is that if it's popular I'll be able to build a PC that will utilize it.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel.../dp/B008LTB3QW

You already can build a PC with thunderbolt.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Tuco hit the nail on the head. The price of per GB for SSD drives is dropping dramatically. Pretty soon you will see budget machines starting to ship with SSD because they are price negligible with the more traditional hard drives. Obviously you wont get a 500GB SSD, but you may start seeing 98 or even 120GB SSD in your Gateway, Dell, HP AMD machines. Hell I bought a Samsung 240GB SSD for 150 recently, and I have seen a little better pricing than that (around 130-140).

I have no idea who would need a TB port right now. Maybe high end graphics designers, and gaming enthusiasts.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hell, ChromeBoxes already ship with 16GB SSDs in them. Large enough for most OSes and a smattering of apps. Throw your data on an external drive and you're good.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
"Fusion" drives is the stereotypical apple marketing machine at work. Take something the general computer industry has had for a while, then rename it something catchy or gimmicky and viola! Apple is purely a marketing and apparel company these days, as their stock price shows.
I love the new round of iPhone commercials that do exactly this. OMG the iPhone has a noise cancelling microphone! It's not like that's been on every smartphone for the last 5 years or anything! Apple is amazing!

Luxentir

Trakanon Raider
Ima just put this here:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...uper_speed_way

I actually LIKE the tech behind TB, but as long as USB keeps on revving, I don't see TB taking over. The footprint for UBS "stuff" is massive and they have managed to keep the spec compatible with ancient devices and push the speed ever up. At best I agree with the article. TB might be able to carve out a niche with some externals.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
External graphics card seems cool, but I don't see myself having a use for it. The only graphics cards I care about are massive and unwieldy and belong in a massive PC.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
This Thunderbolt debate is retarded. All out electronic devices use USB and they are always backwards compatible. Until people stop being reliant on USB (which is unlikely), it's not going anywhere. TB will simply fade away like all the other interfaces that tried to dethrone USB.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The true benefit of TB isn't even necessarily its speed, it's that it's a "native" PCI-E interface, so any external device can use the PCI-E bus and act as if it were in a PCI-E slot, allowing you to have things like external video cards for laptops, external...well, anything.

It's a technology I've been waiting for, for nearly 20 years, and am shocked people don't care or want it to fail?
name one thing other than graphics cards that use PCI-E and aren't already available externally.