WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I remember when you could put conditional statements in a macro, a loop that would find the most wounded player, target him and then you'd heal him. I'm going to have to roll a character on ED one of these days.
Dont play on ED.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well, technically right now, they can't even play on Rebirth. Server went down, and within minutes, Muggle was on reddit saying they were looking into it. Latest update posted by Muggle is it'll be down for several hours, up to a day. Bleh. Guess this is the problem with private servers...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rebirth, and I guess even Origin, Steam, and retail WoW servers all have been under DDoS attacks. Rebirth and other private WoW servers are still not back up again. Sucks!

I had just gotten ISBoxer setup, and was boxing mage/priest together!

Word

Bronze Knight of the Realm
World of Corecraft delayed till 2015
frown.png

A few hours ago we finished our first 24 hour test, and despite some bumps and hurdles I'm pleased with the outcome. One of the goals of this test was evaluating whether or not we're going to make our 2014 deadline. And after this test it's now clear to me that we're rapidly moving in the right direction. Just as I think it's clear to everyone that's been following our better estimation page, it's clear to me that we're getting very close to a finished product now. However, with the same clarity I'm sure many have anticipated that keeping our promised release time is getting harder and harder, and with this test I think even we are convinced it won't be this side of the new year's.

Not releasing the server until it's fully ready for operation is of course a no-brainer, and hopefully is to everyone. Why risk spoiling two years of full-time development on a bit of impatience?

Our only real regret is that we made a public promise that we broke. We said that 2014 was going to be our release, and it looks like we are about to break that promise. I think it's first important to understand why we made such a promise. It just so happens that at the beginning of the year, we said to ourselves, nim and I, that we have to finish this year. Due to personal reasons it would be inconceivalbe, no impossible, to keep at it for more than a full year, and it had to be completed this year without failure. And toward that end we have been working much more than full-time shifts at corecraft. Since we had decided there was no option but to make it happen, we knew it would be so, and we made our intent public.

This has been our only mistake; telling everyone of our deadline and making that promise. For that we're sorry. It was never our intent to lie. In fact, we have been working very hard to keep our promise. Yet, as it turns out, more issues than we could ever forsee have been cropping up throughout the year. And while we are indeed besting them one by one, it has taken a lot of time.

Now, a much more interesting point than dwelling in what has been, is what will come. For to make sure the release drags as little as possible into 2015 we should adopt the following new policies:

Tests will continue at a more regular interval. And their main focus will shift to become:

a) improving stability
and
b) finding major bugs

The second point here is of extra note. Up until now we've concerned ourselves with all bugs, even the very minor ones. From now on we will evaluate each reported bug and determine if it's severe and needs fixing prior to release, or if it can wait. If it's the latter the bug will be noted down and left to post-release fixing.

Thus, the two biggest things we have left are stability (tended to by testing) and the server software's efficiency and performance (listed as optimization on the better estimation). We need a server that keeps stable for long periods of time, and we need a server that can host many people. These are two important goals, and what I will be focusing on most sternly from here on.

With those words I hope I have been able to share our plans and intents as openly as possible. Know that one of our goals has always been an open and honest communication channel. This is of course true both when the news are positive and when they're not.
Assessment after first 24 hour test | Corecraft, Burning Crusade Private Server

patrick

Been bummed lately because there isn't a very good selection of vanilla servers. Rebirth is always dowb. ED now accepts donations for stuff. Just waiting for Kronos, core craft, or another one to come up.

Tried Valkyrie for a little bit, but the population is poor for English speakers. The economy and towns have been deserted when I've been on.

Want to get my vanilla raiding on!

ss82480_sl

shitlord
*hint hint* Blizzard. I am probably alone here but I basically swore off WOW after wotlk, but an official Blizzard vanilla, or at least progression server would get my business back.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I would probably dink around with that.

Going to be funny in another 35-50 years when we are all old fuckers siting in the nursing home bitching about whatever Emu is still running UO / WoW Vanilla / EQ

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Vanilla Wow had some seriously fucked up itemization and class imbalances though, when I think back, it really wasn't... good. Not sure why you'd willingly spend your time doing the ridiculous time sinks to get to raid that content again.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I have friends who are eagerly awaiting the chance to do just that. They work from home and want an MMO that they can pour 12-16 hours a day into in order to fully engorge their epeen. Modern games are actually mechanically challenging at the highest level; they'd rather smoke weed and be big dogs on the server via outrageous time investment.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Been bummed lately because there isn't a very good selection of vanilla servers. Rebirth is always dowb. ED now accepts donations for stuff. Just waiting for Kronos, core craft, or another one to come up.

Tried Valkyrie for a little bit, but the population is poor for English speakers. The economy and towns have been deserted when I've been on.

Want to get my vanilla raiding on!
That Kronos one sounds nice. I tried Rebirth but they have global chat? Global cross faction chat? What is vanilla about that shit? I saw that and shut down never to log in again. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
That Kronos one sounds nice. I tried Rebirth but they have global chat? Global cross faction chat? What is vanilla about that shit? I saw that and shut down never to log in again. Either do it right or don't do it at all.
Yea man low pop servers where you also can't talk to each other are so fun!!!!!!!!

Wat

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Vanilla Wow had some seriously fucked up itemization and class imbalances though, when I think back, it really wasn't... good. Not sure why you'd willingly spend your time doing the ridiculous time sinks to get to raid that content again.
because it had some challlenges and chances to have a unique character

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Everyone I know that refers to vanilla wow/eq as "had challenges" really wants an easy game that requires 8 hours a day to make progress so they could look down upon all the plebes who can "only" play 2-3 hours.

Elsebet

Peasant
Everyone I know that refers to vanilla wow/eq as "had challenges" really wants an easy game that requires 8 hours a day to make progress so they could look down upon all the plebes who can "only" play 2-3 hours.
In my experience vanilla WoW had more social challenges for raiders. I don't really remember too many people getting kicked out of our 5 nights a week raiding guild for not performing well in their role/class, but they did get kicked if they were terrible AND an insufferable clod. One of my Priests was horrible but he was funny and made good graphics for our website. Granted, we started raiding late when ZG/AQ 20 were around. We finished MC/BWL and got up to Twins in AQ and only 1-2 bosses in Naxx before TBC expansion fever crept in and we stopped raiding. It just felt like there was more togetherness in that era since we had to spend so much more time together for attunements, farming resist gear and potions, etc. Now you can login, do your raid, and logoff, which I'm the first to admit is better all around, but some of that epic feeling is lost.

tl;dr - I feel like vanilla WoW was like working at a startup and modern WoW is like working at a large corporation.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I agree with that for both early EQ and WoW. But having played both, I can honestly say my life is no where near set up to be able to enjoy an "old school" MMO anymore. The people I know who WANT a return to old school MMO dynamics are all people able and willing to play as many hours a day as it takes to get ahead. None of my friends that actually have cool fucking social lives or families want to play vanilla EQ/WOW. Go figure.

I'm happy with the current state of WoW: I can PUG interesting raid content at my own pace and feel like I'm beating challenging content without having to spend an enormous amount of time. I'll take a break when I get bored.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I enjoy them like I enjoy a movie from the 80s I've seen 100 times. i have no illusions about their greatness or flaws but enjoy them for the same reason I enjoy watching porkys.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
Yea man low pop servers where you also can't talk to each other are so fun!!!!!!!!

Wat
Did you ever play it? It was all "FUCK YOU FAGGOT" and BG spam in the global cross faction chat. Global spam channel isn't classic. Want to talk to people? Join a guild. Not that hard.

Plus some quests are broken/bugged out, major features missing. Shit server.

Tenks

Yeah raiding in WoW vanilla was more about finding 40 warm bodies than 40 great players. I played with the people from Ascent fairly often on my server (#1 horde on Medivh, WF Ragnaros) while in Vindication (#2 horde) and they were competent but nothing spectacular. Their leader and MT was very good at barking orders and they were somewhat ruthless about cutting people who consistently underperformed. Vanilla raiding seemed more like having 20 people perform well, 10 perform below average and 10 being brain dead.