Writers Strike and Unions

iannis

Musty Nester
Maybe those shows just went to dogshit then. lol.

There was a netflix show I was watching a while ago, and it wasn't great to begin with but man it took a real turn for the stupid. I checked the dates and it was right around that writers strike.

Maybe those guys were pre-gaming. I dunno, something went on and it was mid-season. We're talking bad to worse.

Maybe it wasn't so dramatic as all that. Either one guy decided "wait... I get paid the same if I try or if I DON'T try... hmm" or maybe someone got fired.

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
That's because he is a great writer that crossed the picket line to keep his staff employed. Him and Stewart both did great jobs during it.

Conan O'Brien seems like a stand up guy.

Given that writing for television appears to not be consistent and reliable work (generally) what do writers do with the rest of their time? Do they just try and write for multiple shows/properties? It seems like there'd structurally not be enough work to go around.

EDIT - You answered my question like 3 posts above. What's the work structure like for writers who didn't get really lucky?

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
You answered my question like 3 posts above. What's the work structure like for writers who didn't get really lucky?
Usually a day job. Mostly they will work in another production capacity like an editor, assistant or something on set. Depending on your contract (exclusive to a show) you might not get to write anything else. I know plenty who are novelists or producing their own small things on off cycles. I also know plenty that work regular day jobs like mechanics or sales when they have no work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Maybe it wasn't so dramatic as all that. Either one guy decided "wait... I get paid the same if I try or if I DON'T try... hmm" or maybe someone got fired.
Tell you exactly what happened. You had a well written script that was in development and once the strike hit, that development got shifted from the actual writer to someone who has no idea what they are doing. Original writer keeps their name on it so it looks legit, but the entire thing was changed and developed during production by a couple of interns and a clueless producer who skirted a side deal with the union to stay on as an "advisor" or some shit.

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Usually a day job. Mostly they will work in another production capacity like an editor, assistant or something on set. Depending on your contract (exclusive to a show) you might not get to write anything else. I know plenty who are novelists or producing their own small things on off cycles. I also know plenty that work regular day jobs like mechanics or sales when they have no work.

Very interesting, thank you.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Didn't realize Jericho was fucked regardless. I still want it back. :(

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I vaguely remember there being 13 seasons of survivor and 22 seasons of big brother pushed out during the writers strike

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users