X-Men '97

Xevy

Log Wizard
X-men in principal is woke, their whole mission is a minority gaining acceptance to the masses and wanting equal treatment and fighting their oppression week in and week out while fighting evil and and oppressors and viewing themselves as the heroes.
So many people forget the whole point of Magneto vs Xavier. Xavier is the MLK "We can show them we're good" and then some FoH mutant-haters start attacking mutant kids and Magnet pulls the Malcom X and just goes "Nazis? I know what to do with Nazis." and murders them all.

Whole fucking thing was social commentary. I don't know that they had a specific minority they were championing for, but it was obviously a more generalist tone of "maybe don't pick on people who aren't like you for no reason".

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So many people forget the whole point of Magneto vs Xavier. Xavier is the MLK "We can show them we're good" and then some FoH mutant-haters start attacking mutant kids and Magnet pulls the Malcom X and just goes "Nazis? I know what to do with Nazis." and murders them all.

Whole fucking thing was social commentary. I don't know that they had a specific minority they were championing for, but it was obviously a more generalist tone of "maybe don't pick on people who aren't like you for no reason".
I figured mutants were the minority they were championing for, along with equality.

and voice to text butchered my post, I went and edited that word salad lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Stan Lee has said many times that the X-Men/mutants was based on segregation. Not really breaking news here.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I meant the real-life analog. Obviously when X-Men started it was the 60's so probably the Civil Rights Movement, but in the early 90's when it came on I don't know who the message was supposed to be applied to. Gay people? I don't think it really translated. As a kid I think most of us were like "Yeah Victor Creed is a dickhole. Good thing those guys don't exist in real life."

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

nobody has forgotten or is so dumb they can't see the parallels. I was referring to pre-show buzz that it would be overly woke - like Morph being non-binary and using they/them pronouns. None of that has come up yet. There was a few lines about oppressors and opressed but nothing major

and actually Tarrant Tarrant - if you want to get specific - civil rights era is not woke. The whole point of "woke" is that it believes the civil rights era was a failure because racial inequity still exists. Therefore all the civil rights ideals and values like color blindness etc don't work, hence if you don't see colour you're racist because you're not seeing how racism continues today.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

En Sabah Nur

Bronze Squire
Guys, that looks like our fucking bird logo. They've been here.
Funny enough, I found this topic by searching something like "x-men 97 forum foh"

Was curious to see if anyone else had come to the (correct) conclusion that FOH are the actual heroes we should be rooting for in this grotesque reanimation of a once beloved children's television show. Guess I'm not alone!

• 11Worf
Reactions: 10 users

Siliconemelons

Funny enough, I found this topic by searching something like "x-men 97 forum foh"

Was curious to see if anyone else had come to the (correct) conclusion that FOH are the actual heroes we should be rooting for in this grotesque reanimation of a once beloved children's television show. Guess I'm not alone!

Lol

well, welcome to the forum… you are in for a wild ride…

Edit: for history sake, this forum started as a guild forum for EverQuest.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Greetings.

As the person who was the first to spot the connection then I guess that makes me your new God.

Amod Amod surely I deserve another medal for helping to attract new users to our great forum?

• 1Garbage

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Greetings.

As the person who was the first to spot the connection then I guess that makes me your new God.

Amod Amod surely I deserve another medal for helping to attract new users to our great forum?
Shut the fuck up, Asshat.

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

En Sabah Nur

Bronze Squire
nobody has forgotten or is so dumb they can't see the parallels. I was referring to pre-show buzz that it would be overly woke - like Morph being non-binary and using they/them pronouns. None of that has come up yet. There was a few lines about oppressors and opressed but nothing major

and actually Tarrant Tarrant - if you want to get specific - civil rights era is not woke. The whole point of "woke" is that it believes the civil rights era was a failure because racial inequity still exists. Therefore all the civil rights ideals and values like color blindness etc don't work, hence if you don't see colour you're racist because you're not seeing how racism continues today.
Woke is kind of a dumb meaningless word but if you watched these episodes without realizing the writers are going all in on shoving their worldview down your throat I'm not sure what you were watching. The second episode treated us to a white militia storming the Capitol, a "mutant' (Jean Grey) being denied healthcare because she's a "mutant", a "mutant" (Magneto) lecturing whites to behave themselves or there will be consequences, a white guy (I think?) beating the hell out of a "mutant" (Cyclops) while lambasting him for all the complaining that "mutants" do (I laughed pretty hard at this one), etc.

The good news is they hit so many of these beats in the first two episodes that just might run out of them and be forced to fall back on making a cartoon about superhumans battling each other.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Woke is kind of a dumb meaningless word but if you watched these episodes without realizing the writers are going all in on shoving their worldview down your throat I'm not sure what you were watching. The second episode treated us to a white militia storming the Capitol, a "mutant' (Jean Grey) being denied healthcare because she's a "mutant", a "mutant" (Magneto) lecturing whites to behave themselves or there will be consequences, a white guy (I think?) beating the hell out of a "mutant" (Cyclops) while lambasting him for all the complaining that "mutants" do (I laughed pretty hard at this one), etc.

The good news is they hit so many of these beats in the first two episodes that just might run out of them and be forced to fall back on making a cartoon about superhumans battling each other.

I think this new guy found the right forum…

Should we tell him how to get access to the political section of the forum lol

• 2Double Worf
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Welcome newly assigned glowie. May boozecube bring you up to speed as his replacement.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

ya boi zack actually likes it.
hes never been one to care about "the message" if the story is good. weird like that.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

This guy fucks.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Unironically, yes. We are the good guys.

Any mutant powerful enough to make a difference in the war for mutant equality is powerful enough to genocide the human race given enough time. All mutants must die.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Unironically, yes. We are the good guys.

Any mutant powerful enough to make a difference in the war for mutant equality is powerful enough to genocide the human race given enough time. All mutants must die.

What do you fear more, mutants or carbs?

• 1Garbage

velk

Trakanon Raider
a "mutant' (Jean Grey) being denied healthcare because she's a "mutant"

I'm pretty sure if mutants existed, that would actually happen, for entirely non-sinister reasons.

The actuaries would have no idea what to set insurance premiums at, and the actual doctors would have zero idea about how mutant biology works - they are inherently unqualified to provide treatment, and the legal liability would be insane.

Consider getting the world's best neurosurgeon to operate on your parrot. Everything they know is wrong, and none of their tools are useful.