X Wing/ Tie Fighter

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Never again, one thing I learned about old games, they are never as good as you remember and despite my heart saying graphics don't matter my brain says it looks like shit and I ruin all my memories.
Yeah I tried to get into Freespace and learned this lesson. Not touching these awesome games/memories, but would love a followup one day.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I tried to get into Freespace and learned this lesson. Not touching these awesome games/memories, but would love a followup one day.
I'm kind of the same way, I get all exciting about playing a game I haven't played in forever (Ultima VI was the latest) and then a few hours later I'm over it. I'd love playing these games but I know I won't devote the time necessary to enjoy them. Then you start realizing you should be playing something recent that's good (although granted there really isn't any game current that is like these).

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Time to buy a joystick again! I hope they release X-Wing Alliance too. I actually really liked the transition from being just a family run freighter pilot to rebel fighter pilot.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
FSOInstaller.com

Dude, just trust me. It's fucking awesome.

I last played FSOpen a few years ago and it's only been updated since. It supports both campaigns + gobs of user created stuff. New ship models, full HD, and so on.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didn't know about the connection between Descent and Freespace, but I didn't play video games between 1997 and the end of 2000. FSO looks pretty cool. God I sucked at Descent, don't remember if I ever finished it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So they're just allowing you to buy these games again? Not sure why this is news since they're readily available on the internet...

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Are you condoning piracy threads?

First time these games are legally available AND supported for modern systems since their initial release.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Never again, one thing I learned about old games, they are never as good as you remember and despite my heart saying graphics don't matter my brain says it looks like shit and I ruin all my memories.
are there any good mods out for it though? those seem to breath life into games

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
It really boils down to how you feel about graphics. Great Old games hold up as games absolutely, but if you can't handle the graphics then definitely let your brain remember them in HD.

Admiral Thrawn is the fucking (blue) man. Tie fighter is amazing with expansion - highly recommend.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
There are mods to update models but I think it's only for X-Wing Alliance. I don't know how far along they have come with porting the campaign etc. It's been years since I last looked into it.

And the Tie Defender expansion - LUDICROUS SPEED.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are you condoning piracy threads?

First time these games are legally available AND supported for modern systems since their initial release.
I wanted to play Tie Fighter a few months ago. About 10 minutes later I was playing Tie Fighter. I just don't understand why anyone who wants to play Tie Fighter would wait until some company re-releases it.

As for piracy vs non-piracy I don't feel bad about downloading a game I bought for 50 gallons worth of gasoline when it came out!!

The most memorable part about Tie Fighter was the ludicrous bonus objectives you could do at the tail end of a 20+ minute mission where failure meant restarting the mission.

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Silly question - but do you guys know of any mods that up the game resolution of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter to something a little more modern? I picked up KOTOR a year back on a Steam Sale to only find out the game plays only in 800x600 resolution or something bad. However it looked like there were mods to upscale the resolution for KOTOR. I wonder if anyone did it for these older games

Goladus_sl

shitlord
I haven't found this to be true. Graphics DO matter but not in the sense of resolution and polygon count. They just have to effectively convey what the game needs conveyed. For a game like X-Wing: when you destroy the enemy ship, is it satisfying? There's an explosion and the pieces of the TIE-fighter break apart. Do capital ships in the distance seem still ominous and dangerous? Does the cockpit display tell you what you need to know? Is the combat tense and engaging? Does it all feel like Star Wars?

In my experience, some older games are hampered by bad graphics and others aren't. Some games hold up well, others don't. ThatTMNT NES game, I remember enjoying that as a kid but it does not hold up very well. The graphics look dated. The turtles look like pixelated, low-res versions of what they're supposed to be, and lots of the enemies don't even look like anything at all, just weird blobs of color. The controls are finicky and annoying. The music gets repetitive. The weapons/platform concept has been done better. And so on. Other NES games, I find, hold up much better: Legend of Zelda, Mega Man (2-3), Super Mario 3.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Silly question - but do you guys know of any mods that up the game resolution of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter to something a little more modern? I picked up KOTOR a year back on a Steam Sale to only find out the game plays only in 800x600 resolution or something bad. However it looked like there were mods to upscale the resolution for KOTOR. I wonder if anyone did it for these older games
I think all such projects are only for X-Wing Alliance. Just google "X-Wing Alliance upgrade" IIRC

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Wasnt another part of the problem that midi software drivers are no longer available for post winxp systems? To get Force Feedback (motors) to work. Inputs would still pass through afaik.