XCOM 2

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is the final timer shorter on higher difficulty? My current Commander playthrough the timer popped at 14 days I believe, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. I am in a situation where the start was Africa and the alien facilities are in Western US and Indonesia - in other words, I need to spread across the entire damn map to get to them and it changes everything when you have to focus on large amounts of intel/resistance comms.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My timer was actually longer on legendary. I got ~20 days on veteran but 28 days on legendary.

And yeah I think you're stuck doing the story missions earlier than you might like to if you can't get to a facility in time.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
XCom2 from the Advent side

BSNR9jT.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah that 20+ day timer completely resets every time you knock a bar back off. I don't know if you can actually go indefinitely (Firaxis said you couldn't before launch) but you can definitely drag the game out an incredibly long time if you wanted.
14 days on Commander FYI. Not tried Legend yet, but might be 7 days with the trend.

Sulrn

Deuces
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad it was Bradford piloting. . . He took us halfway around the world (S. America -> Asia), but we escaped.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Ok, that maneuver video made me feel better after just losing a rescue mission. Shit went sideways and just got unlucky as hell.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think the game could use one or two more real ballbuster dark events like Vigilance and Show of Force. Make it a real risk to ignore an unknown dark event. Similarly I think there could stand to be a handful of 'jackpot' scan sites.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I think the game could use one or two more real ballbuster dark events like Vigilance and Show of Force. Make it a real risk to ignore an unknown dark event. Similarly I think there could stand to be a handful of 'jackpot' scan sites.
I actually got a real jackpot scan in my current Legendary play through. Ammo and a Grenade. Extremely useful, super early game I got tracer rounds for my sniper and an Acid grenade.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I got that once. It's a jackpot if you get it in the first couple months, then rapidly becomes 'who the hell cares'. Unless you double up on something really useful like acid bombs or talon rounds.

*edit*

really fucking pisses me off when I catch the enemy AI cheating. Like when I leave someone exposed well behind the front line and the AI magically knows to run way forward to take the shot. and then on a later turn a different enemy runs way forward to finish that soldier off in low cover, despite not having anyone in LoS of her.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It's been out a while but still putting this in spoilers (About the ending). I just saw it, beat Commander Iron Man (Been swapping between Commander and Legendary, every time I fuck up on Legendary I swap back and do a bit on Commander, to practice.)

So, the story does look like Terror from the Deep. But supposedly whatever this is, is what was killing the Elders right? One of the lines in the end said that 'it came to our world first, and billions died'. I'm guessing terror from the deep will be a new big bad? That's why the elders were trying to find a perfect genetic host, to fight them.

I do wonder how the game will go, how you'll end up leveling the tech tree.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
My favourite dark event for obvious reasons is the one that spawns extra facelesses in your missions. I ended up finishing my campaign with 5 mimic beacons which was overkill.

Question: are there any new aliens beyond Gatekeepers? Kinda bummed that Ethereals didn't get to show up, i know they are, um, replaced but still.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My favourite dark event for obvious reasons is the one that spawns extra facelesses in your missions. I ended up finishing my campaign with 5 mimic beacons which was overkill.

Question: are there any new aliens beyond Gatekeepers? Kinda bummed that Ethereals didn't get to show up, i know they are, um, replaced but still.
Gatekeepers are the last. We'll definitely be getting more with at least one of the DLC packs, although the ones I'm thinking of might only show up in a specific mission(s)

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah one thing I'm mildly disappointed with is the number of enemies they touted. They took away as many as they added, there's no real net gain here. MOST of their new ones were just conversions of old ones.

Sectoid (the appreciably pitiful and fun to slay) > Evil Angry Sectoid (not as fun to slaughter)
Floater > Archon
Cyberdisk > Gatekeeper
Thin Man > Viper
Mechtoid > ADVENT MEC
Ethereal > Avatar

Many of their "omg so many types of enemies!!" are just upgraded versions of previous ones, which Long War did on its own with alien research, they just didn't rename them. Whatever.

Notably absent:
Drone
Seeker
I'm sure I'm missing one or two

Overall I miss many of the old enemies. Cyberdisks were always so terrifying... honestly the entire mech line-up in EU/EW/Long War was just solid, the kind of stuff you love to hate to have to deal with.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mechtoids and Seekers (and EXALT obviously) were added with EW, I'm sure we'll get one or two more types in the DLC. What's really missing is the sectoid commander, there should really be a midgame psi enemy to bridge the gap between sectoids and gatekeepers. I guess someone could just mod a palette swapped sectoid with more powers and a higher psi strength though.

Sulrn

Deuces
I think that's why the LWS mods added the Centurion - it's no Sectoid Commander, but it was definitely a pain on balancing not letting him kill someone or failing a timer.

I do hope the DLC add some more elements in the game similar to EU ->EW.