Yooka Laylee (Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor from ex Rare)

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
New video came out with some pre pre alpha gameplay in a very not done stage, but it's still extremely amazing and exciting if you're a Banjo fan. It has the heart and soul of Banjo. The music is perfect (they got the exact same sound people/composer, which is super important to me).

If you're not familiar with Yooka Laylee from the last thread, it's basically a new company called Playtonic, formed from a bunch of ex Rare employees. Their first project is a Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor. It had a kickstarter campaign and did really well. Some people have lumped the game in with other titles they've deemed upcoming vaporware, but I don't see how anyone could think that given the level of skill of the team and how many original members from old Rare are now at Playtonic.

This guy is pretty annoying at times, but out of the half dozen toybox videos it seems to be the one that covers most of the areas in the demo. Can't wait for this!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Always loved Banjo Kazooie. The worlds were so well done. I think the most exciting thing for me were seeing the speedruns that came from Mario/Banjo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Backed this on Kickstarter and can't wait for it. I loved Banjo-Kazooie, which in many ways out-Mario 64ed Mario 64. Loved the music, loved the character design, loved the colorful worlds, loved the humor and jibberish-talk. Having said that, I played it for a little while recently and it seems that dying in a level resets your progress in that level, leading to much wasted time. I hope they don't keep that particular mechanic in Yooka-Laylee.

I love this guy:
trowza.png

The idea of a snake wearing shorts is delightfully absurd. Plus his name is Trowzer (as in Trowzer Snake)

trowza.png

• 1Like

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Oh, and I LOVED how the music changed dynamically based on where you were in the level (in Banjo-Kazooie). That added a lot to the immersion and I'm floored that more games didn't make use of that technique. I really hope they do the same thing in Yooka-Laylee.

• 2Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Oh, and I LOVED how the music changed dynamically based on where you were in the level (in Banjo-Kazooie). That added a lot to the immersion and I'm floored that more games didn't make use of that technique. I really hope they do the same thing in Yooka-Laylee.

I loved that. It's so subtle but it adds a HUGE amount of immersion ! Great point as to why Banjo was so good.

There's also a new trailer I missed:

Omg. So much love. It's like we're back in the good ol' days, just with improved graphics.

And

are both new gameplay from Gamescon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
A bat riding a lizard >>>>>> bird riding a bear. Kinda sad it's a 2017 release

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
I had no idea this was in production but I am very happy to hear it! I loved both banjo kazooie and banjo tooie on the original N64 and still feel as that console had the best platformer games, and the best ones were made by rare. Sadly after Microsoft bought them out nothing really good came out but this looks solid, maybe I'll go back to being part-peasant after not buying a console since the original Wii when this gets released.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
this game comes out next week, review embargo drops tomorrow (~24 hours) but some early reviews leaked out and are 8/10 and 10/10 from rando sites
Yooka-Laylee Review
Video Game Review – Yooka-Laylee

however, jim sterling (the fat british dude who dresses up like a nazi or V for Vendetta guy) said in a podcast that

Jim Sterling said:
They've apparently gotten review copies so they can't really talk about it until the embargo goes up but Jim said "if you pre-ordered it, think twice" (at around 32:30) and they both made some very unimpressed, ominous-sounding noises to describe their feelings on it. Later, Jim says "If you've looked at trailers and ever thought it looked a bit choppy" and then, shortly thereafter, "Yeah, yeah, a bit is not quite it." (Starting around the 41 minute mark.) I assume that refers to the game's performance being bad, though they make it sound like that may not be its only problem.

So yeah, hard to tell right now but I guess if you have it pre ordered keep an eye on reviews starting tomorrow. I cancelled my pre order, got too much shit to play and persona 5 tomorrow, i'll pick this game up at 50% off in a month

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just some of the games Jim says are better than Zelda (at 7/10)

Resident Evil 7 (8.5/10)
Gravity Rush 2 (7.5/10)
Final Fantasy XV (8/10)
Dead Rising 4 (8/10)
Watch Dogs 2 (9/10)
Titanfall 2 (9.5/10)
Gears of war 4 (7/10, same)
Kirby: Planet Robobot (9/10)

Everyone has their own opinions, but this guy definitely does not align with mine

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Jim was just click baiting. Why people pay attention to that cuck I'll never know.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, Jim sterling as a click bait faggot confirmed. Go through the other games he's rated, and there's just no way this is worse than them.

I don't know if I'll even play this game, but the reviews I've seen in no way justify a 2/10. Everyone says it's pretty much a 1990s platformer that doesn't add some of the newer features people expect (like a world map). Tons of content, huge world, fun puzzles, decent to good writing. All for half the price of most new release games. I'm sure if you replace the main characters with Kirby that retard would give it a 9/10.

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
Them removing Jontron's voice from the game in order to virtue signal to neogaf and then showing how hypocritical they are by refusing to refund the kickstarter backers who were pissed off by that decision (too virtuous to have a "bigot" voice their game, but not so virtuous to take a "bigots" money) already solidified my stance on not buying this game, even if it wasn't getting trashed by reviewers.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I Kickstarter'ed the game so I'm already in. Just got back from being out of the country for a while so I haven't had a chance to play it. Will probably get on that tonight.

Tactician

Ancient
I can say there are some camera issues in areas that cause frustrating jumps like the reviews say, but it's not hampering the fun I'm having. Feels like the old rare game magic to me

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's kind of a bizarre game right now, you have "journalists and critics" calling it mediocre and not that good then when I talk to people they are enjoying it and platformer streamers are enjoying it as well. Guess they didn't cut the check big enough for review sites.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Them removing Jontron's voice from the game in order to virtue signal to neogaf and then showing how hypocritical they are by refusing to refund the kickstarter backers who were pissed off by that decision (too virtuous to have a "bigot" voice their game, but not so virtuous to take a "bigots" money) already solidified my stance on not buying this game, even if it wasn't getting trashed by reviewers.
people deserved to get fleeced for getting involved in these fucking kick-starters.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Making me think back to Banjo makes me realize how much N64 truly was, and still is, the king of 3D platformers.