Yooka-Laylee: Team behind Banjo-Kazooie making a new platformer in the same style

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Kickstarter is (was) a means so that regular every day people with a great idea and the talents to make it come true could get the funding they don't have and couldn't get through traditional means (mainly because of no proven track record) to make their idea a reality.

It really sours me when people/companies/teams who have already laid claim to fame and already have a proven track record (So much so they just had to put their old company name (Rare) in the title of the kickstarter campaign), and have already produced great work who have more than enough resources and ease of acquiring funding to do it themselves would rather turn to Kickstarter (read: you and me) for their funding of the risks of the venture. This isn't a split off either - the company making this is basically Rare Ltd minus one person - they have had years of proven track records. This is the company that released Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark. Anyone think they can't get funding for this? Please.

All they are doing is asking you to be the venture capitalists instead of a venture capital firm or putting their own money on the line. They want you to assume all the risks, while avoiding having to pay you anything more than a tshirt, the game, and some swag for when the game is a resounding success (most likely will be).

Maybe my opinion isn't shared and that's fine, but I equate this with the saying of "Why do we socialize the risks and privatize the profits of a bank?". That's exactly what this kind of thing does. It's one thing when someone has a great idea and simply not the funding to make it happen, you sell it to the masses and see if the masses will take it. But when you already have a proven track record, the masses will take it - immediately. They know this. They simply want you to shoulder all the risks, and they don't want to have to pay you back any of that success for your investment.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That's true. Established figures like this certainly steal the limelight from other unknown (and perhaps more needy) causes.

However, I can empathize with the groups' desire to be autonomous and not use a publisher. Publishers (and/or venture capitalists) are the people who take your passion project and figure out how to monetize it (often, to death). For example, they are who you can thank for all those classically single player games from a few years ago having tacked on (shitty) multiplayer. Those resources could've been spent making what the dev team was really passionate about even more awesome, but the guy holding the purse strings said they had to add XYZ. Since feeding your family is kind of important, the dev adds XYZ and bitches anonymously to SJW blogs about how unfair the game industry is.

Ok, maybe not all that, but you get the point.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Kickstarter is (was) a means so that regular every day people with a great idea and the talents to make it come true could get the funding they don't have and couldn't get through traditional means (mainly because of no proven track record) to make their idea a reality.

It really sours me when people/companies/teams who have already laid claim to fame and already have a proven track record (So much so they just had to put their old company name (Rare) in the title of the kickstarter campaign), and have already produced great work who have more than enough resources and ease of acquiring funding to do it themselves would rather turn to Kickstarter (read: you and me) for their funding of the risks of the venture. This isn't a split off either - the company making this is basically Rare Ltd minus one person - they have had years of proven track records. This is the company that released Goldeneye 007, Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark. Anyone think they can't get funding for this? Please.

All they are doing is asking you to be the venture capitalists instead of a venture capital firm or putting their own money on the line. They want you to assume all the risks, while avoiding having to pay you anything more than a tshirt, the game, and some swag for when the game is a resounding success (most likely will be).

Maybe my opinion isn't shared and that's fine, but I equate this with the saying of "Why do we socialize the risks and privatize the profits of a bank?". That's exactly what this kind of thing does. It's one thing when someone has a great idea and simply not the funding to make it happen, you sell it to the masses and see if the masses will take it. But when you already have a proven track record, the masses will take it - immediately. They know this. They simply want you to shoulder all the risks, and they don't want to have to pay you back any of that success for your investment.
All good points and I agree. I'm still really excited about the game. However, you can't blame them completely since publishers are becoming a bigger and bigger pain in the ass these days, and that's partly because of all the crowdfunding available. Hopefully that'll change once crowdfunding slows down even more.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've only Kickstarted two things before and this is now the third. Banjo-Kazooie was awesome and this looks to be very much in the same spirit. Better not suck.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I've only Kickstarted two things before and this is now the third. Banjo-Kazooie was awesome and this looks to be very much in the same spirit. Better not suck.
Couldn't possibly suck with the team they have behind it. Every key developer from Banjo is there, even the guy that composed the music and the guy that voiced Banjo and Kazooie. They also seem to want it to be in the spirit of the original Banjo Kazooie. Also, Donkey Kong 64 was pretty amazing too, if you gave it a chance. I'm just sad I couldn't afford the ?360 pledge (altho it sold out within minutes) for an N64 copy of the game.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Couldn't possibly suck with the team they have behind it. Every key developer from Banjo is there, even the guy that composed the music and the guy that voiced Banjo and Kazooie. They also seem to want it to be in the spirit of the original Banjo Kazooie. Also, Donkey Kong 64 was pretty amazing too, if you gave it a chance. I'm just sad I couldn't afford the ?360 pledge (altho it sold out within minutes) for an N64 copy of the game. Also, the ideas they have for progression are awesome. It'll be just like Banjo with notes and puzzle pieces opening up new areas/worlds, but then you have the added bonus of being able to expand worlds you've already been to, which is just sweet.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Kickstarter is not a zero sum situation. Good ideas(that are well presented) get funded, regardless of the fact that other things are getting funded. I'm all for people cutting out publishers, where possible.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
All good points and I agree. I'm still really excited about the game. However, you can't blame them completely since publishers are becoming a bigger and bigger pain in the ass these days, and that's partly because of all the crowdfunding available. Hopefully that'll change once crowdfunding slows down even more.
Why would publishers become more of a pain in the ass if developers have more avenues to create. I would think the publishers are worse when they have developers by the balls.

I disagree with this ant-established devs sentiment by a large amount. I think established developers can do great things with Kickstarter, and I certainly trust them more than tons of indie vaporware merchants.

In regards to this game. I'd be much more excited if it was A CONKERS SEQUEL! This looks very carbon copy of Banjo-Kazooie, which I absolutely loved twice, but I don't really know if I'm in for the same thing a 3rd time with characters that somehow don't seem as natural.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Kickstarter is essentially the culmination of capitalism.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Just backed this. First time I've ever contributed to a Kickstarter project, but all signs indicate the game will be awesome.