Your favorite moments in video games (Or "WOW" moments"

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
A literal "wow" moment was logging onto WoW for the first time, creating a human warrior and entring Northshire Abbey. The immersion, epic music, dieing from standing in a camp fire, then running to this HUUUGE city of Stormwind.

Also, becoming a Spectre in ME1.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In Phantasy Star 2, at the end, when you realize the bad guys are the surviving Earthlings looking for a new planet after the destruction of Earth. Then your party said "fuck it" and attacks them, knowing they're going to die regardless. That shit blew my 13 year old mind! Now it would just look like some ham-fisted global warming propaganda.

That whole thing was global warming.propaganda even down to the dams

• 1Salty

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Speaking of Mass Effect, I'm playing through them atm and working on ME2. the suicide mission is fucking epic. Totally dependent on how many side quests you did as to who lives and dies. Originally I was expecting the last boss to be something akin to Saren from ME1, but ended up being something else completely huge lol.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Biggest wow moment for me was probably SWG Beta when I first loaded into Tatooine for the first time. It made my inner fan boy squee.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
A literal "wow" moment was logging onto WoW for the first time, creating a human warrior and entring Northshire Abbey. The immersion, epic music, dieing from standing in a camp fire, then running to this HUUUGE city of Stormwind.

Also, becoming a Spectre in ME1.

when i walked into stormwind and saw the giant statues of the crew that went through the dark portal... wow gets a lot of crap but the vision they had when it started was amazing

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been wow'd by both graphics and gameplay;

Graphics:
#1 Super Mario 64. Jaw dropping

#2 Farcy 1. Goofy fun FPS romp with decent multiplayer. Turned on HDR lightning for the 1st time ever and my Nvidia card nearly burst into flame but my god was that jungle map gorgeous

#3 Metal Gear Solid 1. Seeing Snake talk shit about sneaking cigarettes to the mission in his gut, and then lighting up and casually smoking before he murks motherfuckers, TOO COOL

Gameplay
#1 Tie between the SHEER FUCKING MADNESS of WoW Tarren Mill classic pvp and WAR online first month. Regardless of faction, non stop meat grinder gaming that I'll never forget

#2 Xenogears. The ideas, plot, and MUSIC of this game endure, apparently forever. Wild to think that it was released over 20 years ago.

#3 STALKER Shoc. Even among horror greats like SIlent Hill and Fatal Frame, the atmosphere of SHOC sank deeper into my soul than any film, novel or game ever has.

notable mention GFX: Planetside 2
Game: Lunar 2 on the good ole sega CD

• 2Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Was thinking of mentioning Far Cry 1. Was pretty "wowy" crawling through the grass, sniping people on far away bridges.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
My first quarter playing Space Invaders, Tempest and Robotron 2084.

Finishing Ultima IV in two sessions of 40 hrrs straight each when I was in high school.

Finishing Zork I (no hintbook).

Finishing Spindizzy on the C64. Hardest game I ever beat.

Getting grrandmaster ending of Wizardry IV.

My first session of Everquest.

Playing Diablo I free preview thing before it's release.

Starcraft I too.

• 2Faggotry
  • 2Dislike
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Getting to lvl 44 on LoadRunner C64

Doom multiplayer on modems.

Baldur's gate 1-2 - sense of exploration and discovery and just nicely visualized D&D. Story developments quite the hook..

Mass effect - first time a story actually moved me nearly like a good film, especially the end. But just every big plot moment was incredible and I was amazed at the time how bioware combined so much Sci-Fi history into one hell of a compelling story. The whole damn thing was epic.

Eq2 - venekor pvp server, contested mob raiding in kingdom of sky, including pvp defense was probably best MMO moment ever. Guild I was in even announcing the time we were going to attempt the kill to drive up PVP action.

Witcher 3- see mass effect comment , story mattered and felt like a movie. When the redhead chick left in that boat.

#1 is Skyrim - exploring, sandbox I still play it to this day. Just the whole damn thing.

Battlefield Vietnam - drinking a 6 pack of Budweiser and smoking cigs, listening to the music from that era and my GF at the time coming over and was like WTF has happened to you.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Getting to lvl 44 on roadrunner C64

Doom multiplayer on modems.

Baldur's gate 1-2 - sense of exploration and discovery and just nicely visualized D&D. Story developments quite the hook..

Mass effect - first time a story actually moved me nearly like a good film, especially the end. But just every big plot moment was incredible and I was amazed at the time how bioware combined so much Sci-Fi history into one hell of a compelling story. The whole damn thing was epic.

Eq2 - venekor pvp server, contested mob raiding in kingdom of sky, including pvp defense was probably best MMO moment ever. Guild I was in even announcing the time we were going to attempt the kill to drive up PVP action.

Witcher 3- see mass effect comment , story mattered and felt like a movie. When the redhead chick left in that boat.

#1 is Skyrim - exploring, sandbox I still play it to this day. Just the whole damn thing.

Battlefield Vietnam - drinking a 6 pack of Budweiser and smoking cigs, listening to the music from that era and my GF at the time coming over and was like WTF has happened to you.
Bro, Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam were definitely unforgettable and formative gaming experiences that no other FPS ever has come close to for me. The music, the emotes, the transport vehicles, and simple teamwork was amazing.

So sad what Dice has de-volved into.
https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.contentapi.ea.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fbf%2Fen-us%2Fcommon%2Fbf-vietnam-bfnampcscrnscreenshot2.jpg

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Bro, Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam were definitely unforgettable and formative gaming experiences that no other FPS ever has come close to for me. The music, the emotes, the transport vehicles, and simple teamwork was amazing.

So sad what Dice has de-volved into.
https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.contentapi.ea.com%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fbf%2Fen-us%2Fcommon%2Fbf-vietnam-bfnampcscrnscreenshot2.jpg

I played the shit out of battlefield 1942 as well !

Still makes me want to drink beer... TURN UP VOLUME.

Chris

Potato del Grande
when i walked into stormwind and saw the giant statues of the crew that went through the dark portal... wow gets a lot of crap but the vision they had when it started was amazing
Yeah that was cool, not many people knew who they were either. I think most of the WoW players came from Warcraft 3 - me included but I went back to play Warcraft 2 and expansion.

Sucks that 3 of them just ended up being minor Burning Crusade quest givers, though they went back later and made Khadgar more important. Then they made the last two really anime with holy and shadow powers.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i would have liked danath to have had a larger role, it sort of feels like they've forgotten about him... and yeah, they made turalyon and windrunner super tropey because they want to focus on the idea of the light and shadow not being exactly what we thought those things were

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Lots of stuff in EQ and WoW, playing FFII & III on SNES with my dad.

More recently tho, the sequence in God of War where BOY is sick and Kratos realizes what he has to do to survive the Ice. The whole boat ride, busting through the floor, strapping up the blades, then the first fight with them, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. One of my favorite moments in any game I have ever played or watched.

• 2Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Was thinking of mentioning Far Cry 1. Was pretty "wowy" crawling through the grass, sniping people on far away bridges.

Until that fucking stealth section. That game went from one of the best at the time to one of the worst.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Dark Forces
Basically my first FPS experience as a kid. I was terrible at the game, but with a lot of time and perseverance, I got to the end. The first time you run into a Dark Trooper, I think I shit my pants.

220px-Dark_Forces_box_cover.jpg
Just getting that game to run on my shitty Packard Bell was a WOW moment for me.

My autistic quest to get that game to run on my piece of shit PC is actually the main reason I know how to IT like a fucking pro today.

"Well, guess I'll read the DOS manual and these reams of print-out FAQs about memory management, boot disks and drivers, go to CompUSA and spend 200 dollars on more RAM and start shoving things into my computer..."

WOW. Nevermind the fact that it takes 8 minutes to load a level, this game is fucking rad.

Beyond that. Onyxia going airborne was definitely a WOW moment, and Ragnaros popping up out of the lava. My actual first WOW moment in WoW was realizing in beta just how fucking big BRD was.

Big world in SMB3 and the airship parts in the last world were WOW moments. The jump to Super Mario World over the original NES was a WOW moment.

Beating Culex in Super Mario RPG and Kefka succeeding in blowing up the world in FF6 was a big WOW surprise. Chronotrigger had too many WOW moments to mention so just that whole game honestly.

The game that WOWed me the most on graphics for its day was actually Max Payne. I built a computer for someone at work to run the game and I was pretty floored, that game was way ahead of its time graphically I thought.

As for Ut's post, this is actually the moment that punched me in the gut in Bioshock: Infinite:

But that first conversation with Sovereign is definitely my favorite story moment in a video game. Algalon's speech in WoW was pretty well up there too.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Szlia

The first thing that spring to mind is solving a clever puzzle in Snatcher. It's a japanese style text adventure game by Hideo Kojima which is a mix of Blade Runner, Terminator and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The thing is I played it in japanese with very limited notion of the language and the clever puzzle required text input and was part visual clues and part word play... also this was pre-internet, I was the only idiot playing it that I knew and no one was fluent in japanese in my circle of friends. I don't think it took me that much time to solve the puzzle, but at first it seemed so insurmountable a task and the puzzle ended up being so clever that almost 30 years later I remember it vividly.

Playing a strange unknown game at the Konami booth at the ECTS in 1998. It immediately intrigued me because of its mundane american mid west setting and two minutes into the demo, you walk in a narrow L shaped alleyway and you get the most intricate 3D camera movement ever devised. WOW. The game was Silent Hill.

When you arrive in Kathmandu in Uncharted 2 (honorable mention in the same game: the nepalese village).

The first time you jump in Journey. The carefully designed friction of the leap, flight and subsequent slide-landing managed to turn one of the most basic video game action into a pure elation engine (honorable mention in the same game: just about everything).

At the end of 1990, having somewhat recently bought a NES and being told about some new store in town that is importing video games from Japan. Going there, finding the store closed, but as window dressing there was a TV with the running demo of F-Zero on SFC... WOW!