Your Movies of the Year list

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I thought Creed and the Martian were as good/slightly better than Mad Max too. Max was fun and really good but I do think there's an echo chamber effect with it.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I thought Creed and the Martian were as good/slightly better than Mad Max too. Max was fun and really good but I do think there's an echo chamber effect with it.
Ding, ding, ding. I really enjoyed Max, but I notice my older relatives & friends hold it in a different air than I do.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Hard to be a God is monumental but I must say that I have no love for these films that feel like never ending fever dreams such as The Hourglass Sanatorium or some (but not all) of the movies of Guy Maddin or Aleksandr Sokurov... now that I write that, I remember enjoying Lars von Trier's The Element of Crime that kinda falls into the same category... mmmh...
Not occidental enough for you?

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Thanks for the list, Szila. I have to check out Meeting Mr. Sun and the new Kitano one, even though nothing he done came close to Sonatine in my opinion. I really love that movie for some reason.

Spanish noir movie looks good aswell.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will add Creed as my number 10. That was very well done. The movie had a very nice pacing that did an excellent job of remembering the past while still moving forward.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'll start by saying I hate movie theaters with a passion so I rarely go out to a movie, so I don't catch a lot of them until I'm able to rent/download them. So I haven't seen Star Wars, Creed, or the Hateful 8 (which I'm sure I'll love) as of yet but have snuck in a few screeners.

Loved:
The Martian: This was my favorite movie of the year not only because the movie itself was pretty great but also helped add momentum and publicity to what was a pretty momentous year for space exploration.

Straight Outta Compton:Has a few pacing issues/flaws and definitely has some revisionist history going on, but I thought it was really well done overall.

Ex Machina:Loved the way this approached the subject-matter.

The Big Short:If I had an Oscar vote this would get my Best Picture nod. Well acted, great balance of drama with humor that plays perfectly with the absurdity of the situation, and I loved the way the broke the 4th wall.

Liked:
Mad Max:Best action movie I've seen in a long time.

Marvel Stuff:Appeals to my inner geek.

Hated:
Specter:What a steaming pile of letdown this was.

I don't get into artsy stuff much but I did watch the Duke of Burgundy because the subject matter was of interest to me, but man, I just don't get a lot of these artsy/indie films. I feel like often they have about 2/3rds of a fleshed out movie and the fill the rest of the time with a bunch non-sensical imagery stuff. I'm sure there is a point or deeper meaning but most of it flies over my head, maybe I'm just too lowbrow.

Finally, FWIW I still think the small screen is blowing away the big screen in terms quality productions. Better Call Saul and Fargo were two of the best things I watched this year.

Szlia

Not occidental enough for you?
Nah... I can make a pretty big pile with the eastern european films I love and Guy Maddin is a Canadian fascinated by early Hollywood. I guess what sets Element of Crime apart in this little 'fever dream' selection is that, in it, the form is justified by the fact it's all the memories of someone during an hypnosis session.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In no real order

The Revenant
Force Awakens
Mad Max
Sicario
Trumbo
The Martian
Ant Man
Bone Tomahawk
Hateful 8
Krampus

Worst movie of the year is either Blackhat or Pan.

Nendyen_sl

shitlord
The Martian
Trainwreck
Bridge of Spies
Spotlight
Mr. Holmes
Force Awakens

I didn't see any real stinkers in the theater last year. It was a good year.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I just realized I haven't seen most of the movies pointed out here. Which makes my list much easier:

1. Mad Max
2. Mad Max
3. Mad Max
4. Mad Max
5. Mad Max
6. The Hateful 8
7. Ant Man
8. Mad Max
9. Mad Max
10. Force Awakens (I guess I can put this in there even though I didn't really care for it because I haven't seen almost any of the other movies people are mentioning)

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just realized I haven't seen most of the movies pointed out here. Which makes my list much easier:

1. Mad Max
2. Mad Max
3. Mad Max
4. Mad Max
5. Mad Max
6. Mad Max
7. Mad Max
8. Mad Max
9. Mad Max
10. Force Awakens (I guess I can put this in there even though I didn't really care for it because I haven't seen almost any of the other movies people are mentioning)
Yea, I'm in the same boat. Fixed it to reflect the movies I watched this year.

spronk

FPS noob
you should really watch martian, man from uncle, kingsman, ultron, ant man, ex machina, and beasts of no nation

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I saw Beasts of No Nation, thought about putting it in my list but I just don't know how I feel about it. Totally forgot about Kingsman, I did see that. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

But I'm downloading Man From Uncle and Ex Machina as we speak.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I put U.N.C.L.E. on my list, but im not sure why I liked it so much. I think it was a refreshing take on spy films like Kingsman even though they are polar opposites