The Wire: Greatest Show Ever Made

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think all the people who exist in the world that think season two is the best have posted.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
<--

season 2 is awesome. I like season 4 best, because Michael and Dookie and Bodie and shit. But yeah, it is fiercely unappreciated.

iannis

Musty Nester
SHITBIRDS.

s2 is just jarring, but the series wouldn't be nearly as good without it and the season itself isn't bad.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Season 3 is the best because of Avon + Stringer

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
They should have a Chicago Wire. Could you imagine??

Get on that Araysar.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I'm out of the drug game, bro. I dont do that shit no more.

South side of Chicago would be an awesome setting though for a sequel.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Season 2 isn't the best, but it's a really good season. It shows not only how the upper echelons of criminals never get caught, but also how the economy is the biggest indicator of whether people turn to crime. Watching dock workers who could once support an entire family, slowly erode until they can't even afford car payments unless they ship drugs? It's an essential part of the story. Every facet fits together to show how crime isn't something inherently bad people do--it's something that happens when inequality has reached levels where people start to lose hope. When someone feels like they have nothing to lose, societies control fades.

That's why The Wire is great...It's the story about the slowDeathof a City.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The aquarium is cool. And some of the Marina's in the Inner Harbor. Also the clam chowder. I dig it.
yeah Inner Harbor is great. Tons of shit to do and there is also Fort McHenry which is amazing as well.

p.s. I loved Season 2 as well.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Most people who stuck with it enjoy season two, more often than not after a full series rewatch. Ziggy's character for example seems terrible first time round but watching it again knowing whats coming and the motivations behind it all give it much more oomph.

4 >> 3 >> 1 >> 2 --------> 5

I may rate 2 the fourth best season but that's still above 99.9% of shit that's on telly. 5's still okay but the newspaper stuff just wasn't as well written as the docks, the school, Hamsterdam or just plain Bodymore in season one. The know-it-all character that was played by Simons right hand man being an especially obvious culprit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't get all the love for season 4. The school stuff, with all the troubled kids, I found boring as hell.

iannis

Musty Nester
Hamsterdam is about as close to a realistic and honest consideration of the multifaceted challenges of drug legalization as you're gonna get in television short of a documentary/political piece. It's not close to perfect, but it's more honest than a political piece would be and more useful than a documentary piece would be.

Edit: That season was really about hamsterdam. The troubled kids (why they are that way and how to help them) was integral to it. Plus we got to see Shitbird, Jr. grow into a decent human being and we got to see Carver mature into being good po-lice -- which was also nice. Overarching message of the season (and the show, really): The system is broke as shit, but not everyone in it is retarded. In fact the only reason it doesn't completely fall the fuck apart is because of that 1/10th "not a shitbird" minority.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Well they broke the seasons up into themes so the schools had to be addressed at some point. I certainly wouldnt know how to make it better, even though Season 4 is my least favorite by far. The only good thing to come out of it is Michael Lee. All those other kids were bitches.

S1 = blacks
S2 = whites
S3 = city politics
S4 = schools
S5 = media

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't get all the love for season 4. The school stuff, with all the troubled kids, I found boring as hell.
Wasn't S4 the
rrr_img_42538.jpg
season?

That was an awesome story.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I actually loved how underwhelming the death of Omar was, also. He didn't go out in a blaze of glory the way most shows make a lead character die.

Instead it was a very realistic end. He gets killed by a kid in a convenience store. Shit happens. The kid won't even go to jail.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Overall 3 for me (Avon and Stringer on the roof gives me chills on every rewatch), but Ireallylove the ending in season 1. After the buildup in the final couple episodes it's just so anti climactic and I loved that about it. In your normal action or drama series it would be a letdown, but in this show it was like, yeah...this is probably how this really would have gone down.

Every season has moments you'll never forget though. Few people the last few posts saying 4 is their least favorite, but I bet you'd admit the Bunk/Omar "no more bodies" scene is still one of the best in the whole series. And for me as much as 5 was a letdown overall I still stand up and cheer during the ending montage when Slim steps up and does his thing.