10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Don't let a good story get in your way Chaos.

Or......

JJ bought "The Cellar" from two kids for 25,000. He put aliens in at the end. Collect 200 million. He Donald trumped this movie. Just slapped his name on another persons good work and pretended he's a genius.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
As someone who doesn't care much about scary movies, I had never seen the original Cloverfield. I knew almost nothing going into this one.

I liked it. I guess the story could be in any setting but I felt like the choice the gal was faced with was a good plot device. I felt like she had to decide either A) This guy is a kidnapping rapist or B) There really is bad shit out there. And guess what? It's both! I thought it was fun. Goodman was foreshadowed a bit too much for me but I had a fun ride and that's all I was looking for. I had no loyalty to the brand or expectations of the story what so ever and I had a good time.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Don't let a good story get in your way Chaos.

Or......

JJ bought "The Cellar" from two kids for 25,000. He put aliens in at the end. Collect 200 million. He Donald trumped this movie. Just slapped his name on another persons good work and pretended he's a genius.
It felt like extra things tacked onto another movie because that's literally what it was.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
It felt like extra things tacked onto another movie because that's literally what it was.
Yes. Telling me Abrams says otherwise doesn't mean anything. That's just more marketing. I'll give them credit though because it seems like it worked.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. The final act felt rushed.

Caliane

Inclined to think so as well.
this has been done before, as a concept. Twilight zone, outer limits. Pretty sure theres a movie on netflix.(pervy dude has girl trapped with him, iirc. insists shes safe inside with him, she doesn't remember how she got in there) people trapped in a bunker. We the viewer don't know whats outside. (even Kimmy Schmit)
So this seems the same setup. Crazy dude has bunker, gets people inside. Insists they are only safe inside with him. whole movie is then the drama of them starting to freak out, have enough and doubt the truth. (most of these end up with, nope crazy dude was right, it really was the end of the world.)

so, is there a twist?
back when this came out, I knew there was SOMETHING with a nearly identical plot, from a few years ago. But for the life of me, could not figure out what it was.
Reddit was talking about this today, and someone knew/linked it.

Metal Hurlant Chronicles. (heavy metal)
Shelter me.
Did I Leave Something At 10 Cloverfield Lane? - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Great Movie, hate shaky "I'm artsy" cam style films so never watched Cloverfield, this was great as its own thing. No need to suffer the crappy new/wave shaky cam of Cloverfield.

Today's directors dont get it and I feel never had to suffer the early days of home movies. That whole thing just alienates 25% to 50% of your viewer base due to becoming physically ill trying to watch their completed art. It isnt "Edgy", its poor understanding of film style.
*rant off

So I was more interesting if Goodman's character and the substory with that. How long was he in there before things hit. How many?

I think his wife and original daughter were going to leave him and he snapped and killed them and did the acid dip, he then replaced his daughter with another girl via kidnapping and repeated that over and over once they started to try to leave him.
Just wondering how many times he did the kidnapping, there is the one girl but I suspect there were more. Would need to watch it again a few times to see but if I remember right the dude was saying that girl disappeared years ago which might mean he may have had more than just her living there before the main character shows up.