10 Day Eviction Notice

slowstang_sl

shitlord
Hey Guys, I don't normally post often but got a letter on my door this morning and not sure what to do or if it's even legal. So I have a down stairs neighbor that has been a noisy asshole since the day he moved in with his bass as loud as it can go since he moved in about 8 months ago, I have complained to the management staff twice for noise and once for weed and nothing happened. On 9/1/2014 we were watching around 10:30pm and the neighbor pounds on the ceiling and my girlfriend kicked the floor in retaliation, the dude runs up the stairs and he and my girlfriend get in a verbal argument, I calm things down before she calls the cops and agree to use headphones after 10pm. This guy is always hitting the ceiling so all out speakers have foam pads under them.

Now today as we are leaving for work, we have 10-day eviction notice on the door. We have have had zero notices up to this point. So my questions are is this legal and is there anything we can do to fight it? If we have to move in 10 days do we get our 20 remaining days of rent back?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
What state are you in? In all likelihood, no, they can't evict you in 10 days having given you no prior notice or chance to contest.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'd plan on moving when your 30 day rent period is up.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Why don't you just find a new place? This obviously is not working out for you. I know moving sucks but it's better than dealing with a shitty neighbor who will constantly be battling you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Before asking us to help you, you should probably tell us the whole story.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Obviously slowstang's wifi is keeping the downstairs neighbor up and the loud music is the only way to combat it.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
Yeah I have a feeling there are two shitty neighbors in this equation
Maybe the case, I don't know how loud our walking around is or how loud the cat is when it plays. We have had to turn our sub on a few times when they were blasting music because our walls were shaking and we couldn't hear our own TV five feet away, but this hasn't happened often. But I believe their main complaint from what I heard the other night was that we were walking up their baby who is in the room directly below my office. I can't just stop using a room after a certain time because they have a kid below it... I placed foam pads under speaks and bought a Logitech 930 several months ago to help keep noise down. I installed a Foscam to record the living room 24/7 last night to prove we weren't doing anything crazy, but wasn't expecting this notice this morning.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
Why don't you just find a new place? This obviously is not working out for you. I know moving sucks but it's better than dealing with a shitty neighbor who will constantly be battling you.
We were planning on moving when our lease runs out January but right now is a horrible time to find a place for me. I just paid a semesters tuition, so I'm kind of broke and working full time/full time school doesn't leave a lot of time to find a place and move into it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bro, you don't foam out your office, buy headphones and install a video cam to record your living room because your neighbors are pissed you made a noise complaint.

When the guy complained about the noise, what did he say?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you guys also have a kid/baby? (doesn't sound like it) thin floors/foam padding and cat, basically you loose. you yourself b/c you used the padding have proven that the floors are thin, you've also proven that rather than talking out differences, you would rather retaliate (stomp on the floor) rather than ring a doorbell. you have a non restricted (i assume) animal that is allowed to hop and prance around 24/7.

this is from an outside objector, this is probably what the story the landlord got, the neighbor on top will always be the "troublemaker" cuz of the floor/ceiling. and an animal?

no landlord is gonna fight against the bottom neighbor with a baby.

slowstang_sl

shitlord
Bro, you don't foam out your office, buy headphones and install a video cam to record your living room because your neighbors are pissed you made a noise complaint.

When the guy complained about the noise, what did he say?
Well the reason we had to make a complaint instead of talking to them was because we never saw them outside and they have a locked gate that seals off their patio area. When I finally did see them I told them they probably were getting a notice because of noise and that I couldn't reach them directly. He replied that we were also loud in his babies room (my office) which is why I went out and bought headphones and stuff to soften the speaker vibrations in the first place. Noise on their part got worse and nothing ever happened with it.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm with Tuco, there is something fishy here. The eviction process is no simple task and no one is just going to initiate it out of the blue. You said he put a notice on your door, what does it say is the cause of eviction? They can't just post something that says "get out" or even "I'm going to kick you out" without informing you why.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Did you guys all miss the part where he said his downstairs neighbor works for/at the apartment complex AND has a kid? They are having a noise complaint battle. He isn't gonna win this one no matter what he tries.